Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 1st, Leaf 2016 30kW SVE
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I've noticed in the last few days that when I start our ID.4 up I get a front assist starting icon on the cockpit screen (car inside a wheel with timer).
It goes away after about 10-15 seconds, but I can't remember this showing up when I first got the car last week.
The weather was poor here over the last few days, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,875 Posts
Hi everyone

I've noticed in the last few days that when I start our ID.4 up I get a front assist starting icon on the cockpit screen (car inside a wheel with timer).
It goes away after about 10-15 seconds, but I can't remember this showing up when I first got the car last week.
The weather was poor here over the last few days, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it?
Is this before you’ve wiped the windscreen of rain etc?

Although the IDs have the radar etc, they also make use of the windscreen mounted camera, I get the error message ‘Front Assist Is Limited’ or some such if I’m driving in dense fog.

If it clears shortly after, it doesn’t sound like anything to be concerned about.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st, Leaf 2016 30kW SVE
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought, we had some heavy hailstone showers over the last few days when the icon showed up so hopefully will clear itself.

Has anyone had to clean the front camera yet?

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
181 Posts
Hi everyone

I've had my ID.4 for just over a week now ... one day 1, 3 & 4 it threw up ACC faults (I've had ACC on my Golf before, so I know how it works/functions), cleaned the "sensor areas", on the ID.4 it relies upon the camera and doppler/sensor. The camera is at the top/centre of the windscreen, and the Doppler unit is just below the VW badge at the front. If you look inside the bonnet, it's a square box, just ensure both these zones externally are clear.

Initially the ACC faults came on briefly on days 1 & 3, then all morning on day 4 !

BUT - then I've been having other issues (so I don't actually think it's a genuine issue with the ACC unit - as two people in the US - have reported the same problem with their ID.4's) ... firstly ACC issues, then "electrical drive fault".

The car has thrown up "Electrical Drive faults, take to workshop" errors, now done this on 2 occasions (the car is only 8 days old!) Currently Waiting for VW to get my car into a dealer to get this attended to / look at this ! Might only be down to either a sensor issue, or over-sensitive tolerances causing these issues - but they need to be checked out !

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is this before you’ve wiped the windscreen of rain etc?

Although the IDs have the radar etc, they also make use of the windscreen mounted camera, I get the error message ‘Front Assist Is Limited’ or some such if I’m driving in dense fog.

If it clears shortly after, it doesn’t sound like anything to be concerned about.
I would generally agree (having had ACC before on my MK7 Golf - driven 126k miles!) - the ACC system can occasionally throw up sporadic errors, sometimes passing lorries that must have proximity/safety detection, certain times of the day when bright light can confuse it (I have two regular places I knew the ACC on the Golf would "error", one was when I would exit the Blackwall Tunnel in London, going North-bound), and as Tooks say's in extremes of fog or hail, or dirt on the sensor front would trigger warnings.

But my issue(s) with the ID.4 on this occasion and the ACC issues (and the same reported by 2 US owners) seam to be "more" related to some sort of electrical fault, as the ACC errors happened first, soon followed by the electrical drive issue ! :-(

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,875 Posts
I would generally agree (having had ACC before on my MK7 Golf - driven 126k miles!) - the ACC system can occasionally throw up sporadic errors, sometimes passing lorries that must have proximity/safety detection, certain times of the day when bright light can confuse it (I have two regular places I knew the ACC on the Golf would "error", one was when I would exit the Blackwall Tunnel in London, going North-bound), and as Tooks say's in extremes of fog or hail, or dirt on the sensor front would trigger warnings.

But my issue(s) with the ID.4 on this occasion and the ACC issues (and the same reported by 2 US owners) seam to be "more" related to some sort of electrical fault, as the ACC errors happened first, soon followed by the electrical drive issue ! :-(
Yes, could be, is it on the latest software release?

Whilst it could be a genuine fault, those intermittent errors have the hallmarks of the older software.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, could be, is it on the latest software release?

Whilst it could be a genuine fault, those intermittent errors have the hallmarks of the older software.
Yes - it's on 2.1 (confirmed by the dealer, and VW MK) ... :-(

The additional point that 2 other users in the US with ID.4's also on 2.1 having the same issues is of concern.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi everyone

Is there a possibility that the issue might be due to misting on the inside of the windscreen in the camera area and after you get in and the airflow across the windscreen clears the misting a short while after. Have read something like this on the MG forum. Quite likely as you have said the weather has been a bit naff lately,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts