Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Christchurch to Baintree Gridserve... about 170 miles

Recharged to get home;
1st. 7 minutes - Tesla Model 3 LR
2nd. 16 minutes - Audi e-tron 55
3rd. 16 minutes - Hyundai Kona
4th. 19 minutes - Kia e-Nero
5th. 19 minutes - VW ID4
6th. 44 minutes - X75D
7th. 57 minutes - 2014 Tesla S85

Recharged to replenish ALL used.
1st. 27 minutes - Audi Etron 55
2nd. 35 minutes - Tesla Model 3 LR
3rd. c. 48 minutes - VW ID4
4th. 60 minutes - Hyundai Kona

The rest didn’t quite replenish. Too slow/had to leave etc.
Kia e-Nero stopped after 60 minutes at 92%
Model X stopped after 54 minutes at 91%
S85 stopped after 57 minute at 84%

Most expensive car to refill: etron £14.98 to charge to 100%

Then the theoretical range was interesting based upon the sunny day (this would have been Friday 2nd I think and it was >18C)
1st. Tesla Model 3 LR - 324 - 4.7miles/kWh
2nd. Hyundai Kona - 306 - 4.7miles/kWh
3rd. Kia e-Nero -289 - 4.3miles/kWh
4th. VW ID4 - 274 - 3.6miles/kWh
5th. Audi e-tron 55 - 237 - 2.9miles/kWh
6th. X75D -215 - 3.17miles/kWh
6th. 2014 Tesla S85 215 - 3.46miles/kWh

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It was an interesting test because it was drive out to somewhere where you need a recharge to get home, but how long a recharge is enough to get you home.

What I realised is my wife wont want to do long drives in the car... Im the one who would be doing all the calculations in my head. She would just give up!
So an intersting app, would be one which says to get home how much do you need to charge to!
Also it makes me realise that charging to 50-60% twice might be quicker than charging to 90% once on a long drive. I guess something to learn... number of stops vs waiting time at stop.

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
291 Posts
I watched that, very interesting video! I was a bit miffed that he never actually gave the charging rate for the ID.4 (I'm pretty sure he checked the current rate for all the other cars at least once), as I was quite curious to see what it would be. But a great video overall. Maybe I'll drive down to Braintree myself this weekend and test my ID.4... 😂

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I worked it out...
@22:15 in the video you see the screen
52%
10.82kWh delivered
08:27 delivery time

that works out at about 77kWh for the first 9 mins, but not sure what it peaked at.
there is another video where someone does the charging profile and it is pretty good and holds 125kWh up to to 30%ish then starts ramping down... which would be in line with what we see here because it wouldnt have started with a low enough charge to give 125kWh, it probably started at sub 100kWh

Now apparently the firmware can be modified to change charge profiles, so it will be interesting to see if we see changes of the next two years as they get a better understanding of what the batteries can handle.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
649 Posts
Amazing how the Kona and e-Niro keep punching above their weight...

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,892 Posts
It was a really interesting video. The etron with the mad charging speeds is probably the most eye opening. Means you don't have to choose a particular battery level to get a good speed as it seems to charge quickly most of the time.

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
291 Posts
Amazing how the Kona and e-Niro keep punching above their weight...
We looked really hard at both of them, especially the Kona. Their efficiency really is top-notch. It is just a shame their boots are so tiny...
It was a really interesting video. The etron with the mad charging speeds is probably the most eye opening. Means you don't have to choose a particular battery level to get a good speed as it seems to charge quickly most of the time.
The eTron's charging rates really surprised me. We didn't really look at it when we were shopping around recently, because £62k is way out of our price range, but it is an impressive piece of tech!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it means the ionic 5 and the ev6. might be interesting options in the future.

·
Miki
45 Posts
It was an interesting test because it was drive out to somewhere where you need a recharge to get home, but how long a recharge is enough to get you home.

What I realised is my wife wont want to do long drives in the car... Im the one who would be doing all the calculations in my head. She would just give up!
So an intersting app, would be one which says to get home how much do you need to charge to!
Also it makes me realise that charging to 50-60% twice might be quicker than charging to 90% once on a long drive. I guess something to learn... number of stops vs waiting time at stop.
You are absolutely right about en route charging. Just watch what Bjorn is doing. He always works out how much charge he needs based on vehicle consumption and weather conditions.
He just drove to the Arctic Circle and back from Oslo with the ID.4 Max.

Part 1:
Part 2:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

A Better Route Planner does exactly that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts