Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen a solid number on the ID.4's towing capacity? I've seen anywehre from 1,000 to 1,900 kg, but I'm curious if there are official numbers anywere. We're been thinking about getting a caravan at some point down the road (probably 3+ years), but the smallest ones we've seen that would actually fit our family tend to be around 1,250-1,500 kg.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The rating is in the owners manual page 383, 1000kg at 12 % incline 1200kg at 8% incline for the UK. I would suggest you use one of the free caravan/car outfit match websites nearer the time to match car and caravan weight ratios.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know how long it takes for a 3rd party towbars to be released for new cars? Or if there is one available for the id4?
I'm looking at an id4 in stock which doesn't have a towbar fitted and could do with being able to put bikes on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is one available from VW part number 11A092160, I will be having it fitted in a few weeks providing the dealer can get the parts. From the conversation I have had so far it is the swivelling type I imagine as per the factory fit. I emailed Westfalia and Thule(Brink) to see if they had a version coming out soon but they advised nothing was available as yet.

There is no price available for the VW tow bar as yet but I would expect it would be in the region of the factory fitted price around £850.00 but who knows it may be more expensive.
I decided that I will go down the VW route as I then have a 2 year guarantee on the parts etc but more importantly for me is that they will code the car and they will then have to pick up any coding/software errors at the dealer rather than getting into a discussion ref non VW electrics and coding.

Any other car then I would have taken it to a third party for the tow bar and electrics but I am not taking any chances with an ID vehicle.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
169 Posts
Agree with VWID4 Life... I think its too early to be using 3rd party fittngs with touch the electrics. I would look at that in a few years time when the firmware and impact of towbars and the electronics is better understood.

Not worth the risk of 100 quid saving to then find VW say they cant fix a problem caused by the TP towbar fitting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks all, really useful info. Hopefully there will be a 3rd party kit released that doesn't require splicing into the wiring loom in due course.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The first aftermarket tow bar I have seen has been released by Brink Europe for the ID.4 part number 40033 details are available on their website along with information on the 13 pin electric kit. No indication of prices but will no doubt be cheaper than the VW version. From the pdf fitting instructions available to download it looks like a simple typical tow bar installation with the exception that 2 sensors have to be moved during installation.

The electrics installation require a token to be generated by VW to allow the coding to take place. I am going to stick with my planned VW dealer installation planned for sometime in June when the VW tow bar kit arrives from Germany.

Tokens and control units are subject to a lot of posts on the ID3 forum so I am going to play safe with the installation and not go aftermarket at this time.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just had an update from my dealer today, the tow bar I ordered mid April which was due for delivery today has not arrived. When I spoke to the parts department manager about the non delivery he mentioned that another ID4 owner had also enquired today about the same part number 11A092160.

This led him to establish that the part number on order does not fit ANY ID4 built after week 47/2020 and all current UK ID4 models were built from week 6/2021 onwards.

So I have waited for almost 7 weeks to be told that the listed item does not fit my vehicle it just beggars belief, they have listed a new version of the tow bar but it does not have a price or order number as yet but I have a copy of an email from VW confirming that it will not be available until Q4 of this year Oct to Dec!

Very frustrating day, just waiting for VW customer services to call me back

·
Registered
1 Posts
Following with interest, picking up an ex-demo soon and I'm supposed to have a towbar fitted which has been ordered. Dealer advised lead times of up to a month so suggested I ordered it straight away.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Following with interest, picking up an ex-demo soon and I'm supposed to have a towbar fitted which has been ordered. Dealer advised lead times of up to a month so suggested I ordered it straight away.
If I could suggest that you confirm the part number with the dealer as the only listed part at the moment is the number listed on this thread. I have email confirmation that this part will not fit any UK ID4. If it is different then I would be very interested

1 - 14 of 14 Posts