Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rant alert.

I can't believe some of the posts on Facebook in the ID.3 owners groups. There are people who have bought their ID.3 with no charger at home, and then find out it doesn't come with a 13A granny charger. OK, you could blame the dealers, but don't these people do any research? 馃槨

Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, people are finding bugs of course, and seem to immediately want to reject the car. "Oooo, it misreads the speed limit and slows down!" It's reading mph as kph of course. I'd be more worried if the car speeded up by itself.

They are taking it back for every warning light, despite the fact that 95% of them disappear either very quickly or the next time you restart the car.

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
Rant alert.

I can't believe some of the posts on Facebook in the ID.3 owners groups. There are people who have bought their ID.3 with no charger at home, and then find out it doesn't come with a 13A granny charger. OK, you could blame the dealers, but don't these people do any research? 馃槨
Oh, this is what happens when these things get into the hands of the great unwashed.

Tesla owners were (are?) bad enough, but at least most of them did a lot of reading up and were big enthusiasts.

Just wait until lockdown ends and these people start taking longer trips and complain about broken chargers, lack of RFID or payment options or why their car doesn鈥檛 do the range advertised. ;)

Registered
ID.3 Tour
I think the main reason people want to reject the car is:

1. The amount of software issues, ID.3 owners are Beta testers, so there are going to be lots of software issue,
these are just the ones I know owners have reported, obviously most people will only have a few of these, some are even issues that the latest software cures, nonetheless they are still too many bugs:

Airbag warning light comes on 鈥 this is very common.

12v battery drain / 12v battery dead鈥 a significant number of cars have been 鈥渂ricked鈥 due to 12V battery failure. The manual advises how to jump start. One possible way to avoid the situation is to ensure clean shutdown of the systems 鈥 do not touch the peddles after pressing the park button. However some cars have issues due to unknown causes.

Incorrect speed limit warnings (due to conversion of mph to kmh mixup)

Incorrect ACC speed limit adjustments (due to maps data setting speed at mph equivalent of kmh speed limit, e.g. 12mph, 19mph, 31mph)

Incorrect ACC speed limit adjustments (due to maps data setting speed at intersecting road - usually on motorway

Incorrect ACC speed limit adjustments (due to maps data setting speed at kmh value but in mph 鈥 e.g. 80mph, 90mph, 110mph)

Are we driving on the right or the left? 鈥 headlights settings often say driving on the right

Incorrect ACC prevents overtaking on right 鈥 noted when incorrect speed limit displayed (110mph), perhaps car thinks we are driving on the right and should not undertake?

Key fob can stop working 鈥 See the tips and tricks document for how to unlock manually and reprogram the key

Rear view camera display offset incorrectly

Infotainment system freezes
鈥 hold down the on/off button for 15 seconds to reset

Over aggressive Lane assist 鈥 it is possible to temporarily deactivate

Drive-train warning visit workshop message 鈥 Can occur when getting in and out of the car frequently, door open, on/off drivers seat, thought to be systems not shutting down cleanly/restarting. Stop, switch off car, lock, leave for 1 minute fixed it.

Warnings about forward assistance disabled. Usually transient due to front sensors obscured by moisture/snow? For me this usually clears in a few minutes.

Interior lights not working. On entry to the car sometimes the interior lights do not function, neither in the back or the front. The interior lights are supposed to be switched on automatically when the vehicle is unlocked, a door is opened or the ignition is switched off.

Cabin pre-heating via the app blows cold air at maximum, even though cabin set to 22C.

App does not always reflect accurate data from car
. Possibly connection related.

Some cars have been unable to get connected to the net 鈥 possible eSIM not activated by dealer. Usually requires a visit to the dealer.

Some cars which were online, go offline (crossed out globe in top left on infotainment). Requires an eSIM reboot. There is a procedure that requires removing a fuse to resolve this or a dealer visit is likely required.

Key fob if kept too close to car can keep triggering the welcome lights 鈥 one to be aware of

Car forgets configured driving modes. "Individual" settings reset to "Comfort" and currently selected mode moves to "Comfort"

Reverse camera view sometimes is blank

Climate settings reset to default values randomly

Consumption display sometimes incorrectly shows negative numbers in normal driving
(i.e. when not driving downhill!).

Trip meters all remain zero, data not updated on consumption or speed.

Very slow start up time for main display.
Then response is very laggy for a few minutes.

Laggy movement when flipping between screens or pulling down the brightness control on main display, even when "warmed up".

Windscreen wiper movement setup for left hand drive cars and can't be changed

Climate control sometimes shows reduced capabilities
(one tab only and it's missing functions)

Reports of indicator lights failing (and maybe headlights too?). Returns to normal after re-start.

Keyless Access Stops. For cars set for keyless access, normally you can touch the door handles to unlock and lock. From time to time this will stop, and the key fob has to be used to unlock the car.

2. Another reason is those that pre-booked (and paid full RRP) are rightly p****d off that you can walk into a dealership today and buy an identical 1st Edition for 拢8k less, personally I don鈥檛 agree to people wanting to reject the car for this reason... BUT I fully understand why they would want to.

Registered
Tesla M3 SR+ In a whiter shade of pale
Rant alert.

Rant reply.
I accept that I may be in the minority but,... don't "idiot" and "Facebook" go hand in hand?:rolleyes:

Registered
Renault Zoe 50

1. The amount of software issues, ID.3 owners are Beta testers, so there are going to be lots of software issue,
these are just the ones I know owners have reported, obviously most people will only have a few of these, some are even issues that the latest software cures, nonetheless they are still too many bugs:

12v battery drain / 12v battery dead鈥 a significant number of cars have been 鈥渂ricked鈥 due to 12V battery failure. The manual advises how to jump start. One possible way to avoid the situation is to ensure clean shutdown of the systems 鈥 do not touch the peddles after pressing the park button. However some cars have issues due to unknown causes.

Incorrect ACC speed limit adjustments (due to maps data setting speed at mph equivalent of kmh speed limit, e.g. 12mph, 19mph, 31mph)

Incorrect ACC speed limit adjustments (due to maps data setting speed at intersecting road - usually on motorway

Incorrect ACC speed limit adjustments (due to maps data setting speed at kmh value but in mph 鈥 e.g. 80mph, 90mph, 110mph)

Are we driving on the right or the left? 鈥 headlights settings often say driving on the right

Incorrect ACC prevents overtaking on right 鈥 noted when incorrect speed limit displayed (110mph), perhaps car thinks we are driving on the right and should not undertake?

Key fob can stop working 鈥 See the tips and tricks document for how to unlock manually and reprogram the key

Drive-train warning visit workshop message 鈥 Can occur when getting in and out of the car frequently, door open, on/off drivers seat, thought to be systems not shutting down cleanly/restarting. Stop, switch off car, lock, leave for 1 minute fixed it.

Warnings about forward assistance disabled. Usually transient due to front sensors obscured by moisture/snow? For me this usually clears in a few minutes.

Interior lights not working. On entry to the car sometimes the interior lights do not function, neither in the back or the front. The interior lights are supposed to be switched on automatically when the vehicle is unlocked, a door is opened or the ignition is switched off.

Cabin pre-heating via the app blows cold air at maximum, even though cabin set to 22C.

Some cars have been unable to get connected to the net 鈥 possible eSIM not activated by dealer. Usually requires a visit to the dealer.

Some cars which were online, go offline (crossed out globe in top left on infotainment). Requires an eSIM reboot. There is a procedure that requires removing a fuse to resolve this or a dealer visit is likely required.

Key fob if kept too close to car can keep triggering the welcome lights 鈥 one to be aware of

Car forgets configured driving modes. "Individual" settings reset to "Comfort" and currently selected mode moves to "Comfort"

Consumption display sometimes incorrectly shows negative numbers in normal driving

Laggy movement when flipping between screens or pulling down the brightness control on main display, even when "warmed up".

Reports of indicator lights failing (and maybe headlights too?). Returns to normal after re-start.

Keyless Access Stops. For cars set for keyless access, normally you can touch the door handles to unlock and lock. From time to time this will stop, and the key fob has to be used to unlock the car.

2. Another reason is those that pre-booked (and paid full RRP) are rightly p****d off that you can walk into a dealership today and buy an identical 1st Edition for 拢8k less, personally I don鈥檛 agree to people wanting to reject the car for this reason... BUT I fully understand why they would want to.
A very illuminating summary.

For some reason I keep remembering all this on this forum waiting for the ID.3 because it was finally going to be a properly built, quality EV that had been fully tested. 馃ぃ

Registered
I think I'd be pretty annoyed if I had just one or two of these issues on my new MG5. Obviously it doesn't have any of that complex tech to go wrong but it came with both type 2 and granny cables and scheduled charging works.

In my opinion, safety and convenience features that don't work absolutely flawlessly are downright dangerous.

Registered
From E-Gizmo's list, it looks like VW are selling a car that's not finished yet. I don't blame people for rejecting them.

VW should be supplying a granny cable with these cars, and the dealer network need to be pointing out to customers that they aren't.

Registered
Rant alert.

Of course "they" don't. Never have, even with ICE cars.

Reactions: HandyAndy

Registered
ID.3 Tour
A very illuminating summary.

For some reason I keep remembering all this on this forum waiting for the ID.3 because it was finally going to be a properly built, quality EV that had been fully tested. 馃ぃ
You are confusing build quality and software issues though.

As a Tesla driver you should know the difference.

VW did at least admit (to the 1st Edition pre-bookers at least) that they would be the beta testers for the software.

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
You are confusing build quality and software issues though.

As a Tesla driver you should know the difference.

VW did at least admit (to the 1st Edition pre-bookers at least) that they would be the beta testers for the software.
I鈥檓 a Zoe driver, actually.

So how reliable is this car, 12 volt battery aside?

Registered

Must admit I have never experienced the large number of faults you list. Yes, some like airbag error, and rear reversing camera going black, doors not opening. Annoying little glitches that would clear.

I knew there were software glitches on the 1st Edition. Some people have been experiencing more issues than others. That is the sad point. Things get very amplified via social media.

My major issue is the fact that my car has had the 12 volt battery drain and died. Car will be fixed as it is at the Dealership. The past two months of having the car, annoying glitches aside, I have thoroughly enjoyed the driving experience. Still think it is a brilliant car.

Registered
300 miles and a few weeks in, not a single issue and I'm on software 0564. You have to bear in mind that people only tend to report problems to the Internet and very rarely stories of absolutely nothing interesting happening.

And as for Facebook, I left that group after about 48 hours due to the extreme levels of retardedness. I should have known better though being Facebook and all that.

Ev's are still new enough that you need to do some research and due diligence before you commit to the dotted line. They are not quite yet foolproof.

My biggest wish/complaint is lack of android auto, but I knew that was temporary and I got over 10k off the list price as a form of compensation.

Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

tl;dr

1.x are all software faults with the possible exception of the windscreen wipers which I think is a design choice, like the crazy position of the headlight buttons on RHD cars.

I agree with point 2, but caveat emptor, VW can charge what they want when they want. I still haven鈥檛 found out if the huge price drops are unique to the UK or are Europe wide.

Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
I鈥檓 a Zoe driver, actually.

So how reliable is this car, 12 volt battery aside?
Mine hasn鈥檛 let me down.

The list you refer to is a list of known failure modes/glitches.

My car has suffered about 3 of them, sporadically, it doesn鈥檛 mean all VW ID.3s will have all of them.

I鈥檓 sure similar lengthy lists could be compiled for all cars given enough effort.

I鈥檒l pass judgement on mine when it鈥檚 got the final software.

Registered
ID.3 Tour
1.x are all software faults with the possible exception of the windscreen wipers which I think is a design choice, like the crazy position of the headlight buttons on RHD cars.
Agreed, the wipers which may not be ideal for RHD shouldn鈥檛 really be an issue once you get used to the unusual design.

I鈥檓 not keen on the light panel at all if I'm honest... but this should be a non issue with auto lights.

Mine hasn鈥檛 let me down.

The list you refer to is a list of known failure modes/glitches.

My car has suffered about 3 of them, on sporadic accessions, it doesn鈥檛 mean all VW ID.3s will have all of them.

I鈥檓 sure similar lengthy lists could be compiled for all cars given enough effort.

I鈥檒l pass judgement on mine when it鈥檚 got the final software.
Without a doubt most people will only get a few of the issues (that they notice).
Likewise as they are software issues I am confident they will all be rectified eventually.

OTA updates (when the cars are capable to receive them) are a bit of a double edged sword, yes the car can be updated frequently, but then cars will also rolled out with known bugs as they can be ironed out without dealer intervention.

We are hoping that when ours is ready to be delivered in April, most of the bugs should be sorted.

Registered
tl;dr

like the crazy position of the headlight buttons on RHD cars.
The reason for this is the D/B,N,R control. As currently designed the headlight controls would have been completely obscured had the headlight controls been positioned on the right. Just made sense from a cost perspective to position it to the left.

It is all pretty much auto anyway, apart from switching on the fog light I've not had any reason to use it.

Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
In terms of the granny cable it鈥檚 obvious common sense just to check, I would expect it to be an optional extra.
In terms of the car. The software clearly wasn鈥檛 ready, and many people had no idea the state it was in when they bought it. The list above misses quite a few tbh including heated steering wheel icon disappearing and obviously the laughably terrible voice control.
VW should have a relaxed attitude about accepting returns in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts