Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got our new ID.3 today. Loving it.

I've just noticed the lights have come on. Anyone know why they would do this?

And now they are off.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
1,652 Posts
What were you doing at the time it happened?

I don't know if it is down to the setting or it happens always, when you approach the car it is being friendly and saying hello.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What were you doing at the time it happened?

I don't know if it is down to the setting or it happens always, when you approach the car it is being friendly and saying hello.
We're sitting in the house. Keys are in the office, 20 metres plus from the car.

Watching it to see if it happens again!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Is it a 1st (with keyless entry)? Sounds like the car "saw" the key somehow. If it happens again, try putting the key in a metal box of some kind. It may be just close enough to trigger the lock.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
Santa’s elves moving your key I expect!

Do you mean the ID light at the base of the windscreen, or the headlights?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen mine do it unless I’m moving the keys etc.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
It's watching you twitch the curtains, just so you know .... ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Santa’s elves moving your key I expect!

Do you mean the ID light at the base of the windscreen, or the headlights?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen mine do it unless I’m moving the keys etc.
Headlights. Hasn't done it since. I'm getting bored now!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
Headlights. Hasn't done it since. I'm getting bored now!
Ok, sounds like the car and the key are having a bit of a chat then. My car is 15m+ from the key, so out of range I think.

·
Graphite Grey would be my pick
57 Posts
My one has a real unique German character. Every time I engage the left indicator the main beam headlights flash erratically until I cancel the signal. Beat that fellow ID owners

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Was yours supplied with the optional "Fluttering Eyelashes" feechur? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Got our new ID.3 today. Loving it.

I've just noticed the lights have come on. Anyone know why they would do this?

And now they are off.
We've found it happens if the keys are moved despite them being inside the house.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Is this an anti-man-in-the-middle Key-fob-theft method? Your car can be nicked if you're asleep with key fob 500 yards away from car, by 2-men-in-the-middle with radio amplifier boosting the short-range signal from car to key-fob, which then picks that up, and thinking the car's close by, the feeble response it sends back is similarly picked up by super-sensitive receiver & boosted by the villain standing by front door, amplified hugely & sent back to your car 500 yards away which then unlocks & is stolen

One way to defeat this, at least when you're at home & asleep, is for the fob to deactivate itself when stationary. So maybe a sudden movement of fob wakes it up, and it's signalling something to the car to say "Wake up. Boss is on the move, may want preheat/App interaction/whatever so get the internet going"?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts