Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Been doing the rounds with shopping for an EV to replace our second ICE. Our criteria are 250+ miles range, fast charge speed, remote app with scheduled charging. The ID3 seems to fit the bill except for the last point. My local dealer is not too responsive with info. Could someone advise if the app is available and working as designed, e.g. pre-conditioning, scheduled charging and SoC etc.
Also understand that there is a large software update coming in Q1 '21, so is now a good time to buy or wait?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,875 Posts
Hi,
Been doing the rounds with shopping for an EV to replace our second ICE. Our criteria are 250+ miles range, fast charge speed, remote app with scheduled charging. The ID3 seems to fit the bill except for the last point. My local dealer is not too responsive with info. Could someone advise if the app is available and working as designed, e.g. pre-conditioning, scheduled charging and SoC etc.
Also understand that there is a large software update coming in Q1 '21, so is now a good time to buy or wait?
Thanks.
The App currently only supports remote start of charging and air conditioning, but works well. It also shows state of charge percentage.

Scheduled charging etc is coming on the car itself in the ME2 software update which will be standard in cars built from next week, and current ID.3s will be updated early next year via a visit to the dealer. I assume the App will then be updated to change those remotely as well.

I understand that the software update will also introduce Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, squish some bugs, and bring in over the air updates for future software tweaks.

If you’re willing to take an early build car, and have the full functionality early next year, then as said you can get some good discounts in December.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
To add to the above two posts. I've just got £9000 off a stock 1st edition, some GREAT deals right now. I should be doing the paperwork on the 2nd and pick it up a day or two later. The garage has said it will have the update Tooks mentioned. Will confirm once I have it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
To add to the above two posts. I've just got £9000 off a stock 1st edition, some GREAT deals right now. I should be doing the paperwork on the 2nd and pick it up a day or two later. The garage has said it will have the update Tooks mentioned. Will confirm once I have it.
Will be great to know if you get the ME2 update. My dealer has firmly set expectations that it won't be happening until Jan.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Agreed with @Tooks. I have the 1st Edition, and it should have but does not yet have, the scheduled charging even in the infotainment system, never mind in the We Connect ID app. I had had this in my e-Golf so it was a big gap for me. The manual includes all the details, which seems very similar to the approach and controls I had with the e-Golf. As stated the major software update (ME2) will shut the gap by bringing that functionality. I expect the We Connect ID to reflect the change too.

Just to note that the the functionality to define locations and set charging times, eg for Eco7 at Home nevermind the more agile tariffs as I see in the manual, quoted below:

Settings

• Departure time (maximum of three) Operation, Timer-controlled charging.
  • Reduce charging current: this can reduce the load on the mains connection and power grid.

• Lower battery charge limit (minimum desired charge level of the high-voltage battery of 0-50%) Setting, Battery charge limits.
  • Upper battery charge limit (maximum desired charge level of the high-voltage battery of 50-100%) Setting, Battery charge limits.
  • Control by an external energy management system (depending on vehicle equipment). The vehicle communicates with the charging station and takes into account external domestic settings, e.g. if a photovoltaic system is available.
  • Off-peak tariff online (depending on vehicle equipment). It is checked whether off-peak tariffs are available from the energy provider. The high-voltage battery is preferably charged at certain times of day.
  • Preferred charging times. Individually set charging times may be helpful if there are other domestic consumers or when using off-peak electricity.
  • Release charging connector: the charging connector is unlocked after the end of charging.
  • Display address or geographical coordinates.

This seems to be more flexible than the e-Golf, when this update arrives.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,733 Posts
Agreed with @Tooks. I have the 1st Edition, and it should have but does not yet have, the scheduled charging even in the infotainment system, never mind in the We Connect ID app. I had had this in my e-Golf so it was a big gap for me. The manual includes all the details, which seems very similar to the approach and controls I had with the e-Golf. As stated the major software update (ME2) will shut the gap by bringing that functionality. I expect the We Connect ID to reflect the change too.

Just to note that the the functionality to define locations and set charging times, eg for Eco7 at Home nevermind the more agile tariffs as I see in the manual, quoted below:

Settings

• Departure time (maximum of three) Operation, Timer-controlled charging.
  • Reduce charging current: this can reduce the load on the mains connection and power grid.

• Lower battery charge limit (minimum desired charge level of the high-voltage battery of 0-50%) Setting, Battery charge limits.
  • Upper battery charge limit (maximum desired charge level of the high-voltage battery of 50-100%) Setting, Battery charge limits.
  • Control by an external energy management system (depending on vehicle equipment). The vehicle communicates with the charging station and takes into account external domestic settings, e.g. if a photovoltaic system is available.
  • Off-peak tariff online (depending on vehicle equipment). It is checked whether off-peak tariffs are available from the energy provider. The high-voltage battery is preferably charged at certain times of day.
  • Preferred charging times. Individually set charging times may be helpful if there are other domestic consumers or when using off-peak electricity.
  • Release charging connector: the charging connector is unlocked after the end of charging.
  • Display address or geographical coordinates.

This seems to be more flexible than the e-Golf, when this update arrives.
I can see me starting a charge manually when I get up for a pee in the middle of the night. :LOL:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts