Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Booked my car in for the 2.1 update yesterday and had a good general chat with the Service Manager about his experience to date with ID3. Basically:
1. It had been rushed out from their perspective with poor comms and virtually no training.
2. There was and is an unusually strong link to Germany for technical support. Which, reading between the lines, leaves them in a difficult position re owning problems and liaising with customers.
It was made more difficult for them by lots of non repeatable errors.
3. They had only done a few 2.1 updates he said it was long and quite complicated. Didn’t fill me with confidence but hey I’m not booked in for 2 weeks hopefully they’ll be fully up to speed.

All in all I have quite a lot of sympathy with the dealer service teams on this one. Basically fronting a bit of a mess in terms of product and back end tech support.

·
Registered
502 Posts
This mirrors conversations I've had with the technicians at my dealer too. They have been very careful not to specifically say #1, but certainly hinted at it & didn't disagree when I brought it up myself. Even though my car was in the garage for almost 75% of the first two months of ownership, I don't blame the dealership at all. It really isn't their fault that VW are sending out cars with so many issues, both software and hardware (my car had at least 2 modules replaced, I think one of those twice).

It must be very frustrating for the dealers from a customer service point of view.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
840 Posts
Are ID3's coming out the factory NOW still riddled with software problems?

Reactions: booms

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,685 Posts
Are ID3's coming out the factory NOW still riddled with software problems?
No, I believe they’re coming out with 2.1 now.

I think ‘riddled’ is an emotive term, a few cars seem to have had serious problems, most will have experienced some minor software niggles, and very few will have had zero.

I’ve done a couple of hundred miles in mine since it was updated to 2.1 (0792), from 0564 and the previous niggles in mine are all fixed, and hopefully that’s the end of it and iterative updates going forwards will make it even better.

I expect though that somebody will report having issues on 0792, and then we’ll be back to ‘the ID.3 is rubbish’ shouts! 😂

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,536 Posts
I'm sorry but that aligns very well with this translation: it is not our fault, it is VW Germany, or anyone else we can blame.

From my POV, it is more about the OTA system. In the future, updates (not critical ones at least), there doesn't need to be any work for dealers. Therefore they don't need training for it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of updates will be delivered OTA. My understanding is that it won't be much and most major ones will still need to be carried out by dealers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ive yet to take delivery of mine, bought pre reg, insisted the 2.1 update is done before I collect so I dont have to go back and a module has become bricked during the update so waiting for that to be replaced. Im slowly wondering if I am nuts for continuing to go ahead

·
Registered
502 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of updates will be delivered OTA. My understanding is that it won't be much and most major ones will still need to be carried out by dealers.
They haven't shared any of that detail yet and to be honest I wouldn't be too surprised if there's very little info even when they do start pushing OTA updates. I'm fully expecting a message something along the lines of "An update was installed. It fixed some stuff".

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,986 Posts
So it’s a NOTA then?

Why do VW lie?

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
So it’s a NOTA then?

Why do VW lie?
We don’t know what will be delivered OTA or otherwise do we?

I think what people have read is the guy from Norway on here saying only minor stuff will be OTA, and the next big software update will be at dealers again.

He also mentioned that the reason for that was EU legislation, but how true that is I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
Ive yet to take delivery of mine, bought pre reg, insisted the 2.1 update is done before I collect so I dont have to go back and a module has become bricked during the update so waiting for that to be replaced. Im slowly wondering if I am nuts for continuing to go ahead

The chances are that your car will be fine once the new module is in.

The stressing you read on here, whilst genuine, isn’t everybody or every car, and when you pour on top the comments from people desperate to have a pop at VW it’s not surprising that the shine is being taken off your new car.

I can’t think of one brand where there are zero problems reported on here. These days when a new Tesla goes in for a couple of weeks because it had an issue with a module, and came back with a seat belt not attached to the chassis doesn’t bat an eyelid.

All cars have issues, particularly new models, but I suppose if it does concern you unduly your can get out now without too much difficulty?

·
Registered
56 Posts
So a forum user 'understands' that OTAs will be limited, and from that VW are lying. Ok.....
And my understanding is very limited. Just based on the various comments on here, the ID.3 facebook group and ID.3 software update | Important Information | Volkswagen UK - "The ID.Software2.1 also enables the ID.3 to receive over-the-air updates. This means that the car will not need to go to a retailer for minor software updates in the future."

they appear to make a point out of 'minor'

1 - 15 of 15 Posts