Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have had my Id3 for a few days now. Has anyone experienced this or similar when charging?

The car charges perfectly. I did enable "the release cable at end of charge" . It seems that it can be removed from the charging port on the car but the Podpoint keeps the cable locked to the unit. Only way to release it is to power the unit down.

Got me thinking if I was further afield and was charging on public charger it could do the same - leaving me locked to the charger.

Anyone aware of this - is it a software issue - or is it to do with the Podpoint home charger??

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,178 Posts
Any charging post should release a cable either after authentication from a RFID Card/App, or when you unplug the cable from the car side first, this should then release on the charging post side too, in the case of public Pod Points for example.

Does this definitely not happen? What about if you disable the option to auto-release the cable from the car?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Is this your first EV or was the Pod Point working ok with your previous EV?

What does the status light on the charge point show? Does it change correctly from solid green to flashing green when charge is complete?

I assume you unplugged the cable from your car before trying to disconnect from the charge point? Did the charge point status light change to blue when the cable was disconnected from your car?

My Zappi needs a few seconds 'thinking time' before it changes state or allows you to do anything.

I would take 80698's advice and try with auto release disabled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is 7kw podpoint wall charger not a public charger. I never had any issues with it with my Golf GTE, would charge, pre heat and at end of charge after unlocking the car disengage the charging cable at both ends.

Initially when I took ownership of the ID3 - I charged it overnight. By default the cars "cable release" was disabled. When I unlocked the car after first charge the cable appeared to be locked. I got in the car and looked in the charging menu where I discovered the cable release option. I enabled this.

The cable came out of the car's charge port but remained locked to the Podpoint. I thought after I had enabled this in the menu, next time it would disengage when I unlock the car after charging. It didn't!! Similar scenario the cable disengages at the car but not on the Podpoint unit. Only method to remove from the wall charger is to power it off inside the house.

A bit baffled.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Has the charger got a status light on it? Have you got the Pod Point app? Or is this an older version of the Pod Point home charger that does not have a status light / app?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this your first EV or was the Pod Point working ok with your previous EV?

What does the status light on the charge point show? Does it change correctly from solid green to flashing green when charge is complete?

I assume you unplugged the cable from your car before trying to disconnect from the charge point? Did the charge point status light change to blue when the cable was disconnected from your car?

My Zappi needs a few seconds 'thinking time' before it changes state or allows you to do anything.

I would take 80698's advice and try with auto release disabled.
Flashing green light at end of charge. Solid green when charging. Yes removed cable from car but locked at wall box.

·
Registered
566 Posts
So the Pod Point knows that the charge has completed, but thinks the car is still connected?

Do you have the Pod Point app? Does that give you any more information on the charger's status?

I don't think Pod Point have a user forum, would be worth contacting them as well as VW.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the Pod Point knows that the charge has completed, but thinks the car is still connected?

Do you have the Pod Point app? Does that give you any more information on the charger's status?

I don't think Pod Point have a user forum, would be worth contacting them as well as VW.
Podpoint support isn't that great. I waited over 5 months for them to come to sort out my podpoint. The WiFi antenna inside the unit had gone and they couldn't connect remotely to it to find out the issue. They said I had turned it off!!! They eventually came around three months ago - replacing the unit. So it now has a new PSL number. Unfortunately the APP doesn't allow me to change my PSL number - that has to be done by them it seems to be fixed - I guess in their database. Calls to support get a generic reply and nobody seems to do anything. That means the APP is still displaying the old GTE charging information. I can uninstall the APP download again but the PSL number remains the same. So no joy there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I either read on this forum or elsewhere some info from another domestic wall charging company, my recollection was that some of the features didn't work as the ID3 doesn't accord with the standard protocol. Sorry for the incomplete info but does anyone else recall ?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I either read on this forum or elsewhere some info from another domestic wall charging company, my recollection was that some of the features didn't work as the ID3 doesn't accord with the standard protocol. Sorry for the incomplete info but does anyone else recall ?
There is an issue with the ECO+ mode on the Zappi charger, but this looks like it is something different.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Podpoint support isn't that great. I waited over 5 months for them to come to sort out my podpoint. The WiFi antenna inside the unit had gone and they couldn't connect remotely to it to find out the issue. They said I had turned it off!!! They eventually came around three months ago - replacing the unit. So it now has a new PSL number. Unfortunately the APP doesn't allow me to change my PSL number - that has to be done by them it seems to be fixed - I guess in their database. Calls to support get a generic reply and nobody seems to do anything. That means the APP is still displaying the old GTE charging information. I can uninstall the APP download again but the PSL number remains the same. So no joy there.
I am not familiar with the Pod Point app so I am not familiar with what the PSL number is / what it does.

The MyEnergi app for the Zappi EVSE gives charger status info - I would have thought this could be available even if the PSL number is wrong.

For example the MyEnergi app gave me an error message 'charge delayed' which meant the EVSE had failed to wake the car for a scheduled charge.

Hopefully someone with an ID3 and either a Pod Point or other EVSE with non tethered cable can chip in.

What is puzzling me is that the error seems to be because the EVSE does not realise the car is unplugged, which sounds like a problem with the EVSE, but then it worked when you had a GTE.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Interesting. I can no longer see my podpoint wifi SSID. Will need to chase podpoint but wonder if this is a common issue.

·
Premium Member
11,462 Posts
Hi - I have had my Id3 for a few days now. Has anyone experienced this or similar when charging?

The car charges perfectly. I did enable "the release cable at end of charge" . It seems that it can be removed from the charging port on the car but the Podpoint keeps the cable locked to the unit. Only way to release it is to power the unit down.

Got me thinking if I was further afield and was charging on public charger it could do the same - leaving me locked to the charger.

Anyone aware of this - is it a software issue - or is it to do with the Podpoint home charger??
I suspect it is by design and the car does not send an "end charge" signal to the post on purpose. If you were on a public post and both ends become unlocked someone could nick your expensive cable. As others have said, on a public post you can use the app or swipe the RFID card to end charge and unlock, but that isn't usually possible on a home point.

I suspect VW only tested the car on (the more common) tethered home charging point, where obviously it would be fine. If you disable that feature then I guess it works OK when you unlock it? Also, not all socket home points actually lock the cable, the Chargemaster at the mother-in-law house doesn't.

Your VW dealer will probably tell you to get one of these ;-)

·
Registered
566 Posts
I suspect it is by design and the car does not send an "end charge" signal to the post on purpose. If you were on a public post and both ends become unlocked someone could nick your expensive cable. As others have said, on a public post you can use the app or swipe the RFID card to end charge and unlock, but that isn't usually possible on a home point.

I suspect VW only tested the car on (the more common) tethered home charging point, where obviously it would be fine. If you disable that feature then I guess it works OK when you unlock it? Also, not all socket home points actually lock the cable, the Chargemaster at the mother-in-law house doesn't.

Your VW dealer will probably tell you to get one of these ;-)

From the OP's description it is sending the end charge signal (as indicated by the EVSE's status led), which is the odd thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting. I can no longer see my podpoint wifi SSID. Will need to chase podpoint but wonder if this is a common issue.
My podpoint worked a dream for over two years. Then it started losing its WiFi ssid. I was asked to power the unit off then on and try to connect via my mobile to use the APP. I would get no signal from it. The unit then started to display a white light not the usual flash of magenta and blue. It would charge, but the APP did not give me any details on my charging. They eventually came and replaced the unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not familiar with the Pod Point app so I am not familiar with what the PSL number is / what it does.

The MyEnergi app for the Zappi EVSE gives charger status info - I would have thought this could be available even if the PSL number is wrong.

For example the MyEnergi app gave me an error message 'charge delayed' which meant the EVSE had failed to wake the car for a scheduled charge.

Hopefully someone with an ID3 and either a Pod Point or other EVSE with non tethered cable can chip in.

What is puzzling me is that the error seems to be because the EVSE does not realise the car is unplugged, which sounds like a problem with the EVSE, but then it worked when you had a GTE.
The PSL number is merely the unit's identification number linked to my account. The APP allows you to update your car but the PSL number is a fixed field that you cannot update yourself.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The only other thing I can think to narrow it down is if you know someone else with an EV who can try your EVSE, or somewhere else with an untethered EVSE you can try.

A lot of Tesco stores have free Pod Point EVSEs now. You could try plugging into one of those, with the risk your cable may get stuck until Pod Point can reset it remotely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only other thing I can think to narrow it down is if you know someone else with an EV who can try your EVSE, or somewhere else with an untethered EVSE you can try.

A lot of Tesco stores have free Pod Point EVSEs now. You could try plugging into one of those, with the risk your cable may get stuck until Pod Point can reset it remotely.
Mmmmmm a worrying scenario!!!

·
Premium Member
11,462 Posts

I doubt there is anything wrong with the OPs home point. I think it is just a side effect of the convenience feature VW had added to the ID3. The feature is probably intended for tethered home charging - ideally it should be set based on location.

I am not aware of any other EV that has the option to unlock when charging has completed - Anyone? Also, I can't spot that the OP has confirmed that it works OK with that feature turned off?

The home Podpoint units are very different to the public ones installed at Tesco and I am 99% sure the convenience feature would be OK (*) on a public point, as you can end session in the app. They will have tested the car on a range of public 7kW posts.

* Personally I would never use that feature on a public post as a nefarious person could unplug cable from car with risk of damage. They may even be able to plug in their car and lock it in place!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I doubt there is anything wrong with the OPs home point. I think it is just a side effect of the convenience feature VW had added to the ID3. The feature is probably intended for tethered home charging - ideally it should be set based on location.

I am not aware of any other EV that has the option to unlock when charging has completed - Anyone? Also, I can't spot that the OP has confirmed that it works OK with that feature turned off?

The home Podpoint units are very different to the public ones installed at Tesco and I am 99% sure the convenience feature would be OK (*) on a public point, as you can end session in the app. They will have tested the car on a range of public 7kW posts.

* Personally I would never use that feature on a public post as a nefarious person could unplug cable from car with risk of damage. They may even be able to plug in their car and lock it in place!
I have discovered that this option can only be enabled or disabled when the evse is connected to the car. Enabling the release at end of charge, the cable doesn't unlock from the car until you actually unlock the car.

However, at end of charge it remains locked at the wall box!! I have an untethered podpoint. It could be a bit worrying using an untethered public podpoint at a shopping centre in that it doesn't disengage from the unit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts