Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently saw a video by TeslaBjorn of an Xpeng with she capability of finding a free parking space and then auto parking you in it, including automatically engaging forward and reverse as necessary.
Any views on whether the ID3 could at some point do something similar?
Clearly it doesn’t have a 360 degree camera not sure how limiting that is...
Thanks

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,685 Posts
Isn't there a great big P button on the dash for that?

I have a Life model, so mine doesn't do anything! :LOL:

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
310 Posts
Recently saw a video by TeslaBjorn of an Xpeng with she capability of finding a free parking space and then auto parking you in it, including automatically engaging forward and reverse as necessary.
Any views on whether the ID3 could at some point do something similar?
Clearly it doesn’t have a 360 degree camera not sure how limiting that is...
Thanks
There is no Park Assist on any ID3 model. Whether it's something they could enable with the current hardware, who knows...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Park Assist isn't even an option for the ID.3 at the moment & is not mentioned on any documentation. I presume it would need additional sensors above the standard front & rear parking sensors.

Although when you press the P button under the infotainment screen it does seem to have something of a placeholder for that type of feature. Perhaps we'll be really lucky in the future & it's possible via a software update...

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,685 Posts
Park Assist isn't even an option for the ID.3 at the moment & is not mentioned on any documentation. I presume it would need additional sensors above the standard front & rear parking sensors.

Although when you press the P button under the infotainment screen it does seem to have something of a placeholder for that type of feature. Perhaps we'll be really lucky in the future & it's possible via a software update...
It is in the owners manual. Obviously not implemented yet. Check yours here: Volkswagen Owners Manuals | Volkswagen UK

Park Assist is an extension of Park Distance Control Park Distance Control.
While the driver starts the parking manoeuvre in the Infotainment system and monitors the area around the vehicle, Park Assist automatically performs steering and gear changes and also accelerates and brakes the vehicle
The following functions are supported:
  • Displaying suitable parking spaces.
  • Selecting a parking mode
  • Driving into suitable parallel and bay parking spaces,
  • Driving out of a parallel parking space.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts
It is in the owners manual. Obviously not implemented yet. Check yours here: Volkswagen Owners Manuals | Volkswagen UK

Park Assist is an extension of Park Distance Control Park Distance Control.
While the driver starts the parking manoeuvre in the Infotainment system and monitors the area around the vehicle, Park Assist automatically performs steering and gear changes and also accelerates and brakes the vehicle
The following functions are supported:
  • Displaying suitable parking spaces.
  • Selecting a parking mode
  • Driving into suitable parallel and bay parking spaces,
  • Driving out of a parallel parking space.
Thank God my Life will never want to do all that!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,652 Posts
My old GTE had park assist, I see no reason why it couldn’t be implemented on the ID.3 easily enough.

First time I used it though, it parked like a [email protected], really fast and nearly hit the car behind.

After I read the manual, I found out that crucially I was responsible for moderating the speed of the parking manoeuvre via the foot brake... 🤭🤣

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The “you must use the brake” is just a disclaimer. In reality once you take your foot off the brake, it’ll creep until a certain sensor distance then auto stop like every other system.

In fact, manual braking probably makes it harder for the system to park, as the required steering angle will change with every speed adjustment. At a constant auto creep speed, the angle will be more consistent.

Assuming the ID3 has the same Bosch sensors as the old Golf, Autopark is possible.

They probably just didn’t get it certified in time.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Xpeng scanned for free places as you drove into the car park, offered spaces, you select, drive towards it then select park and it does the rest to park you.
To me this is useful technology, rather than the ‘solution looking for a problem’ type.

·
Premium Member
6,652 Posts
The “you must use the brake” is just a disclaimer. In reality once you take your foot off the brake, it’ll creep until a certain sensor distance then auto stop like every other system.

In fact, manual braking probably makes it harder for the system to park, as the required steering angle will change with every speed adjustment. At a constant auto creep speed, the angle will be more consistent.

Assuming the ID3 has the same Bosch sensors as the old Golf, Autopark is possible.

They probably just didn’t get it certified in time.
You’ve clearly never tried the system on the GTE then!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Just Merc, BMW, Honda, Nissan and Tesla. Is it not the same basic Bosch PDC sensor system as the Merc, Tesla and BMW?

·
Premium Member
6,652 Posts
Just Merc, BMW, Honda, Nissan and Tesla. Is it not the same basic Bosch sensor system as the Merc, Tesla and BMW?
That’s a no then? 😏

I’ve no knowledge of the other systems, so don’t know.

What I do know is that although it stopped without my intervention, it was an emergency stop and the whole thing was less than smooth. Moderating the speed with the footbrake as per the manual made it a very smooth and polished experience.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Oh yeah, all the others are a last minute panic stop too. Guess it's more efficient or something :D

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
That’s a no then? 😏

I’ve no knowledge of the other systems, so don’t know.

What I do know is that although it stopped without my intervention, it was an emergency stop and the whole thing was less than smooth. Moderating the speed with the footbrake as per the manual made it a very smooth and polished experience.
It was a GTE. Of course it did it with attitude :ROFLMAO:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts