Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ID3 comes in 18,19 and 20 inch wheels.
Conventional wisdom would suggest the 18 inch would be the quietest but clearly the ID3 is a heavy and high standing car because of the battery.
What tyre size would you go for?
Has anyone seen any reviews discussing tyre choices?
Thanks!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Why would the weight and height of the car change the affect of the noise in conjunction with the wheel size?

If you want more efficiency and ride comfort smaller is better I suppose. The only thing you are trading off is the looks - if you think big looks better.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Generally the outer diameter of the tyre stays about the same size, with the larger wheels the profile is reduced. Living in London, my preference is for smaller diameter wheels as I'm less likely to catch them on a kerb and the bigger profile tyres can give a softer ride over bumps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another tradeoff is performance, less sidewall (lower profile) means better handling around corners.
Dont take my word for it, this guy can prove it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.
I think I'll go for the 18inch. Hopefully a bit quieter and may be better in the wet in a rear wheel drive. I don't particularly like the look of very large wheels either!

Now it's either alloys or basic steel wheels! Anyone know what the basic steel wheels look like? Not sure how configurable they are....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Interesting video, guess it might depend on which sized wheel the ID.3 was optimised around? (middle one perhaps - 19”?)

Are the tyres are the same width and type across all size wheels?

Could you try it on the different sizes at your dealer?

Reducing unsprung weight is very beneficial for efficiency (and should help the ride) so I’d probably have 18” or perhaps 19” at a stretch!

·
Registered
100 Posts
True, but is the ID.3 a track car?
Sorry, I didnt mean to imply that was the best option. Only to give the upside for lower profile tyres for those who may prefer performance over comfort and economy :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks all.
I think I'll go for the 18inch. Hopefully a bit quieter and may be better in the wet in a rear wheel drive. I don't particularly like the look of very large wheels either!

Now it's either alloys or basic steel wheels! Anyone know what the basic steel wheels look like? Not sure how configurable they are....
Good choice, I much prefer a softer quieter ride.
If we get the same choice as the Germans, then this is what is available. Steelies come as standard

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Always amuses me when car journalists complain about a stiff ride as they thrash a massive "Sport level" SUV with 22 inch wheels down a broken B Road.

My view on wheels is that if the standard alloys aren't utterly hideous, why bother paying for bigger ones that stuff the ride and range? You never see them when sat in the car and frankly neither does anyone else once you've gone over 20 mph, it's just a blue gone by in seconds. And you are going to curb them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ironically, steels are usually lighter than the equivalent alloy unless you get into the realms of exotic alloys. Its really down to fashion and perceived wisdom that steels are poverty spec from yesteryear :rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I saw a car for the first time this week, I did notice the profile of the 19" tyres, they have a high aspect number, so look like they will provide a comfortable ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts