Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Being completely new to EVs, and probably lacking some patience and common sense, I had a few problems with charging on driving my new car back yesterday (250 miles).
My main questions would be:
1. What are the best in car configuration settings (eg. Unlock when charging complete)
2. Do you have to plug in the cable before starting charge (or does that depend on company, app)
3. What do the ID3 colours on the charging socket mean (yesterday I had green, white and red!)
4. How do you stop and make the cable release?
5. How do you force the ID3 to release the charging cable?
I think I learned a lot yesterday, the hard way, including a stuck cable on red for 1hr at Leicester Forest!
Would appreciate your practical advice!!
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,665 Posts
White on the charging socket is just a light, green means connected but not charging, a pulsing green light means it’s charging. Red means some kind of error.

To unlock the charging port, you need to unlock the car using the fob or the door switch. It needs to be a double press to unlock all doors including the charging port.

The order in which you plug a charger in depends on the charge unit really, if you were at Leicester Forest East then it was Ecotricity, so not surprised your first experience wasn’t a great one!

Was it the rapid charging unit and the CCS you were trying to use?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some lessons I think I learned...
1. Use Zapmap
2. Remove the rubber DC flap even if only charging AC, else the DC flap can ‘interfere’
3. There is an ID3 yellow cable release hook under a panel in the right hand side of the boot. Sadly it didn’t work for me though (with red light)
4, Ecotricity pack up at 6pm even though they say 7pm and their chargers seem a bit flakey!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
White on the charging socket is just a light, green means connected but not charging, a pulsing green light means it’s charging. Red means some kind of error.

To unlock the charging port, you need to unlock the car using the fob or the door switch. It needs to be a double press to unlock all doors including the charging port.

The order in which you plug a charger in depends on the charge unit really, if you were at Leicester Forest East then it was Ecotricity, so not surprised your first experience wasn’t a great one!

Was it the rapid charging unit and the CCS you were trying to use?
Yes it was CCS!
Ended up home with 10 miles left in the end!
Car drove very nicely but it was squeaky bum.

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
Yes it was CCS!
Ended up home with 10 miles left in the end!
Car drove very nicely but it was squeaky bum.
Yep, they only start via the App, if they start at all.

Instavolts (found via Zap Map) are the best option, turn up, tap contactless card, plug in and start charging.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,036 Posts
Hi All,

Being completely new to EVs, and probably lacking some patience and common sense, I had a few problems with charging on driving my new car back yesterday (250 miles).
My main questions would be:
1. What are the best in car configuration settings (eg. Unlock when charging complete)
2. Do you have to plug in the cable before starting charge (or does that depend on company, app)
3. What do the ID3 colours on the charging socket mean (yesterday I had green, white and red!)
4. How do you stop and make the cable release?
5. How do you force the ID3 to release the charging cable?
I think I learned a lot yesterday, the hard way, including a stuck cable on red for 1hr at Leicester Forest!
Would appreciate your practical advice!!
Thanks.
Instavolt and Osprey seem to be the most reliable for roll up, pay with contactless, just works. All other networks can be considered but you need a backup. Always look for an instavolt/Osprey as my backup.

Stopping the charge on the charger requires some sort of identification, present your payment/rfid card, or stop from the app. That’s to prevent someone else stopping the charge if you’ve left the car. That said rapids have an emergency stop that will stop the charge and should cause the car to release the cable. If you get stuck, e.g. the charger does indicate it has stopped so the car doesn’t release, the emergency release on the car will always work.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Instavolt and Osprey seem to be the most reliable for roll up, pay with contactless, just works. All other networks can be considered but you need a backup. Always look for an instavolt/Osprey as my backup.

Stopping the charge on the charger requires some sort of identification, present your payment/rfid card, or stop from the app. That’s to prevent someone else stopping the charge if you’ve left the car. That said rapids have an emergency stop that will stop the charge and should cause the car to release the cable. If you get stuck, e.g. the charger does indicate it has stopped so the car doesn’t release, the emergency release on the car will always work.
When I had a red light I tried the emergency stop and it didn’t work. I then opened up the flap inside the boot and yanked the yellow hook, that didn’t work either.
The only thing that seemed to work was walking away and leaving it for 30 mins.
Hopefully never see that again!
But yeah I will try and find an instavolt

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone know What’s the point of the vehicle charging setting ‘auto-release the cable’??
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
Anyone know What’s the point of the vehicle charging setting ‘auto-release the cable’??
Thanks.
If you were on a tethered charger it means somebody else could use it if it had finished charging before you were back?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,036 Posts
When I had a red light I tried the emergency stop and it didn’t work. I then opened up the flap inside the boot and yanked the yellow hook, that didn’t work either.
The only thing that seemed to work was walking away and leaving it for 30 mins.
Hopefully never see that again!
But yeah I will try and find an instavolt
I don't have an id3 so can't comment on the precise details, but the emergency release on the car should always work. I would expect this to physically retract the charge plug lock. So you have to pull/push that while removing the plug. The only circumstances this doesn't work everything's borked.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq PHEV
6 Posts
Hoping I'm not going off topic, but can you pay by contactless debit/credit card at chargers, or is it just membership rfid cards?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I believe any new ones installed from now on have to have a contactless payment method, but there are still some legacy ones that need cards I think. I've never personally come across one in the South East that needs an actual card, they have all been contactless or have their own phone app that you pay with.

Reactions: Dave D

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,036 Posts
Hoping I'm not going off topic, but can you pay by contactless debit/credit card at chargers, or is it just membership rfid cards?
Some networks have contactless throughout, Osprey and Instavolt for example, which is one reason they’re favoured.... that, and they usually work. Some networks are adding contactless to existing units but it isn’t always possible.

Osprey charge slightly less (31p vs 36p) if you use their app instead of contactless. Apps and subscriptions are worth it if they may sense to how you use the network.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
312 Posts
After using a GeniePoint charger for the first time yesterday, their system is anything but simple. You need to authenticate yourself to the charger, then pay for the charge itself.

They have 3 different ways you can authenticate - their own RFID card, any other RFID card, or their app or website.

When it comes to paying, you either have to have credit on your GeniePoint account or a payment card associated with your account - you manage all of that within their app or on their website.

Far away from just using a contactless card, I will try and avoid in future!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,036 Posts
Yes I’d agree Geniepoint is a pain. You can register an existing rfid card against your account somehow, and then use that. Last time I was near a Geniepoint in Ambleside it was a short drive to the Instavolt at Booths in Windermere, so I went there instead.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq PHEV
6 Posts
Cheers folks, was just wondering 'cos i'm looking at getting the ID3 when my Ionic(PHEV) PCP comes to an end. I would only be expecting to charge on the odd trip, maybe once or twice a year so getting a 'membership' wouldn't be worth it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sounds like you have a similar situation and questions as I did when I got my eGolf just over a year ago. The vast majority of my driving is shortish trips where I just plug back in at home, with the occasional longer journey where I need to find chargers at my destination or along the way. I found sites like Zap Map and ABRP are generally very good at helping to plan where you may need to charge, along with a couple of backup scenarios (just in case). It sounds like a pain before you get the car, but it's really not as bad as some people seem to think. It just needs a little forward planning.

Reactions: Dave D
1 - 20 of 41 Posts