Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
11,558 Posts
White on the charging socket is just a light, green means connected but not charging, a pulsing green light means it’s charging. Red means some kind of error.

To unlock the charging port, you need to unlock the car using the fob or the door switch. It needs to be a double press to unlock all doors including the charging port.

The order in which you plug a charger in depends on the charge unit really, if you were at Leicester Forest East then it was Ecotricity, so not surprised your first experience wasn’t a great one!

Was it the rapid charging unit and the CCS you were trying to use?

· Premium Member
11,558 Posts
Charging at the nearby Ionity was simpler, once the freebie card was registered. Only charged at 38kW though.
You’ll find that if the Ionity charger you’re on is either free vend or in some kind of limp mode, you’ll only get relatively low speeds.

As already said, you’ll also get a slower speed if your battery is in a high state of charge or cold when you try to charge.

At Skelton Lake last week, the first Ionity charger I tried didn’t ask for the card, but I was only getting 29kW.

Moved to another one, this time the card or payment was asked for and I got 99kW.

· Premium Member
11,558 Posts
I do have the We Charge card and the £500 incentive. The session is listed in the We Charge section of the app as 34 kWh and £0.00.

The spreadsheet sounds like a good idea.

We'll likely target Ionity chargers for our longer trips if we can get away with it.

As for selling the card on... the app knew about the freebie before I gave it the number on the Rfid card number. I suspect it knew from the VIN rather than from my email address.
Yes, it uses the VIN as the identifier. I had an Elli card/account before I owned my ID.3, and I’d entered those card details in the We Connect ID App when I still owned the e-Golf.

When I registered the ID.3, it automatically updated the Elli account to the lower Ionity rate and added the 2000 kW of free charging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.