Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
772 Posts
I believe any new ones installed from now on have to have a contactless payment method, but there are still some legacy ones that need cards I think. I've never personally come across one in the South East that needs an actual card, they have all been contactless or have their own phone app that you pay with.

· Registered
772 Posts
Sounds like you have a similar situation and questions as I did when I got my eGolf just over a year ago. The vast majority of my driving is shortish trips where I just plug back in at home, with the occasional longer journey where I need to find chargers at my destination or along the way. I found sites like Zap Map and ABRP are generally very good at helping to plan where you may need to charge, along with a couple of backup scenarios (just in case). It sounds like a pain before you get the car, but it's really not as bad as some people seem to think. It just needs a little forward planning.

· Registered
772 Posts
So it is much better, and polite etiquette, to move the car if you are staying longer and not charging.
While we're on the subject of etiquette; don't be one of "those people" who park their EV in a charging spot just for the free parking or closer proximity to the entrance to services etc if you are not actually charging... I've come across this a few times when actually needing a charge. Some choice words have been spoken!

· Registered
772 Posts
although I'll be lucky to burn through the full £500 in 12 months.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone thinks they will even come close to using the full £500, especially here in the UK with so few chargers being supported. While £500 "free" charging sounds like a great incentive, in real terms I expect few will even get close to using it all before it expires after the 12 months.

I've checked places I went this year that I charged my eGolf away from home and there are no supported chargers within a reasonable distance of any of the places I visit with any regularity, so I would never use the card at all. Almost all my charging has been at home with the eGolf, and with the extra range on the ID.3 I expect to need to charge away from home even less.

Are there any Ts & Cs with the card that say it can't be sold on (don't have my 1st yet, getting it next week)? I'm considering selling mine at a hefty discount to someone who would actually get use out of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.