Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2020 e-Golf
1,114 Posts
Hoping I'm not going off topic, but can you pay by contactless debit/credit card at chargers, or is it just membership rfid cards?
After using a GeniePoint charger for the first time yesterday, their system is anything but simple. You need to authenticate yourself to the charger, then pay for the charge itself.

They have 3 different ways you can authenticate - their own RFID card, any other RFID card, or their app or website.

When it comes to paying, you either have to have credit on your GeniePoint account or a payment card associated with your account - you manage all of that within their app or on their website.

Far away from just using a contactless card, I will try and avoid in future!

· Registered
2020 e-Golf
1,114 Posts
I haven't used Ionity yet, but an Osprey charger with my We Charge card a couple of times - the We Connect ID app shows those at a cost of £0.00 so I know they've been taken from my £500 credit but the app gives no indication of the actual cost, I've created a spreadsheet to keep tabs on the charge costs and credit although I'll be lucky to burn through the full £500 in 12 months.

· Registered
2020 e-Golf
1,114 Posts
I'd be interested to hear if anyone thinks they will even come close to using the full £500, especially here in the UK with so few chargers being supported. While £500 "free" charging sounds like a great incentive, in real terms I expect few will even get close to using it all before it expires after the 12 months.

I've checked places I went this year that I charged my eGolf away from home and there are no supported chargers within a reasonable distance of any of the places I visit with any regularity, so I would never use the card at all. Almost all my charging has been at home with the eGolf, and with the extra range on the ID.3 I expect to need to charge away from home even less.

Are there any Ts & Cs with the card that say it can't be sold on (don't have my 1st yet, getting it next week)? I'm considering selling mine at a hefty discount to someone who would actually get use out of it.
I have switched to charging at my local Osprey rather than at home as a default to burn as much as I can :LOL:

No idea if you can sell it on, I can't remember from when I received and activated mine if it was already tied to my email address or not...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.