Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Every time I get a new VW, there's one thing I hope for...that it doesn't come with Bridgestone tyres.

What've people's ID3s come with? tyre and wheel choice?

Saw a pic of an ID3 on 19s with Bridgestones.

I've had Bridgestones on 4 previous Golfs and 2 Polo GTIs, and they've spoilt the car to the point that on the last 3 VWs, I've swapped them out on day 1 and ebayed them

Rock hard, noisy, poor wet and dry grip, poor traction (lots of tramping on FWD cars.

Hoping mine with East Derry 18" won't come on Bridgestone Turanza or Potenzas just trying to gauge the likelihood with that wheel choice.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,863 Posts
1st edition so 19" and have Continentals. I'm really happy with the grip. Even in the cold and wet I've been impressed with the grip. It's only on icy or snowy roads that I've missed the Cross Climates I have on the Golf, but handling is entirely different to the Golf
The Golf had a energy efficient Bridgestones and they weren't great.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,906 Posts
Mines a 1st as well, came with Bridgestone’s, and I must admit I was a bit concerned due to previous experiences with them on the e-Golf and GTE before that.

To be fair though, I’ve no complaints, I don’t see how they could be any quieter, I can’t hear them now, and I’ve had no trouble with grip or wheelspin etc.

Perhaps all the tyres were developed for the launch cars, an unusual size I think, 215/50/19s? Anything else use that size?

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
367 Posts
You’ll get either Bridgestone, Continental, or Goodyear - they’re the 3 approved and fitted by VW.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You’ll get either Bridgestone, Continental, or Goodyear - they’re the 3 approved and fitted by VW.
I'd hope for Goodyear out of those 3. Contis are fine, but wear pretty quickly. Bridgestones have always been really poor for me, on any car I've had.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour - Stonewashed Blue Metallic
45 Posts
Why do VW fit different tyres on the same car? FYI my ID3 Tour has goodyears

·
Registered
181 Posts
My first has Continentals. Seem ok so far, but limited mileage.

I've had a VW come with them before. But at refit, I tend to end up with Goodyear. My perception is that Contis wear quicker, but I haven't measured it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Contis definitely wear quicker. My 10 month old (when I bought it).came on Conti 6 from new but the fronts were replaced by the dealership and the rears were a smidge over wanting a replacement. Bear in mind that the A4 is 4WD and my Golf R (also 4WD) front tyres were only down to 4mm at 32k miles - those Conti 6 are soft as butter. I usually replace with Michelin (Goodyear a close 2nd choice).

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
367 Posts
Why do VW fit different tyres on the same car? FYI my ID3 Tour has goodyears
Makes sense for them to have multiple partners, so there’s stock in the wild when replacements are neeeded

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Max
5 Posts
I've got a series Max with 19" alloys, which came shod with Bridgestone tyres. So far, so good. The car is pleasantly surefooted even in rather wet conditions. I've had pretty good experience with Continental, Goodyear and Bridgestone in the past, although this is the first EV and low-rolling resistance set I've experienced.

I was having a bit of a poke around to see the price when it comes to replacements; Blackcircles currently only shows Goodyears in 215/50R19 which are a bit pricer than I was expecting, but such is life. Trying to get prices online does seem to be a bit of a struggle generally.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a series Max with 19" alloys, which came shod with Bridgestone tyres. So far, so good. The car is pleasantly surefooted even in rather wet conditions. I've had pretty good experience with Continental, Goodyear and Bridgestone in the past, although this is the first EV and low-rolling resistance set I've experienced.

I was having a bit of a poke around to see the price when it comes to replacements; Blackcircles currently only shows Goodyears in 215/50R19 which are a bit pricer than I was expecting, but such is life. Trying to get prices online does seem to be a bit of a struggle generally.
I suppose they're a but of a niche size right now, and you always pay more for that.

I immediately replaced the tyres on my Polo GTI+ as the Bridgestone Turanzas it came on were truly awful. The tyres were 215/40 R18, and £160 a pop at Costco for Michelin PS4. The widely used 225/40 R18 PS4s were £87 each - so those went on instead!

Hate it when VAG fit niche tyre sizes that cost you so much more vs something very similar in size.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’ve got a life on 18” bridgestones. Find them a little slippery I’m im honest, though not bad enough to do anything about.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve got a life on 18” bridgestones. Find them a little slippery I’m im honest, though not bad enough to do anything about.
Suspected as much (hence starting this thread). On the Polo GTI, people get Michelin Primacy on 17s and Bridgestone Turanza on 18s. On the bridgestones the GTI will tramp at 40% throttle in warm/dry conditions from a standstill and 25% in the wet. With the Michelin PS4s I swapped for, it's 80% dry, 70% wet. Bridgestone compounds are very hard. Driving them in the warm is like riding decent summer tyres at -5C. I suspect they're great for a track day as they'll get warm enough, but on British roads they're just all round crap - hard, noisy, slippery...but they'll last ages.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Max
5 Posts
I suppose they're a but of a niche size right now, and you always pay more for that.

Hate it when VAG fit niche tyre sizes that cost you so much more vs something very similar in size.
EVs generally seem to be on enormous wheels to give the clearance necessary for the underfloor batteries, so I just accept the size as a side effect of that. At least there's some width to the tire, unlike the skinny things that are on BMW i3s, for example.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
276 Posts
..and they're "custom" (so far) to ID.3 "Enliten" Turanzas - try finding those online.
At least the 18" is a very common size tyre - Blackcircles have a choice of 1 tyre - 2 variations of GY EfficientGrip - in the standard size.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Suspected as much (hence starting this thread). On the Polo GTI, people get Michelin Primacy on 17s and Bridgestone Turanza on 18s. On the bridgestones the GTI will tramp at 40% throttle in warm/dry conditions from a standstill and 25% in the wet. With the Michelin PS4s I swapped for, it's 80% dry, 70% wet. Bridgestone compounds are very hard. Driving them in the warm is like riding decent summer tyres at -5C. I suspect they're great for a track day as they'll get warm enough, but on British roads they're just all round crap - hard, noisy, slippery...but they'll last ages.
Crikey, what are people doing on the roads?!

I’ve found the 19” Bridgestones fine for road driving (terrible in the snow mind!).

As for wear, I’m 8k miles into mine, half worn on the rears and not far off that on the fronts, so I wouldn’t say they’re particularly hard wearing either.

A bit like EVs, tyres even from within the same brand vary enormously. Good Year Efficient Grip are very different to Good Year Eagles for example.

My Polo GTI had Bridgestone Potenza’s on it, it was remapped as well, never found the tyres couldn’t cope.

Besides, the ID.3 isn’t really a performance car, just a warmed up hatch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah I've got Bridgestone 18" on mine (on steels)

Not noticed any slipping, but possibly a bit more noise than on my old i3. That could just be because I was used to that though, and still new to the id3

·
Registered
332 Posts
My Family came with Bridgestones fitted to the 18” steel wheels. They seem ok. Certainly ok enough that I’m not considering swapping them out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 1st edition was in the dealer's for the 2.1 software update last week. They did a general check-over as well and advised that my rear tyres (19" Bridgestones) are down to 3 or 4 mm tread depth, after 7000 miles......
And no, I don't do donuts around the car park in my spare time......
Interestingly, the loan ID3 they gave me while mine was in the workshop was on Goodyears.... and felt much nicer to be honest (although to be fair, I always gravitate towards the feel of Goodyears - they always feel more 'rubbery' and sticky, yet also nice and compliant).

Anyone else suffering disappointing tyre wear ?

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
My 1st edition was in the dealer's for the 2.1 software update last week. They did a general check-over as well and advised that my rear tyres (19" Bridgestones) are down to 3 or 4 mm tread depth, after 7000 miles......
And no, I don't do donuts around the car park in my spare time......
Interestingly, the loan ID3 they gave me while mine was in the workshop was on Goodyears.... and felt much nicer to be honest (although to be fair, I always gravitate towards the feel of Goodyears - they always feel more 'rubbery' and sticky, yet also nice and compliant).

Anyone else suffering disappointing tyre wear ?
That’s pretty similar to mine after 8000 miles. Thy even handily left me a quite for 4 new Goodyear’s with the service/update paperwork! 😂 £760 for 4 I think it was...

It’s a heavy car, and there’s a lot of torque through the rears, although other EVs are heavy and torquey, so not sure.

Maybe it’s like the free ink cartridges you get with a new printer, don’t last long so you’ll be buying new ones sooner than you thought? 😂

1 - 20 of 32 Posts