Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone managed to get an insurance quote for their ID3 yet? I've tried a couple of companies but neither of them list the ID3. Getting through to customer support at the moment is challenging to say the least.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll give them a go. I managed to get a quote of sorts out of LV last night for £626 including no claims bonus protection and legal cover. They priced it up as an e-Golf as their software didn't cover an ID3 yet. I have the maximum no claims bonus bonus but live in West London which always pushes the cost of insurance up. They said that when they sort out the listing for the ID3 they would adjust the premium. So it seems like a bit of a gamble to go with them.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,442 Posts
Thanks, I'll give them a go. I managed to get a quote of sorts out of LV last night for £626 including no claims bonus protection and legal cover. They priced it up as an e-Golf as their software didn't cover an ID3 yet. I have the maximum no claims bonus bonus but live in West London which always pushes the cost of insurance up. They said that when they sort out the listing for the ID3 they would adjust the premium. So it seems like a bit of a gamble to go with them.
Sounds like a way of pushing the price up.... :sick:

Have you tried pluginsure.co.uk | Electric Car and Electric Van Insurance

I haven't, so let us know how you get along...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had house insurance with LV. Got burgled 3 years ago. They took £10k worth of stuff, mostly my wife's jewelry. LV refused to pay out. Check the small print. Then get a relative to check the small print. Then get a good friend to check the small print. Once you've checked the small print, get a UV light and check for any hidden text.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I had house insurance with LV. Got burgled 3 years ago. They took £10k worth of stuff, mostly my wife's jewelry. LV refused to pay out. Check the small print. Then get a relative to check the small print. Then get a good friend to check the small print. Once you've checked the small print, get a UV light and check for any hidden text.
Conversely when I made a claim from LV after my i3 collided with a deer they were very helpful and paid out without quibbling. I'm not sure what your point is exactly, any insurer will accept some claims and reject others, LV are supposedly one of the better insurers who are less likely to quibble over small print but that doesn't mean they'll pay out in every circumstance.
They said that when they sort out the listing for the ID3 they would adjust the premium. So it seems like a bit of a gamble to go with them.
You should ask them what happens when they adjust the premium. If they put it up I expect you would have the right to reject their new figure and go elsewhere.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Conversely when I made a claim from LV after my i3 collided with a deer they were very helpful and paid out without quibbling. I'm not sure what your point is exactly, any insurer will accept some claims and reject others, LV are supposedly one of the better insurers who are less likely to quibble over small print but that doesn't mean they'll pay out in every circumstance.
Point is, as in comment, to inform people based on your own experience.
When I took out my house insurance they asked the standard questions. Do you have a smoke alarm. I answered no. Do you have a burglar alarm? I answered no. They then proceeded to offer me a quote which I accepted. The small print said that the insurance was on condition I have a burglar alarm installed and I didn't spot that. Hence my advice to read and double read and triple read the small print. I would rather have insurance decline than have one offered with conditions to questions that I've already answered 'No' to. I'm currently with Direct Line. They asked the same questions. I gave the same answers and I have insurance with no qualifying conditions attached. That's how it should work. LV were investigated for exactly this and found to be wanting in how their website was designed. They redesigned it but I still fell for their trap.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Do you have a burglar alarm? I answered no. They then proceeded to offer me a quote which I accepted. The small print said that the insurance was on condition I have a burglar alarm installed and I didn't spot that
If that is true you have a claim against them for mis-selling. They will have records showing you said you had no burglar alarm, you should make a data subject request for all the information they have about you and they should send it to you. The quote system is automated so it seems unlikely they would have given you the premium for having had an alarm if you did answer 'no' but bugs happen.

Reactions: ringi

·
Registered
234 Posts
If that is true you have a claim against them for mis-selling. They will have records showing you said you had no burglar alarm, you should make a data subject request for all the information they have about you and they should send it to you. The quote system is automated so it seems unlikely they would have given you the premium for having had an alarm if you did answer 'no' but bugs happen.
Went through the ombudsman. They found in LVs favour. No argument we made would persuade them. They were investigated by the Telegraph a few years before for the same issue. They changed their website subtly to get around the ruling and I got caught by it. I'm very diligent about this stuff but they got me so never again and I take every opportunity to warn others about LVs shady practice. If Direct Line can give me insurance even though I answer no to the alarm question then everyone should be able to. In fact I have an alarm now but I still answer that I don't have one on the grounds that if/when I get burgled again it will be sods law that it happens on the one night I forget to arm it! Rather pay the extra few quid a year than risk it.

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
Point is, as in comment, to inform people based on your own experience.
When I took out my house insurance they asked the standard questions. Do you have a smoke alarm. I answered no. Do you have a burglar alarm? I answered no. They then proceeded to offer me a quote which I accepted. The small print said that the insurance was on condition I have a burglar alarm installed and I didn't spot that. Hence my advice to read and double read and triple read the small print. I would rather have insurance decline than have one offered with conditions to questions that I've already answered 'No' to. I'm currently with Direct Line. They asked the same questions. I gave the same answers and I have insurance with no qualifying conditions attached. That's how it should work. LV were investigated for exactly this and found to be wanting in how their website was designed. They redesigned it but I still fell for their trap.
Well, just to inform people from my own experience, Direct Line are the biggest steaming turd of an insurance company and I would never insure with them ever again. They dealt with a no fault claim of mine where I was injured in the most dreadful fashion.

LV on the other hand I’ve found very refreshing and helpful. They dealt with a claim where a piece of timber fell from a lorry and speared through my windscreen exiting through the rear window. It was painless.

So, my advice is don’t really go on anybody’s anecdotal experience with an insurance company, as these large ones will always have people who have experienced a horror story.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well, just to inform people from my own experience, Direct Line are the biggest steaming turd of an insurance company and I would never insure with them ever again. They dealt with a no fault claim of mine where I was injured in the most dreadful fashion.

LV on the other hand I’ve found very refreshing and helpful. They dealt with a claim where a piece of timber fell from a lorry and speared through my windscreen exiting through the rear window. It was painless.

So, my advice is don’t really go on anybody’s anecdotal experience with an insurance company, as these large ones will always have people who have experienced a horror story.
Good lord! Hope you're ok now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a motorbike stolen many years ago and insurance refused to pay out. It was my fault because it was on my drive and not in the shed. Even though I told them I had no garage, they refused the claim based on the fact it was not in a garage.

I only take out insurance now when its a legal requirement. Instead I put the premiums I would have used in a savings account, and that pays for when there is an 'incident'.

The TLDR is all insurance companies are w4nkers. It's the nature of their business, a far cry from a mutual society where everyone is in it for mutual protection. If they are floated on the stock exchange they are interested in only one thing - maximising profits from minimising payouts.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A friend of mine had her MX 5 stolen a few years ago, her insurance refused to pay out. She had arranged the insurance on the phone to them, they didn't ask her if the car was an import, which it was. When the paperwork was sent through for signing they had added the question and answered no on her behalf. She didn't notice and send the paperwork back. it was on this basis that they refused to pay out! Ombudsman found in favour of the insurance company as it was a failure to disclose. You have to be so careful with the way you answer the questions.

·
Registered
Golf GT TDI
1 Posts
Has anyone managed to get an insurance quote for their ID3 yet? I've tried a couple of companies but neither of them list the ID3. Getting through to customer support at the moment is challenging to say the least.
Gocompare gave me 5 quotes on-line for an ID3 that I don't yet have. Wow! From £1060 to £1463. Currently pay £701 for a Golf in London 30+ years driving, no points and full NCD.
I will be interested to see how prices pan out from when I place an order.
Hope people post their experiences.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I sorted out the 5 day drive away insurance with the VW agents, they've offered me a years insurance for £420 including protected no claims and legal cover which is £200 better than my best offer elsewhere, so it looks like I'm going with them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have stayed with Aviva. They difference in price from my e-Golf to ID.3 1st Edition was about £10 on £320 - that's Fully Comp with 12+ years NCD, 30+ years driving, no points. But I live in the sticks, have an off-street driveway (with my eoMini charger).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts