Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a August 2021 ID3 Max Pro and I have noticed recently since the software update that the charging speed has decreased significantly.

For example:

50KW Charger - Charging rate inside car on dash shows 35-40 KW
22KW Charger
- Charging rate inside car dash shows up to 39 KW
Home charger 7.7KW
- Charging rate inside car dash shows up to 25KW

Prior to the update the 50KW charger would 108-110 inside car on dash. Im worried there is something wrong with my vehicle.

Any idea on what the problem could be?

Many thanks!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
The display in the car reads in milies per hour, not kilowatt hours. 25 miles per hour is correct for a 7kw home charger. I think the maximum AC charging rate for the ID.3 is 11kw, so when connected to a 22kw AC charger, 39 mph sounds about right too.

Not sure about the 50kw charger speed. You'd expect just over 100mph at 50kw I think, but you may not actually get that rate in some situations. If the battery is very cold or almost full are situations that would have a reduced charging rate.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
645 Posts
I personally tend to divide by 4. So 200 mph on the charging screen is about 50kw.
obviously to get that on a rapid with 50kw max you would need a low SOC and a battery at the optimal temperature.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry it is MPH. Essentially, when I am using faster chargers, I am not seeing the benefit in mph rate during charge. Before the software update I was seeing higher rates when using faster chargers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
With cold battery you won't get full charging speed on DC. When battery is below 17°C you will get max 65kW.

Battery temperature and charging speed in KW are easy to read with obd2 dongle.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 w/ Onto
70 Posts
With cold battery you won't get full charging speed on DC. When battery is below 17°C you will get max 65kW.
Even at 50kW the mph display should be at least 180ish mph on the dash display, 35-40 is what I get on an 11kW AC charger.

OP, which of the two cables in this pic are you using to charge in the first example above?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yep, 100%. And so presumably the car reports several hours to full when on a CCS charging at this speed, which is about 8/9kW of charge power?
Charge curve on a 50kw ccs Friday car battery temp was nor perfect and had started at 4 degrees prior to 12 mile 30mph drive.

so getting close to charger limit

tronity is free for id3 at the moment and useful to avoid any unit conversion confusion if looking at charging issues. Plus useful to show dealer if a problem does exist
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Slope

1 - 15 of 15 Posts