Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just spent about an hour on Utube watching the last reviews on the ID3 with actual British cars. All reviewers assert that the car is good to drive but they all had one thing in common they all displayed faults during the test which doesn't inspire confidence. I've always suspected VW software why wouldn't you when their most critical and costly failure was diesel gate. I have a GTE Passat amongst others and the software is never to be trusted!
First test was car wow don't know his name (he never says) but he had a major sensor reading failure taking out lane keeping adaptive cruise etc and the ID3 lights to indicate turning direction never worked nor did voice commands. Another reviewer was constantly being told to take control of the steering when he clearly had both hands on the wheel. Stuff like that really puts me off.
Also a white interior with white steering wheel what is that all about - next thing you will see are actually white coloured cars, surely no one would be that stupid.....
Light switches in the wrong place, upside down wiper controls and a select switch for the rear electric windows all that is very disappointing.
But by far the worst mistake the VW have made here is more lies - specifically about the range - the one sensitive area for electric car buyers. Version one cars are quoted to have 260 mile range but will only really do just over 200 miles that is therefore another VW LIE. Have they not learned anything in the last 5 years? Why not claim 200 mile range and get great reviews when people find it will do more than the spec? I know WLTP ratings bla bla
I'm considering an ID3 purchase but am leaning towards a high spec eGolf (leather), I think it looks classier inside and thats where I sit.
I don't need 200 mile range as I have other cars for long journey's and I'm starting to hate the hype and lies associated with this car.
I note that Autocar gave it a somewhat lacklustre review against a Leaf+ this week too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
So if you are so much against the VW lies why you even bother to watch reviews etc? At the same time you are "leaning" towards Golf...strangely enough, another VW product 😄 You don't need the real life 200 miles range, you hate the wipers and windows controls but you haven't even sat in the car yet and please don't even start me on the colour. Can you even Imagine that, all the imbeciles out there in white cars WOW, this is such a travesty. Such a poor taste....
I think you should look for a purple coloured Robin Reliant with dark green interior, very classy and unique combination.
So let's go back to the main question....
Vw...or a VW..... that's the question....(not to mention that you have Passat GTE already...)
I would say neither of them....after all both cars are VW and you cannot stand the LIES, so why even bother.....stick with the VW you already have....better the Devil you know....you know👍

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a joke, right??
Not really a joke but a bit tongue in cheek I'll admit. I do think VW make good cars generally thats why I've had so many over the years but it is true that recently they have lost the plot on software issues. Diesel gate being proof enough but also the fact that they can't get Apple Play to work in an ID3 when every other car manufacturer can cope with that problem. The GTE is a great car, one of the best I've had and an eye opener for how good an electric car can be but the fact that We Connect is totally unreliable and their Sat Nav system is terrible compared with every other car makes me pause for thought.
And open some discussion on here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if you are so much against the VW lies why you even bother to watch reviews etc? At the same time you are "leaning" towards Golf...strangely enough, another VW product 😄 You don't need the real life 200 miles range, you hate the wipers and windows controls but you haven't even sat in the car yet and please don't even start me on the colour. Can you even Imagine that, all the imbeciles out there in white cars WOW, this is such a travesty. Such a poor taste....
I think you should look for a purple coloured Robin Reliant with dark green interior, very classy and unique combination.
So let's go back to the main question....
Vw...or a VW..... that's the question....(not to mention that you have Passat GTE already...)
I would say neither of them....after all both cars are VW and you cannot stand the LIES, so why even bother.....stick with the VW you already have....better the Devil you know....you know👍
View attachment 136245
I will be sticking with the GTE its a great car as are others I have - I was considering the ID3 as a short journey environmentally friendly addition.
Its not poor taste to slam white cars. All cars should be grey/silver on the outside and black on the inside unless they are Italian and fast in which case they should be red on the outside and black inside. Think how much cheaper cars would be if this were the case and we would all be so much happier.
I've never owned a purple car or a Reliant but i have had white - a Golf in fact but it was a once in a lifetime experience.
All car manufactures lie, some lie more than others, some tell bigger lies than others, some get caught and have their lies exposed in public costing billions, some learn from this.....
I

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,950 Posts
It could be argued that the diesel gate software was actually quite clever, so somebody at VW was pretty good at it.

But anyway, not that I’m condoning what they were doing with it, of course.

I’ve only driven an ID.3 1st for about an hour, so hard to find out much about a car and its foibles in that time, and I’m not an online car reviewer who has clicks to seek, but I didn’t really notice anything that irked me.

I had an I-pace for a day last year, and after reading all the reviews stating how ‘laggy’ the infotainment is, I was surprised to find it wasn’t bad. The rest of the car was great as well.

My current e-Golf has, fingers crossed, not missed a beat over the last 18 months and 27k miles.

Perhaps it’s because I’m an older guy, but what I mainly want from a car is for it to start, go, steer and stop nicely, ‘software’ for me is the bit where I choose a radio station or use the sat nav. The other software that runs the car I don’t want to see or know about.

To be frank, I’m struggling to think of a car I’ve driven over the last 10 years (I get various hire cars via work) that was bad, plenty I disliked looks wise, but they all just worked.

Apart from the Vauxhsll Astra drivers seat, a terrible device, but I suppose even that functioned as intended.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,096 Posts
It could be argued that the diesel gate software was actually quite clever, so somebody at VW was pretty good at it.
I will also have a problem with putting VW at the front of DieselGate. They might have been the first, but since then almost all OEMs have been proven to have similar devices/procedures in their vehicles at the time. So, if the OP should avoid a OEM... he should stay away from all car manufacturers?

So, OP should go with Tesla? Discussion over, good luck with Tesla FSD, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

But anyway, not that I’m condoning what they were doing with it, of course.

I’ve only driven an ID.3 1st for about an hour, so hard to find out much about a car and its foibles in that time, and I’m not an online car reviewer who has clicks to seek, but I didn’t really notice anything that irked me.

I had an I-pace for a day last year, and after reading all the reviews stating how ‘laggy’ the infotainment is, I was surprised to find it wasn’t bad. The rest of the car was great as well.

My current e-Golf has, fingers crossed, not missed a beat over the last 18 months and 27k miles.

Perhaps it’s because I’m an older guy, but what I mainly want from a car is for it to start, go, steer and stop nicely, ‘software’ for me is the bit where I choose a radio station or use the sat nav. The other software that runs the car I don’t want to see or know about.

To be frank, I’m struggling to think of a car I’ve driven over the last 10 years (I get various hire cars via work) that was bad, plenty I disliked looks wise, but they all just worked.

Apart from the Vauxhsll Astra drivers seat, a terrible device, but I suppose even that functioned as intended.
Interesting to hear from a long term eGolf owner who has driven an ID3. So would you replace the eGolf with an ID3?

·
Registered
117 Posts
About range, I think you should know by now about batteries and car range. With EV you can have 280 miles and 200 miles range. Depend from the speed, weather. If you drive with 90km/h you can achieve 450km. If you drive with 130km/h , you can do around 280 km. Test done by Battery life. In UK maybe less because of the colder weather. If you drive in the city you can get almost 300 miles(Polish guy achieved 122 wh/km consumption in city, 90km/h roads). I think in real life you can have 200-300 km between charging stops if you do 1000 km trip. So, I think it is OK. And how often anyone do 1000 km trip? Now the car is here, charging network need to catch up.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,950 Posts
Interesting to hear from a long term eGolf owner who has driven an ID3. So would you replace the eGolf with an ID3?
It would be a fine replacement for the e-Golf, especially if I needed the extra range, and I would have no qualms having one on the drive.

The interior is a breakaway from a traditional VW, I’d liken it more to my old i3 than the Golf, and it didn’t feel like a cheap interior to me despite not being keen on the lighter colours etc.

There are some great EVs out there now, and more on the way, and if my first paragraph hardly sounds like a ringing endorsement it’s because I’m waiting for the performance variants of the ID.3, perhaps something with AWD. I’m not wedded to VW even though I do like them, so will look around when the time comes.

If I were buying now, and the choice was between the e-Golf or ID.3 for similar money, then of course it would be the ID.3 as the extra range and charging speed would swing it.

Is the ID.3 good enough for me to want to pay another £15k to get into the launch editions? No.

The series cars might be a better proposition, the 58 kWh versions with limited frills and 100kw charging sound more up my Straße.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I bought my E-Golf and had it delivered in Oct 2018. I bought the e-Golf because it had the range for my weekly 1-2 day commute of 80 miles round trip. It was a hatchback, also important for my other uses. The e-Golf was great, I paid for the extra options of exterior paint, heat pump and Active Info display. During my use over two years, I did use the SatNav, and updated it with my own set of Rapid Chargers POI, as the VW updates did not keep up with charging locations. I did some longer trips and found that the car was reliable for Rapid DC charging (cannot say that some networks' chargers were equally as reliable). I did use Apple Car Play with Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze for navigation as well. The CarNet/We Connect app for the e-golf was OK, not quick to start, and not always available. I used scheduled charging, and had a home charging point installed. It was great to pre-heat the car in the winter, turn on the front screen heater remotely, whilst plugged in at home. No more screen scraping!

So why did I put down a pre-book, and take up an ID.3 1st Edition? I wanted a more efficient car, longer range, more internal space. I still wanted a hatchback. I wanted to be able to affix a bicycle rack (cannot do that on e-Golf other than the Saris-bones style hung off the tailgate - unacceptable to me). Firstly to note, I went into taking up the 1st Edition knowing full well that App-Connect (Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Mirrorlink) was not yet available. I found that upon delivery that other parts of the software stack were not included yet: notably for me the scheduled charging, the We Connect ID app is not fully functional. Yes I have had a few software glitches, nothing that is a showstopper. Yes you can say that I am a beta tester. But I chose to take up the 1st Edition in the Sept delivery window., I could have waited. I could have cancelled the 1st Edition and waited until this week when the series range of ID.3 in the UK are available in the Configurator. But delivery would be later still. (I waited 9 months for my e-Golf). I have my transport hitch for the bicycle rack on order. I can respond if you want to your specific criticisms, such as the Lane Assist - which can be turned off. The range is great, your WLTP thing should not be solely levelled at VW, as it is not a VW standard, so all BEVs should be criticised. I chose for my 1st to have the orange and white interior. It is my choice, I wanted less black.

Positively the 1st Edition has the Active Matrix headlights which are superb! Most of my driving is in very rural, unlit country lanes and roads. The visibility of the lights is very, very good. I find that the speech is limited (at present, the blue ID light for navigation is a good feature, the keyless features are very useful, the space, loading area are greater than the e-Golf. I leave the wipers in auto as I did on e-Golf. The door card controls are slightly different but not a major issue, as are the haptic controls on the steering wheel. I really like the heated seats and steering wheel, much better use of the battery for heating than warming air to blow throughout the car. I am seeing better efficiency than the e-Golf but in both I rarely drove in any mode than normal.

I do eagerly await the major software update in 1Q 2021 for 1st, with improved functions and reliability issues resolved. I expect to see the SatNav more frequently updated as the ACC and Eco Assistance driving rely on both Signpost detection and the details in the SatNav for adjusting the speed (if you chose those settings). I expect to see the We Connect ID app also develop with new functions.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't wish to jump in and appear to want to answer for @Tooks, but, I am an e-golf owner that drove an ID3 1st for about 1.5 hours yesterday and (based on that car) I would definitely not replace my e-golf with an ID3 right now.
Nice enough car to drive but not the same quality and finish the golf range has.
Oh, the car had faults when i got in to drive it as well! Central screen was dead except for rear camera function.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Having driven a Model 3, (not for long enough really), Kona, eNiro, Ioniq 28kWh , and eGolf, and currently leasing an Ioniq 38kWh , I can easily say that the hour or so I spent test driving the ID.3 was my best experience of EV driving.

Fast enough, very comfortable, techie enough, and we know from range testing, (Bjorn, Battery Life), that is is almost as efficient as Model 3.

There will be software glitches, but VW will not want you turning up at the dealer every week, so they will be sorted.

Will I buy one?

If I could afford to buy outright probably, but I would want the MAX.

At VW lease pricing currently no.

I can't justify at least £200 pm more than the Ioniq, which is fully loaded, and a great car if you don't need to rapid charge very often. 😊

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought my E-Golf and had it delivered in Oct 2018. I bought the e-Golf because it had the range for my weekly 1-2 day commute of 80 miles round trip. It was a hatchback, also important for my other uses. The e-Golf was great, I paid for the extra options of exterior paint, heat pump and Active Info display. During my use over two years, I did use the SatNav, and updated it with my own set of Rapid Chargers POI, as the VW updates did not keep up with charging locations. I did some longer trips and found that the car was reliable for Rapid DC charging (cannot say that some networks' chargers were equally as reliable). I did use Apple Car Play with Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze for navigation as well. The CarNet/We Connect app for the e-golf was OK, not quick to start, and not always available. I used scheduled charging, and had a home charging point installed. It was great to pre-heat the car in the winter, turn on the front screen heater remotely, whilst plugged in at home. No more screen scraping!

So why did I put down a pre-book, and take up an ID.3 1st Edition? I wanted a more efficient car, longer range, more internal space. I still wanted a hatchback. I wanted to be able to affix a bicycle rack (cannot do that on e-Golf other than the Saris-bones style hung off the tailgate - unacceptable to me). Firstly to note, I went into taking up the 1st Edition knowing full well that App-Connect (Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Mirrorlink) was not yet available. I found that upon delivery that other parts of the software stack were not included yet: notably for me the scheduled charging, the We Connect ID app is not fully functional. Yes I have had a few software glitches, nothing that is a showstopper. Yes you can say that I am a beta tester. But I chose to take up the 1st Edition in the Sept delivery window., I could have waited. I could have cancelled the 1st Edition and waited until this week when the series range of ID.3 in the UK are available in the Configurator. But delivery would be later still. (I waited 9 months for my e-Golf). I have my transport hitch for the bicycle rack on order. I can respond if you want to your specific criticisms, such as the Lane Assist - which can be turned off. The range is great, your WLTP thing should not be solely levelled at VW, as it is not a VW standard, so all BEVs should be criticised. I chose for my 1st to have the orange and white interior. It is my choice, I wanted less black.

Positively the 1st Edition has the Active Matrix headlights which are superb! Most of my driving is in very rural, unlit country lanes and roads. The visibility of the lights is very, very good. I find that the speech is limited (at present, the blue ID light for navigation is a good feature, the keyless features are very useful, the space, loading area are greater than the e-Golf. I leave the wipers in auto as I did on e-Golf. The door card controls are slightly different but not a major issue, as are the haptic controls on the steering wheel. I really like the heated seats and steering wheel, much better use of the battery for heating than warming air to blow throughout the car. I am seeing better efficiency than the e-Golf but in both I rarely drove in any mode than normal.

I do eagerly await the major software update in 1Q 2021 for 1st, with improved functions and reliability issues resolved. I expect to see the SatNav more frequently updated as the ACC and Eco Assistance driving rely on both Signpost detection and the details in the SatNav for adjusting the speed (if you chose those settings). I expect to see the We Connect ID app also develop with new functions.
Thank you for the comprehensive and informative reply. Guess I'll go and give one a try - its not that easy up here in rural Northern Scotland. Incidentally I have these lights on the GTE and agree that they are brilliant. I'm sure it will be a great car when the Apple Car Play is available but till then.... Also I'm concerned that there is no leather seat option as yet BMW i3 had that which seems to be what VW aspire to be with the ID3.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Having driven a Model 3, (not for long enough really), Kona, eNiro, Ioniq 28kWh , and eGolf, and currently leasing an Ioniq 38kWh , I can easily say that the hour or so I spent test driving the ID.3 was my best experience of EV driving.

Fast enough, very comfortable, techie enough, and we know from range testing, (Bjorn, Battery Life), that is is almost as efficient as Model 3.

There will be software glitches, but VW will not want you turning up at the dealer every week, so they will be sorted.

Will I buy one?

I can't justify at least £200 pm more than the Ioniq, which is fully loaded, and a great car if you don't need to rapid charge very often. 😊
Ha I drove the Ioniq last year PHEV version and liked the tech too which all seemed to actually work. Its just a bit big for the job I want - but maybe I'll look at that option again. I do like the quality feel of the top spec VW though just not convinced ID3 will feel like that inside - budget feel at premium price??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha I drove the Ioniq last year PHEV version and liked the tech too which all seemed to actually work. Its just a bit big for the job I want - but maybe I'll look at that option again. I do like the quality feel of the top spec VW though just not convinced ID3 will feel like that inside - budget feel at premium price??

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thank you for the comprehensive and informative reply. Guess I'll go and give one a try - its not that easy up here in rural Northern Scotland. Incidentally I have these lights on the GTE and agree that they are brilliant. I'm sure it will be a great car when the Apple Car Play is available but till then.... Also I'm concerned that there is no leather seat option as yet BMW i3 had that which seems to be what VW aspire to be with the ID3.
Yes just be open to the fact that the only ID.3 you are going to get to try is an 1st Edition, with all of the omissions and glitches. Check out the VW UK Configurator for the ID.3 series range and see what variant and extras would fulfil your needs.
I am sure that I read somewhere that VW (and others) are moving away from leather for environmental reasons.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Guess I'll go and give one a try - its not that easy up here in rural Northern Scotland.
I've test driven Inverness Hawco's demonstrator. Solo test drive, because no one was booked after me they gave the key and told me to take it as long as I wanted. Depending where you are it's still potentially quite a trek, but I think it would be worth you giving it a go. They were certainly making the effort to know about the car and we had a long chat about the realities of life with an EV.

I've had an eGolf 2.5 years, 32k miles and love it. My only real gripe is range for weekends away and day trips, which I do very frequently all around the Highlands. Would I replace it with an ID3. Yes. Am I going to. No, not now. Looking at the different models I'd probably like the Tour, even though I think a 58kWh battery is actually enough. So, bearing in mind the finger in the air guesstimate for trade in value of my eGolf is the extra range, augmented heads up and various other toys worth just over £20k. Not for me. I'll live with the public charging network and hope it improves in rural Scotland. Maybe in a few years once they come off lease, all the software is hopefully sorted and there may actually be more high powered chargers where I'm going.

·
Registered
117 Posts
About the leader seats, this is one thing Bjorn didn't like in his Model 3 and Polestar 2. They make his back sweat. He liked ID3 seat. Skoda Enyaq will have leader seats I think.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Will I buy one?

The UK lease pricing for the ID3 series hasn’t been released yet. It’s out this Wednesday....
It will be interesting to see the 58kWh Life pricing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts