Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I've had my ID3 for about over 3 months now. I'm a little concerned about the range I'm getting. It was advertised as being 260 but the range only ever displays as 200 when fully charged. This is how it has been since delivery.

To be clear:
Charged to 100%
No other gadgets switched on i.e. heated seats, air con etc.
Weather not cold.

I'm aware that range is affected by many factors like driving style and cold weather and such. I would expect the display to read close to 260 when fully charged though.

Please let me know what other ID3's are reading at full charge. Thanks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hey. I've had my ID3 for about over 3 months now. I'm a little concerned about the range I'm getting. It was advertised as being 260 but the range only ever displays as 200 when fully charged. This is how it has been since delivery.

To be clear:
Charged to 100%
Weather not cold.

I'm aware that range is affected by many factors like driving style and cold weather and such. I would expect the display to read close to 260 when fully charged though.

I’ve never charged to 100%, but mine usually shows about 190 miles at 80%

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
90 Posts
Also never charged to 100% but have seen over 200 miles on the GOM when at or just above 80%. On collection day the dealer had charged it to 91% and at one point on the short drive home it showed 280 miles on the GOM, but not for long.

Reactions: Swede962

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,675 Posts

To be clear:
Charged to 100%
Weather not cold.

There’s nothing wrong with your car. You say ‘weather not cold’ but it’s been winter then a cool spring here is Europe so you won’t see better range until the summer.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
173 Posts
Like all EVs, it is predictive based on driving history. So there’s nothing wrong with it, your driving history is giving you that efficiency. WLTP ranges are combined figures (not to mention they say “up to...”) and if you’re not doing the same drive profile measured for WLTP AND the weather isn’t that warm, a 25% reduction is not unexpected.

I think range is supposed to manage your expectations not give you an optimistic figure that then leaves you stranded because you thought it could go further that day...

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,615 Posts
I do mostly long faster journeys in mine, A road and M-Way, currently it’s sitting showing 168 miles at 80% so a fully charged range of 210 or thereabouts.

That’s the cars assessment of how I use it, so personal to me and my journeys, which appears to roughly be based on long term average consumption and current temperature.

It’s not quite true that all cars base the predicted range on how you’ve been driving, our Tesla uses the EPA range by default, and doesn’t vary based on how you’ve been driving it.

I suspect that there’s nothing wrong with your car, very few people drive in real life like the WLTP test, so you won’t ever see 263 or whatever it is. I suspect more city bound cars might get close, but for non urban driving 200+ would be more normal.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Mine’s currently reporting 207 miles at 80%.

Reactions: Swede962

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
148 Posts
This is exactly the same in an ICE car.
In my Ibiza it bases it off the past 20 minutes of driving. If I've been doing nothing but city driving, then the range drops drastically. EG the other week I was in London, and the traffic was the typical London nightmare. The previous 20 mins of driving my average MPG was probably about 30-35, and so the range calculation was very pessimistic. Filled up and headed out onto the motorway home to Manchester, and the range was 350 miles. It then proceeded to increase to about 400 miles by the time I'd got to about Banbury.
Given EV's advantages in the city vs on the motorway, I'd imagine an ID.3 would behave the exact opposite!

It's called a Guess-O-Meter for a reason :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had a 12 mile journey in optimum conditions (warm enough so no heater required, not so warm that the AC was needed) the other day and achieved a personal best of 4.8 miles per kwh. I charged the car to 80% that night and the next morning the range was reporting 206 miles. That’s also a personal best for 80%. It usually reports 180-190.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Pickup last week, dealership had charged to 100% and it was showing 308 miles of range. On my 240 mile trek home, I was up to about 180 miles when I stopped to charge, with the car indicating 37 miles left, so 217 realistic range at 15C ambient temp, doing 70mph all the way with the odd creep into 80mph to get past cars with cruise set 1 or 2mph slower than me. Once I'd charged up and was up to about 100 miles of indicated range with 60 miles to go, I was maintaining 80mph.

I ended up with a 3.7 miles per kWh average.

Around the doors we're averaging 3.8 miles per kWh. Charging to 80% we get about a 190 mile indicated range.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
All of my journeys involve motorways. Even my commute to work involves 10 miles or so on a motorway. So my GOM is always based on some amount of recent motorway driving. I also drive the ID.3 at 70mph usually on motorways. Doubt I'll see over 200 reported until summer really kicks in.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
90 Posts

Charged to 84 % this morning and this is what I had 232 miles. Drove for about 200 yards and it went up to 235 miles. :) Most recent trips are around 15 miles and include some motorway. Have been getting up to 4.5 mpkWh with the milder weather recently.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,675 Posts
I'm 151 miles at 78%. It's all pretty meaningless really, as long as you have more than enough range to get to where you want today.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
302 Posts
It is definitely worth doing some research on WLTP:

1. It’s a lab test, carried out at 15-23 degrees celsius
2. The ideal temperature for an EV battery is 21 degrees
3. All manufacturers have to publish WLTP for their cars - it‘s not a promise

1 - 20 of 41 Posts