Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After arriving home and plugging my iD3 into the Pod Point home charger, I noticed after 2 hours it was only charging at <3KWH (11mph).
Stopped and re-started the charging process and the same result.
Upon further investigation I realised for some reason I'd un-covered the CCS charger point access. So decided too stop the charging, unlock car to remove charger plug in car before replacing the CCS charge cover and then started the charging process again.
Now charging at 7KWH (28mph)(y)
Clearly the car expects a higher charger KWH input if this cover is removed.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 GTX & M3 LR
10,822 Posts
After arriving home and plugging my iD3 into the Pod Point home charger, I noticed after 2 hours it was only charging at <3KWH (11mph).
Stopped and re-started the charging process and the same result.
Upon further investigation I realised for some reason I'd un-covered the CCS charger point access. So decided too stop the charging, unlock car to remove charger plug in car before replacing the CCS charge cover and then started the charging process again.
Now charging at 7KWH (28mph)(y)
Clearly the car expects a higher charger KWH input if this cover is removed.
Welcome!

Unfortunately, the cover you’re referring to, that covers the DC part of the CCS connector is dumb, and does nothing.

Only plugging in the CCS charge plug would give the car any idea that you’re about to charge using DC.

Far more likely is that you’ve discovered a software bug that stopping the charge by unlocking and restarting it via plug removal and insertion fixed.

My own car has done this before, and like you restarting the charge fixed it. The lower charge socket cover was in place at all times.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Welcome!

Unfortunately, the cover you’re referring to, that covers the DC part of the CCS connector is dumb, and does nothing.

Only plugging in the CCS charge plug would give the car any idea that you’re about to charge using DC.

Far more likely is that you’ve discovered a software bug that stopping the charge by unlocking and restarting it via plug removal and insertion fixed.

My own car has done this before, and like you restarting the charge fixed it. The lower charge socket cover was in place at all times.
On some chargers, usually older ones, it matters which order you put the cable in for whether you got 3.6kW or 7kW charging.
i.e. plug into car first or charger first.
Stupid I know :D

Reactions: Tooks and ID3 1st

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had my ID3 for 2 weeks. I’ve mostly charged on the slow 13A plug connector so far but had my 7kW podpoint installed yesterday.
I plugged in last night and it started charging but only at 7mph - the same rate I had been getting from the 13A cable. I stopped it and physically unplugged it the plugged it in again. I came back inside and checked the WeConnect app - now it indicated 21mph with 4 hours 35 mins remaining.
I checked the app again a while later and it was back down to 7mph again. I stopped charging from the app and then restarted from the app again. Now it was back up to 21mph again. Left it alone and went to bed.
Just woken up and checked the WeConnect app. It’s charging at 7mph again and has only got to 59%. Very annoyed but I can’t figure out what’s not working correctly. My feeling is that the car is for some reason deciding to charge at the slow rate.
I did also plug in to a 7kw podpoint charger in a car park last week and on that occasion it only charged at the slow 7mph rate too.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve had my ID3 for 2 weeks. I’ve mostly charged on the slow 13A plug connector so far but had my 7kW podpoint installed yesterday.
I plugged in last night and it started charging but only at 7mph - the same rate I had been getting from the 13A cable. I stopped it and physically unplugged it the plugged it in again. I came back inside and checked the WeConnect app - now it indicated 21mph with 4 hours 35 mins remaining.
I checked the app again a while later and it was back down to 7mph again. I stopped charging from the app and then restarted from the app again. Now it was back up to 21mph again. Left it alone and went to bed.
Just woken up and checked the WeConnect app. It’s charging at 7mph again and has only got to 59%. Very annoyed but I can’t figure out what’s not working correctly. My feeling is that the car is for some reason deciding to charge at the slow rate.
I did also plug in to a 7kw podpoint charger in a car park last week and on that occasion it only charged at the slow 7mph rate too.
Any ideas?
We have just got our id3 and plugged in for the first time last night. Same problem seems to only charge at 3kw. On our 7kw charge point. Worked on the Zoe no problem. Help!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
We have just got our id3 and plugged in for the first time last night. Same problem seems to only charge at 3kw. On our 7kw charge point. Worked on the Zoe no problem. Help!
I guess checking the cable really is a 32A cable and not a 16A is the place to start.
Should be visible on the cable or connector possibly in tiny writing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I went through the car charging menus, the WeConnect App and my charger App and switched off all automations, schedules etc.
That seemed to fix the problem - when I plug in now it charges immediatelt at full power up to 80%. (I kept the 80% setting).

My guess is that some of the scheduling functions can conflict with each other so probably best on only “control” charging from one of the three possible places (Car, Charger App, WeConnect App). I haven’t yet tried to set up any scheduling again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This advice has saved me a huge amount of hassle. Since I sorted out the We Connect App I set up a charging and preheat schedule one night. It only partly charged and I thought it must be something I had done wrong. This week, it not only didn’t it charge much, I couldn’t restart a charge by unplugging and re plugging the charger. I took it into town and tried it on a commercai charger and it wouldn’t charge there either. Rang the local VW dealer. Not interested. Could only offer a slot to look at it in 2 weeks time and would have to pay a deposit. Eventually rang VW roadside assistance who were great, but couldn’t diagnose the problem. Arranged a courtesy car for me and arranged for the car to be recovered to the dealer 50 mls away who could look at it in 5 days. This morning I tried charging it again (no charging programme scheduled). It was cycling on and off and giving a tiny trickle charge. Found this site and tried all the suggestions. Stopped the charge from inside the car. Unplugged the charger. Locked and unlocked the car a couple of times. Then restarted charging from inside the car and plugged in the charger. Now charging as normal. Stopped the transporter lorry carting the car off and stood down the car rental. There is clearly a conflict between We Connect App and the car’s software, and possibly the wi fi connection to my PodPoint charger. Don’t know what, but I won’t be using We Connect to start charging again!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 1st Edition https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
860 Posts
I'm wondering if it's a thing with PodPoint units & the way they are configured/designed causing issues with some manufacturers on board car charger software? Are all of the above using PodPoint ones?
I say this as I have exactly the same issues but with Public PodPoint units & my KIa Soul, it's a lotery as to what charge rate I get, anything from 1.1 to 6.3kWh despite all been 7kWh labelled & only my car plugged in so not sharing power... On public Polar units & my Rolec home charger it's always 7kWh no problem..
Just a thought that it might not only be VW that have issues with PodPoint..

·
Registered
327 Posts
Oh I dunno, I have a Zappi which works fine 99% time. Last night I had the audacity to change the Max charging limit using the wecharge app instead of in the car itself and the car charged at a paltry 1kW during its Zappi timed slot.

Also since the 2.3 upgrade I've been getting a lot more "charging error" notifications on my phone.

Unplugged and replugged the connector and it's back to 7kW normality...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome!

Hi,
i have a similar problem, using the home charger of my wife eletric car (Kona), the speed was limited to 1Kw in ID3.
Removing the DC cover instead was working , and i was suprised ...
The point was that with the plastic DC cover in place, the Kona plug was entering but not fully , probably it was remaining just a bit out, so the ID3 detecting this was reducing the charging speed, maybe a pin of the plug was not detected.

So maybe you home charger plug has the same "size" issue , and now it looks solved by removing the DC cover.

So DC cover fixed the issue from an "hardware" point of view....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.