Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After arriving home and plugging my iD3 into the Pod Point home charger, I noticed after 2 hours it was only charging at <3KWH (11mph).
Stopped and re-started the charging process and the same result.
Upon further investigation I realised for some reason I'd un-covered the CCS charger point access. So decided too stop the charging, unlock car to remove charger plug in car before replacing the CCS charge cover and then started the charging process again.
Now charging at 7KWH (28mph)(y)
Clearly the car expects a higher charger KWH input if this cover is removed.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,674 Posts
After arriving home and plugging my iD3 into the Pod Point home charger, I noticed after 2 hours it was only charging at <3KWH (11mph).
Stopped and re-started the charging process and the same result.
Upon further investigation I realised for some reason I'd un-covered the CCS charger point access. So decided too stop the charging, unlock car to remove charger plug in car before replacing the CCS charge cover and then started the charging process again.
Now charging at 7KWH (28mph)(y)
Clearly the car expects a higher charger KWH input if this cover is removed.
Welcome!

Unfortunately, the cover you’re referring to, that covers the DC part of the CCS connector is dumb, and does nothing.

Only plugging in the CCS charge plug would give the car any idea that you’re about to charge using DC.

Far more likely is that you’ve discovered a software bug that stopping the charge by unlocking and restarting it via plug removal and insertion fixed.

My own car has done this before, and like you restarting the charge fixed it. The lower charge socket cover was in place at all times.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Welcome!

Unfortunately, the cover you’re referring to, that covers the DC part of the CCS connector is dumb, and does nothing.

Only plugging in the CCS charge plug would give the car any idea that you’re about to charge using DC.

Far more likely is that you’ve discovered a software bug that stopping the charge by unlocking and restarting it via plug removal and insertion fixed.

My own car has done this before, and like you restarting the charge fixed it. The lower charge socket cover was in place at all times.
On some chargers, usually older ones, it matters which order you put the cable in for whether you got 3.6kW or 7kW charging.
i.e. plug into car first or charger first.
Stupid I know :D

Reactions: Tooks and ID3 1st

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had my ID3 for 2 weeks. I’ve mostly charged on the slow 13A plug connector so far but had my 7kW podpoint installed yesterday.
I plugged in last night and it started charging but only at 7mph - the same rate I had been getting from the 13A cable. I stopped it and physically unplugged it the plugged it in again. I came back inside and checked the WeConnect app - now it indicated 21mph with 4 hours 35 mins remaining.
I checked the app again a while later and it was back down to 7mph again. I stopped charging from the app and then restarted from the app again. Now it was back up to 21mph again. Left it alone and went to bed.
Just woken up and checked the WeConnect app. It’s charging at 7mph again and has only got to 59%. Very annoyed but I can’t figure out what’s not working correctly. My feeling is that the car is for some reason deciding to charge at the slow rate.
I did also plug in to a 7kw podpoint charger in a car park last week and on that occasion it only charged at the slow 7mph rate too.
Any ideas?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts