Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am narrowing down my purchase and have a question about the absence of the Sport Pack Plus on the Tour and other series models apart from Max. I am told the 1st also has the Sport Pack Plus. Having not test driven anything apart from the 1st I am wondering if anyone has driven a vehicle without the Sport Pack Plus and if so is there any discernible different in ride quality ?

Sports pack plus:
– Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC)
– Progressive steering

·
Registered
66 Posts
The UK 1st Edition does not have Sport Pack Plus - This as you correctly say is only available on the Max Edition.
Some counties have different versions of the 1st Edition (Eg Ireland) where they have the 1st MAX. You may find some online reviews that do a comparison.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The UK 1st Edition does not have Sport Pack Plus - This as you correctly say is only available on the Max Edition.
Some counties have different versions of the 1st Edition (Eg Ireland) where they have the 1st MAX. You may find some online reviews that do a comparison.
Thanks for the reply. It was the dealer who told me the 1st which I test drove had SPP, not surprised if this information turns out to be wrong.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi,

I am narrowing down my purchase and have a question about the absence of the Sport Pack Plus on the Tour and other series models apart from Max. I am told the 1st also has the Sport Pack Plus. Having not test driven anything apart from the 1st I am wondering if anyone has driven a vehicle without the Sport Pack Plus and if so is there any discernible different in ride quality ?

Sports pack plus:
– Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC)
– Progressive steering

View attachment 137324
Most of us who managed a test drive would have done so in the 1st Edition which as far as I know does not have the Sport Pack Plus. In particular DCC. I think only Bjorn has driven the 1st Max and he didn’t really mention DCC much. This would have been a big selling point if it was present in our 1st Plus model. It would be mentioned in all the reviews. Your test drive in the 1st was already without DCC. I thought it was quite comfortable. I suspect having DDC would allow different profiles to be selected from the screen.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had Adaptive chasis control on a previous golf and it never got touched. For me it would be a waste as I felt the standard suspension on the UK 1st ED that I had the test drive in was fine.

You have to watch the dealers as very few of them seem clued up at all and they will do anything to shift 1st Ed’s. My local dealer has 10 in stock and available for immediate delivery

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've driven quite a few VAG cars over the years, and none of them have convinced me that DCC is worth the money. It might be worth it if you're trying to improve split second timing on a track or do 100 miles over cobblestones, but for normal driving, I didn't really think that it was worth getting excited about.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've driven quite a few VAG cars over the years, and none of them have convinced me that DCC is worth the money. It might be worth it if you're trying to improve split second timing on a track or do 100 miles over cobblestones, but for normal driving, I didn't really think that it was worth getting excited about.
I have it on my Škoda Superb L&K and it’s brilliant... good enough to want it whenever possible in future.

Really soft and comfortable when you want a relaxing drive or you have someone with a bad back etc in the car.
It then goes right up to a firm sporty ride for when you want to ‘push on’.

There are of course another 2 setting in between plus an individual one where you can tweak all the various settings.

Mine doesn’t just stiffen the suspension (DCC), you can also change:
the weight of the steering,
the acceleration (Drive),
the active cruise control (ACC),
Dynamic lights,
A/C

Not sure if the ID.3 has all of these options but you can see it has potential to bring quite a bit to the table.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have it on my Škoda Superb L&K and it’s brilliant... good enough to want it whenever possible in future.
I've always found the ride in the Superb a bit soft for my liking (admittedly I've not driven an L&K version). Even when fiddling with the DCC, I couldn't get the ride that I wanted. I was actually amazed at how different the Passat and Superb ride actually is - I had always assumed that they were basically the same car with a different badge. Which is annoying, because the Superb is otherwise a great car, and a fair whack cheaper than a Passat.
Mine doesn’t just stiffen the suspension (DCC), you can also change:
the weight of the steering,
the acceleration (Drive),
the active cruise control (ACC),
Dynamic lights,
A/C
My Passat let's you configure these as well (apart from the features that I don't have). The fully tricked out Passat that I test drove had all of these options. I think it's fairly common on VAG cars these days to be honest, it's been a while since I've had a courtesy car that hasn't had these options.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've always found the ride in the Superb a bit soft for my liking (admittedly I've not driven an L&K version). Even when fiddling with the DCC, I couldn't get the ride that I wanted. I was actually amazed at how different the Passat and Superb ride actually is - I had always assumed that they were basically the same car with a different badge. Which is annoying, because the Superb is otherwise a great car, and a fair whack cheaper than a Passat.
I’ve not driven a lower model Superb but a friend had the top or the range Passat and he was surprised at how much spec was missing compared to my L&K Superb.

In comfort mode they are a true luxe barge... they will handle like a cruise ship through the corners but soak up all the bumps with ease.
In truth that is too soft for me (but ideal when the MIL is in the car), i usually have the suspension on normal as that is a good compromise, when in sport it handles better but at the cost of ride comfort (but still MUCH better than the SportLine version on sports suspension which is quite firm and not great on uneven roads).

I know I have digressed a bit but the point i was trying to get across is the DCC is worth the extra cost (IMO) as you can easily fine tune the way the car drives that suits YOU.
In reality once you have found your ideal settings you will leave it set like that for 90% of the time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I’ve not driven a lower model Superb but a friend had the top or the range Passat and he was surprised at how much spec was missing compared to my L&K Superb.
Agreed, L&Ks (and to be honest, Skodas generally) seem to be very well specced. When I was comparing the Superb iV vs the Passat GTE, the Superb had things that weren't even available on the Passat.
In truth that is too soft for me (but ideal when the MIL is in the car), i usually have the suspension on normal as that is a good compromise, when in sport it handles better but at the cost of ride comfort (but still MUCH better than the SportLine version on sports suspension which is quite firm and not great on uneven roads).
I think the problem I had was that I wanted it between Normal and Sport - Normal was a bit bouncy, Sport was a bit rough, but the Passat just did what I wanted.

It's a very personal thing though, and I'm just unlucky that the Superb just didn't seem to do what I wanted. Part of the problem was probably that I've driven Passats for long enough that I basically just want something that drives like a Passat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts