Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used a ride sharing app called Bolt in London last night.

Was amazed to see the car arriving was a 21 plate ID3

The driver had only just got it and I was his 2nd passenger. I was blown away by the amount of rear legroom in such a small car (I'm over 6 feet) and also how I didn't have my knees up to my ears like other EVs due to raised floor. The seat felt very well designed in terms of supporting my back and long legs. It felt roomier than the Mercedes E class that had picked me up earlier in the day (really loved the absence of a transmission tunnel)

The driver had a Mercedes E class diesel before and he was paying £600 a month just in fuel driving people around London, so he only switched to the ID3 in order to cut fuel costs (he estimates he will pay around £150 a month at public chargers until his home charge point gets installed) as income is massively reduced due to fewer passengers during the pandemic. I thought it was an interesting catalyst for shifting cabs from diesel to EV. He is really happy with his ID3 so far (Life model)

As a passenger, the car's handling seemed to be very stable in terms of zipping in and out of traffic and going round bends (certainly compared to the typical Prius that is used by drivers) - Whilst the car didn't feel uncomfortable as a passenger, I was less than impressed with the ride in the back seat, seemed a bit too firm (for my liking) and crashy over a lot of the crappy London streets. I even noticed the driver was often steering to avoid a particular bump in the road, I've seen other drivers do that as well with cars where the suspension is worn or too firm.

The car's performance felt very strong (0-30mph) and the driver really seemed to enjoy the instant torque. I was shocked when he showed me the car had been in Eco mode the entire journey. Normally, I associate Eco mode with seriously blunted performance in a car! I noticed the two USB C charging points in the rear, that was really cool!

Best of all, after dropped me home and I heard him drive off, I loved the spaceship sound coming from the exterior as he accelerated. Felt like I'd just had a ride in the cab of the future :)

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,647 Posts

The driver had only just got it and I was his 2nd passenger. I was blown away by the amount of rear legroom in such a small car (I'm over 6 feet) and also how I didn't have my knees up to my ears like other EVs due to raised floor. The seat felt very well designed in terms of supporting my back and long legs. It felt roomier than the Mercedes E class that had picked me up earlier in the day (really loved the absence of a transmission tunnel)

The driver had a Mercedes E class diesel before and he was paying £600 a month just in fuel driving people around London, so he only switched to the ID3 in order to cut fuel costs (he estimates he will pay around £150 a month at public chargers until his home charge point gets installed) as income is massively reduced due to fewer passengers during the pandemic. I thought it was an interesting catalyst for shifting cabs from diesel to EV. He is really happy with his ID3 so far (Life model)

As a passenger, the car's handling seemed to be very stable in terms of zipping in and out of traffic and going round bends (certainly compared to the typical Prius that is used by drivers) - Whilst the car didn't feel uncomfortable as a passenger, I was less than impressed with the ride in the back seat, seemed a bit too firm (for my liking) and crashy over a lot of the crappy London streets. I even noticed the driver was often steering to avoid a particular bump in the road, I've seen other drivers do that as well with cars where the suspension is worn or too firm.

The car's performance felt very strong (0-30mph) and the driver really seemed to enjoy the instant torque. I was shocked when he showed me the car had been in Eco mode the entire journey. Normally, I associate Eco mode with seriously blunted performance in a car! I noticed the two USB C charging points in the rear, that was really cool!

Best of all, after dropped me home and I heard him drive off, I loved the spaceship sound coming from the exterior as he accelerated. Felt like I'd just had a ride in the cab of the future :)
Yes, but why didn’t you quiz him on the rear drum brakes, the software errors and the lack of rear speakers?! 😂

It’s one of the better qualities of the ID.3 I never get to appreciate, that of the rear leg room.

Important point, did it have the magic tree air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror already?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts
Bet he hates it when a punter gets in and won’t shut up about the fact it’s an EV.

·
Registered
121 Posts

I checked my tyre pressures and found a slight imbalance at rear left 39 versus 37 rear right. Dropped to 37 on both and ride is better. Though if expecting 2-3 passengers a lot I’d have left at 39. So can be a little firm at high pressures.

joys of bigger heavy battery. The 45kwh version might be better and also different wheel/tyre combinations.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked my tyre pressures and found a slight imbalance at rear left 39 versus 37 rear right. Dropped to 37 on both and ride is better. Though if expecting 2-3 passengers a lot I’d have left at 39. So can be a little firm at high pressures.

joys of bigger heavy battery. The 45kwh version might be better and also different wheel/tyre combinations.
@mrsaffron237 Noted. It could have been that the driver hadn't checked his tyre pressures given it was brand new from the dealer. Ride on Audi e-Tron/Jaguar i-pace that I test drove was sublime on the crap streets of London, but that's air suspension, and I doubt something that fancy and expensive would ever be fitted to ID3 cars.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not if it was a Life.

Could be a benefit, though. Would keep the sound level of the drivers choice of music down a bit and away from the passenger.
@TomH I was wondering why the sound of the car's radio seemed to be coming from the front of the car only!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Bet he hates it when a punter gets in and won’t shut up about the fact it’s an EV.
He should be flattered. Could be worse. I remember my cousin Rhea causing mayhem at the Taxi Rank in Hartlepool Town centre about 20 years ago when she refused to get in the car at the front of the rank, she got in the car behind (a Passat) instead and refused to get out "I'm not getting in a %&[email protected] Lada!". :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts