Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's probably already been asked (couldn't find did look honest) but any news if can tow or not? wasted ages going around & round looking on website & google searches ^^

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,561 Posts
It can't tow. It does have a towing hitch behind the rear number plate, but that's strictly for mounting a bike carrier.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,764 Posts
It can't tow. It does have a towing hitch behind the rear number plate, but that's strictly for mounting a bike carrier.
That's right but I do wonder why.
Like every EV there's plenty of torque for pulling and plenty of weight for stability.

I can only think that no manufacturer wants to acknowledge that the range would be halved - just as it is in a small ICE when towing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Whilst there are not any lower than premium cars with a tow bar. It seems manufacturers are missing a trick to be the first to offer towing even for a trailer. People aren't stupid they know the economy of the vehicle will be less and it is their choice. The problem is charging whilst towing. I believe the next iteration of the MG ZS EV may have a towing capacity.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
There is of course a fee payable for a manufacturer to seek type approval for towing. Can't say that I agree with the logic but they may feel that it's not worth paying that for the very small number of BEVs they sell and the even smaller number they'd expect to tow. Not aware that this has been applied to any ICE vehicles.

Charging with a trailer attached might be difficult but it would usually be possible to unhitch and leave trailer in sight of charger.

Of course range would be reduced when towing but that's not unique to BEVs. When pulling a caravan, my Volvo Diesel's'normal' 50+mpg on long trips reduced to around 25.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,764 Posts
Whilst there are not any lower than premium cars with a tow bar. It seems manufacturers are missing a trick to be the first to offer towing even for a trailer. People aren't stupid they know the economy of the vehicle will be less and it is their choice. The problem is charging whilst towing. I believe the next iteration of the MG ZS EV may have a towing capacity.
Charging while towing would certainly be a problem. Refuelling an ICE while towing is not easy either although you would do it less often. Actually never in my case as my ICE had more range than my daily caravan tow so I'd always take the car to the petrol station solo. You would need a huge battery to work that way in a BEV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It would be interesting to know more about the towing hitch. Does it come with all the wiring required for a proper tow hitch, how sturdy is it and so on.

In essence, has VW put a proper hitch on the car but just not gotten it type approved yet?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,764 Posts
It would be interesting to know more about the towing hitch. Does it come with all the wiring required for a proper tow hitch, how sturdy is it and so on.

In essence, has VW put a proper hitch on the car but just not gotten it type approved yet?
Let's hope so.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I read somewhere a while back (but can't remember where) that the tow hitch device will only be suitable for attaching a 2-bike carrier to. It isn't designed for actually towing anything. No doubt things will be clearer when we see detailed specs of the car and accessories. 🙂
This^^^^^

ID.3 can't tow.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,764 Posts
Not really, more like a sure way to damage and throw away £36k asset. And don't forget about insurance.

But please do with your own what you want.
Oh no! You won't catch me invalidating my warranty or risking damage.

Someone will though. And make a video about it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As I recall there is weight limit of the bicycle rack of something like 75kg (don't quote me!). I'd expect very few things would weigh up to that amount which would be towed. So whether you decide to follow or break the rules, the hitch would not be up to towing anything of consequence.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,764 Posts
As I recall there is weight limit of the bicycle rack of something like 75kg (don't quote me!). I'd expect very few things would weigh up to that amount which would be towed. So whether you decide to follow or break the rules, the hitch would not be up to towing anything of consequence.
The nose weight for many caravans is about 75 kg. It is for my one. The rest of the. 1200 kg is carried by the caravan wheels.

Towing limits depend on the relative weight of the car and the caravan (stability) and the manufacturer's declared maximum towed weight (robustness of the vehicle - transmission, brakes etc).

That's for a braked trailer of any sort.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The nose weight for many caravans is about 75 kg. It is for my one. The rest of the. 1200 kg is carried by the caravan wheels.

Towing limits depend on the relative weight of the car and the caravan (stability) and the manufacturer's declared maximum towed weight (robustness of the vehicle - transmission, brakes etc).

That's for a braked trailer of any sort.
Thanks for the clarity. I'm not that familiar with the towing. But in any case, the consumption would increase with any large object behind. On that note I wonder what carrying a couple of bicycles will do to the consumption.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,764 Posts
Consumption certainly does increase when towing a caravan. Not just the drag but more weight to pull up the hills. So 50mpg for my deisel Focus in normal use but 30 mpg when towing.

Your bikes will add both weight and some drag although they will be largely behind the car body. A full load of passengers and luggage (roof box even) will have similar effects.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Apparently if you want to tow you have to get an ID.4, more money. I will get the rear bike rack for the "tow" hook, but worry that it could be difficult at certain changing locations especially where you have to reverse in. I think having the charging port on the front would have been so much better for the ID.3. On the side it is a pain, especially if you are in a tight home garage or something. It is also on the opposite side to the driver, another stupid decision, so if I am in a tight garage I need more room on my side to get out of the car but then I need room on the other side to plug the car into the charger.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts