Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
It is also on the opposite side to the driver, another stupid decision, so if I am in a tight garage I need more room on my side to get out of the car but then I need room on the other side to plug the car into the charger.
Sounds like it will be on the driver's side in the UK and Ireland then!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds like it will be on the driver's side in the UK and Ireland then!
Will probably be on the opposite, because it is my guess if you park on the side of the road they do not want the cable to be the side of the traffic. On the front would have solved all of the issues.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Will probably be on the opposite, because it is my guess if you park on the side of the road they do not want the cable to be the side of the traffic. On the front would have solved all of the issues.
I think that VW for all of their failings would choose to save the money on a completely different pressing for RHD cars, and hence it'll be on the same side in all markets. They certainly do for the Golf fuel filler, and don't get me on to the subject of windscreen wipers. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Audi do that on the big E-Tron but not on the A3 E-Tron. Putting the charge point in the lower front wing makes it easier and cheaper than in the rear 3/4 panel.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Apparently if you want to tow you have to get an ID.4, more money. I will get the rear bike rack for the "tow" hook, but worry that it could be difficult at certain changing locations especially where you have to reverse in. I think having the charging port on the front would have been so much better for the ID.3. On the side it is a pain, especially if you are in a tight home garage or something. It is also on the opposite side to the driver, another stupid decision, so if I am in a tight garage I need more room on my side to get out of the car but then I need room on the other side to plug the car into the charger.
I am unsure whether the VW ID. 3 fitting is a) just the tow hitch - what we would called a swan neck or b) the hitch and a VW-specific bicycle rack. Therefore the extra cost is less.

I hope that it is a) as then I can use my own bicycle rack (within the weight limits). As I also have a VW T5.1 barn door van I have an Atera Strada rack which slides out and down so I can open the rear barn doors. It also clips on and off easily.

I agree that with the rear rack attached, it means that the vehicle is further away from the charging station. But it looks to be fitted higher so that the reversing sensors will not clash with the rack.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am unsure whether the VW ID. 3 fitting is a) just the tow hitch - what we would called a swan neck or b) the hitch and a VW-specific bicycle rack. Therefore the extra cost is less.
Unless they have changed the design since the early builds, there is a picture of the tow hitch in this article:

·
Premium Member
10,919 Posts
It is also on the opposite side to the driver, another stupid decision
I guess you are in LHD country? It is better to put the charging port on the "pavement (sidewalk)" side for safer connection to on street charging. For cars mainly designed for LHD (such as ID3) that makes it the passenger side in LHD countries. That way you are on pavement when connecting it and plug isn't sticking out into traffic - see below. Those cars are not so safe in RHD countries and why front connectors are probably a better idea - I like that location on the Zoe.

vw-id.320-2_0.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not really, more like a sure way to damage and throw away £36k asset. And don't forget about insurance.

But please do with your own what you want.
That’s flawed logic. If the hitch is actually made for towing but not approved for it there is probably a minimal risk of damaging anything if actually using it for what is was made for.

My initial question was however not mainly written with rule breaking in mind, but rather in the context of if a proper towing ID.3 is just at type approval away or if the bike mount is a gadget more or less unrelated to a proper tow hitch.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I guess you are in LHD country? It is better to put the charging port on the "pavement (sidewalk)" side for safer connection to on street charging. For cars mainly designed for LHD (such as ID3) that makes it the passenger side in LHD countries. That way you are on pavement when connecting it and plug isn't sticking out into traffic - see below. Those cars are not so safe in RHD countries and why front connectors are probably a better idea - I like that location on the Zoe.

View attachment 130709
Yes the location on the Zoe is perfect.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yes the location on the Zoe is perfect.
I too prefer the front charge port. It is much easier for me to charge in my parking bay.

But I can also see why VW moved it away from the front grill: Accident damage. Most accidents will damage the port, making repairs expensive and difficult. Also, the slightest damage to the front of the car and the charge port, will make the whole car unusable because you can't charge.

·
Premium Member
10,919 Posts
I too prefer the front charge port. It is much easier for me to charge in my parking bay.

But I can also see why VW moved it away from the front grill: Accident damage. Most accidents will damage the port, making repairs expensive and difficult. Also, the slightest damage to the front of the car and the charge port, will make the whole car unusable because you can't charge.
Yes it is a difficult circle to square. On the Ampera they put the charging port and OBC (on board charger) on different sides of car to reduce repair costs if one side got damaged in a crash from side.

IMO putting charging port where petrol flap is on ICE is a poor place and odd Tesla chose that location, but more people in USA actually park in their garage. In UK we have faf of turning the Model 3 around to charge - I guess we could get a longer cable...

Renault mitigated front location by moving the OBC back a bit, but that increases labour and material costs. The Honda e approach is a weird compromise IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Dave_Tomas How would you know the difference? All I'm going on is what VW have provided...and I would prefer to take their word than put it to the test.
I hope to get to know the answer by asking questions and hoping that someone who knows something or understand the physics better than me picks up the question and tries to answer it beyond what I myself can read in VW marketing material.

It may be wishful thinking to hope for such an answer, but someone usually knows, and with a bit of luck an informed person will be willing to give up a bit of information.

For this is, as you say, the internet. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Someone on FB posted an ID.3 accessories brochure (from Norway I think). The text is in English though. It had pics of the tow bar and bike rack.

View attachment 130704 View attachment 130705
Thanks for those pictures. I looks like there are two accessories the bracket (ie the swan neck) and the bike rack. So it would appear that I could just get the bracket and use my own rack (weight limit noted). I also hope that the bracket is nothing like the Tesla £1000 for a rear towing hitch setup.

Now I wonder about the electrical connection, certainly in the UK, regulations state that the rear number plate must be visible and the rear lights are not obscured. The usual approach is to have the rack with a light bar and number plate. The VW rack accessory would seem to have those, and most other racks also have it. As the rear number plate flips down to reveal the mounting point, the rack must have a number plate. But is there a connector built near the bracket mount point? I would expect this to be either a 7- or 13-pin socket for connection to the rack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unless they have changed the design since the early builds, there is a picture of the tow hitch in this article:
I should have followed this link earlier, as it was actually quite a clarifying read. The picture is quite clear as well, a sturdy mount and a 13 pin socket. I'd say it's a proper tow hitch, just not type approved.

A couple of excerpts from the text (my translation).
The back plate can be flipped down, behind which is a hole for the hitch. Next to that hole is a lighting plug.

Skiltet bak kan flippes ned, og der åpenbarer det seg hull til denne kroken. På siden av dette finner vi en kontakt for lys.
The hook is approved for up to 75 kg. /.../ [a VW engineer said] they would have liked to offer the option of a tow hatch, as the car could easily pull three tonnes. A political choice not to then.

Kroken er godkjent for opptil 75 kg., forteller en litt betuttet ingeniør. Han forteller at de gjerne skulle gitt bilen mulighet for hengerfeste, for bilens konstruksjon kunne lett dratt 3 tonn, forteller han. En politisk avgjørelse her, altså.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts