Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into leasing my first EV.

Currently got a 218d M Sport but family expansion rules out keeping it.

Whittled it down to either the
ID3
ID4 - lease price dependent or the
ENiro 4+

Use for work, travel to clients and mainly motorway miles in the UK.

Only going on a 3 year max lease then I'll swap it for something new.

Mrs wont let me order the Mustang or Tesla due to cost.

What would you go for folks?

*if there is a similar thread I apologise in advance for this one.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
489 Posts
For practicality the ID3 and 4 are almost identical in terms of cabin space from what I've seen the Niro from memory is a little shorter but there's not much in it. The boot in the ID3 is typical hatchback sized pretty generous but not massive, The Niro is a little bigger but not huge the ID4 is bigger still a pretty good for a car its size. Range follows a similar pattern I think but the Niro rapid chargers slower than the VWs.

Personally I'd take (and I did) the ID3 over the Niro but if I could have got a ID4 for a similar price as I paid for the 3 then I'd have had some thinking to do, probably would have gone for the 3 though as I'm not too keen on SUV style cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm currently in a similar quandary. 1st EV. Almost certainly going to lease and similar candidates to yourself. I think I'll end up going for the Skoda Enyaq through my workplace salary sacrifice lease (non-NHS).

Now, which of the hundred and one trims will I choose?!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are my options from a price point of view

The question is do I wait 2 weeks for the ID4 pricing to come out or just go for the ID3. Have it over 24 months and then order something new again in 2 years when there will be even more choice.

That price includes everything I need (insurance, maintenance etc.) the only requirement from me will be to keep it charged up.

Car24 months 36 months EV Range
Volkswagen ID.3 5 Door 204PS Life Pro Performance Auto
£377.37​
£338.56​
263​
Volkswagen ID.3 5 Door 204PS Tourer Pro S Performance Auto
£509.78​
£442.78​
336​
Kia e-NIRO 64KWH EV 201bhp 3 Auto
£437.93​
£391.74​
282​
Kia e-NIRO 64KWH EV 201bhp 4+ Auto
£456.51​
£408.01​
282​

·
Registered
889 Posts
For me (biased because I have a Kia) The Niro 4+.

Excellent equipment
Well proven (loads of reliability issues ID3 at the moment)
Achieves over 100% of claimed range in summer (I’ve had 312m out of one charge last year) where’s the ID seems to only manage about 80% of claimed range
Range not hit too bad in winter - still getting 240 in the worst of the cold, 260 rest of the time.
To my mind (I realise this is subjective) a nicer interior - I didn’t like the really basic interior of the ID3 - there’s “minimalist” and there is “poverty spec” and it looked the second to me....
7 year warranty and a 67KWh battery that you can only use 64KWh of so a bit kept back to protect the battery.
Stunning residuals - first edition e-Niro’s still fetching £28,000 + used

The E-Niro Just does what it says on the tin.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The simple answer is to tell the OH to **** off and get a Tesla, afterall it'll be you flogging yourself up and down the motorways who (a) has to pay for it (b) needs to be happy when at their work. We'd all love a Model X, but the reality is that a Model 3 will suffice. There have been some good deals on Tesla M3 long range recently.

If the last 12 months have taught me anything it's to not look too far ahead.
Life's short, live a little, get a Tesla.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
874 Posts
Out of those I’d go for the one I liked the look and feel of most. For me it would be the ID3, because I think the Niro looks frumpy and odd and the ID4 is an ID3 for people who think it’s cool to drive a less efficient, slower, poorer handling truck shaped car because everyone else does.

But when it came down to it, I went with the Tesla (which also looks a bit strange if I’m honest)

·
Registered
771 Posts
In that case Swagman I'd order the Mustang, much prefer the look.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

However, if you are up and down the motorways a lot and want to drive your EV like an ICE car then having access to Tesla's supercharger nework is a game-changer. Otherwise to benefit from the other manufacturers cars you'll be driving at 60mph allthe time.

The Mustang like all the EV's being rolled out by the legacy manufacturers is 10 years behind Tesla on development.
BTW, I drive a Jaguar I-Pace, so not a Tesla fanboy, but they outsell everyone for a reason.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
489 Posts
I wouldn't get the ID3 Tour personally as by the time you get to paying that much as Swagman says just get a Tesla! There are a few lease prices out for the ID4 now it looks to be from as little as £30-50 a month more than the ID3 but these things can vary on a daily basis so it's hard to say for sure, it's certainly a lot of ID for your money!

Might be worth checking the prices for a higher spec ID3 such as the Business model some of the lease companies have special offers on those at the moment so you can actually end up paying less for a higher spec!

Going back to range for a minute don't know how much you'll need but having spent ages researching this I'd work on a rough rule of thumb that in the depths of winter in bad weather (rain and well below freezing) you might get as low as 50-55% of the WLTP figures at 70 on a motorway and expect even less if above 70, summer should be around 70-75%, this seems to hold true for every car some like Tesla being slightly better than others.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

However, if you are up and down the motorways a lot and want to drive your EV like an ICE car then having access to Tesla's supercharger nework is a game-changer. Otherwise to benefit from the other manufacturers cars you'll be driving at 60mph allthe time.

The Mustang like all the EV's being rolled out by the legacy manufacturers is 10 years behind Tesla on development.
BTW, I drive a Jaguar I-Pace, so not a Tesla fanboy, but they outsell everyone for a reason.
Tesla outsell the others because few see past them and think they are the only ev makers.

They are a great battery wrapped in an OK car.

The Mustang is a better car imho. Hatch is massively more practical than boot on the Model 3 (Model Y will be better), which although large has a small opening.

Range of Mustang makes public charging a non-issue, you will rarely do it, and the network is fine now.

Build quality of Tesla is dreadful, paint falling off and so on.

E-Niro is the best of your list but if you can Swing a Mustang, get that.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Tesla outsell the others because few see past them and think they are the only ev makers.

They are a great battery wrapped in an OK car.

The Mustang is a better car imho. Hatch is massively more practical than boot on the Model 3 (Model Y will be better), which although large has a small opening.

Range of Mustang makes public charging a non-issue, you will rarely do it, and the network is fine now.

Build quality of Tesla is dreadful, paint falling off and so on.

E-Niro is the best of your list but if you can Swing a Mustang, get that.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Depending whereabouts in the UK you are the network of rapid chargers are crap. Only Tesla guarantee a network covering all the major routes on the motorway system.
As for the range and reliability of the Mustang Mach E, there is absolutely nothing to guarantee that it is on a par with Tesla. It's a brand new vehicle which will have it's own issues going forward whereas Tesla is far more proven. Yes, Tesla has quality issues, it happens as you scale up production, but imho I'd put my faith in Tesla far more than Ford. The fact that one is a hatchback while the other has a boot was never the question, so has little relevance.
I've driven over 35,000 miles throughout the pandemic in a Jaguar I-Pace and BMW X5 hybrid and have used the BMW far more than the I-Pace due to the poor quality of the charging network.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
652 Posts
Range follows a similar pattern I think but the Niro rapid chargers slower than the VWs.
Not really. Bjorn did a comparative video and even though the ID3 is a little faster to get to 80%, you need to take into account that its battery is 10% smaller than the Niro's, and it is a bit less efficient. In terms of added km/minute, the Niro is as fast or even faster.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
489 Posts
Not really. Bjorn did a comparative video and even though the ID3 is a little faster to get to 80%, you need to take into account that its battery is 10% smaller than the Niro's, and it is a bit less efficient. In terms of added km/minute, the Niro is as fast or even faster.

If you're meaning this video he actually says the opposite the ID3 charges quicker both in % terms and in mph added terms than the 64 kWh Korean cars, this is also shown in the 1000km challenge test as the ID3 was quicker than the Kona and EV database also shows that the ID3 charges quicker than the Niro

·
Registered
889 Posts
You pays your money and takes your choice.

The rapid chargers I’ve used (once in a year on a trip to Scotland, never needed to rapid charge otherwise) worked perfectly, giving me a 20-80% charge in about 30 - 40 min.

The E-Niro 4+ is very very well equipped - but I suspect the deal will be sealed on the interior.
I think the interior of the Tesla and ID3 look horribly basic, and cheap because there are no buttons. I hate not having proper heater controls.

I like a button to put my heated seat on and so forth rather than hunting through loads of menus on a touchscreen. These screens have their place, but not for most controls - I can set my cruise control, the speed, the distance to the car in front and re-tune the stereo all from the steering wheel buttons on the Soul/Niro, with each function having a button well placed to do it.

On the Tesla you have to be in the right menu for the buttons to do what you want them to. Far too complex when driving imho.

Some love the “simplicity” I think it looks like cost cutting and makes it look cheap - but it’s down to personal preference, as will the Model 3 vs the Mustang - I’d get the Mustang, others won’t.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I guess, but on the major routes there are so many now, provided you have a decent range (200+ miles) then you can get a charge easily, I've used a lot of 7.2KW chargers and they are plentiful and reasonably priced.

If 0i rocked up at one and it didn't work I'd just go on to the next one - as I say in a year of using public chargers I've not had 1 problem with a charger that I couldn't sort by using another post, or on one occasion using another nearby site.
I get the Tesla SC are good - that couldn't outweigh the boot and interior for me - and although the Y solves the boot thing, the interior is still disappointing.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
652 Posts

If you're meaning this video he actually says the opposite the ID3 charges quicker both in % terms and in mph added terms than the 64 kWh Korean cars, this is also shown in the 1000km challenge test as the ID3 was quicker than the Kona and EV database also shows that the ID3 charges quicker than the Niro
Well, the Soul is a bit less efficient than the Niro. Furthermore, in the Carwow test the ID3 comes up about 20% short of its WLTP range and the e-Niro is only 10% under its claimed range. So that makes me think that in real life the e-Niro is just as fast. Admittedly, differences are slim but I firmly believe that that the statement 'the ID3 charges faster' does not show in real life.

BUT: I did a test in a better route planner where for the same trip an ID3 would be 15 minutes faster over am 829 km trip. So yes, according to ABRP the ID3 has an edge over the e-Niro. It comes down to 3 minutes extra per charging stop. I may stand corrected in an absolute sense although for me personally the difference would not be an argument.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
489 Posts
To be honest unless the cars are tested under the exact same conditions it's hard to know for sure, I think we need to have a race 😆

Someone has just posted a link in the cheap deals thread to a Life for 3 years from £256 a month, job done! That's so cheap it almost makes me mad I bought mine 😂

·
Registered
889 Posts
Only job done if you want the ID.

Is it just me or are the silly discounts appearing on the ID awfully soon?

I still can’t get a discount on the Niro 4 from anyone (not a decent one anyhow) - that says to me better sales (3 month waiting list) and stronger residuals. I’ve always avoided heavily discounted cars in the past.

Agreed that if leasing, resale is irrelevant.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts