Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else moved (or considering moving) from an i3 to the ID3?

I'm thinking of switching my i3 (94ah REx) to a 77kWh Tour 5 model.

My test drive isn't til next week so until then I figured I'd annoy everyone here and on Facebook with incessant questions...

I've read a few reviews and opinions suggesting that the ID3 interior is a bit cheap and plastic compared to the i3.

Also that it's noticablely slower than the BMW.

Any thoughts from other BMW - VW converts?

·
Registered
142 Posts
In what way slower? The i3 is lighter so will probably feel more nimble. Real world tests show the id3 and i3s to be very close in acceleration,

The tour is slower than the lower range id3 due to weight, but a non s rex is slower than an i3s?
I won’t speculate as I haven’t driven an i3 but will say that feelings of speed are very subjective, especially in near silent cars!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have an i3 (2017) but not a Rex. I have an iD3 ordered nearly 9 months ago for no financial committment. I have yet to have a test drive.
Its good to read that after 2.1 update that most problems have gone. One thing I read about was the wipers being still for a left hand drive on a right hand drive car.
I am not sure how to proceed. I might have the test drive out of curiosity.......

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,836 Posts
One thing I read about was the wipers being still for a left hand drive on a right hand drive car.
I’ve read this too, but after nearly 6 months and 11k miles driving one, I can confirm it’s a non-issue. I drove through torrential rain across the Pennine’s on Tuesday evening, they did what wipers are supposed to do.

The LHD wipers on a RHD car thing really is letting the perfect be the enemy of the good in my opinion.

As they wipe from the bottom of the screen out to each side of the screen, they still clear the view fully.

I had a Peugeot 206 once where there was a horrible linkage solution to the problem that still left a huge part of the top corner of the screen uncleared in front of the driver.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
2,863 Posts
I changed from a BMW 2017 i3 REX to a VW Tour.

I waited a while before doing a comparison, your post got me thinking.

Let's get the negative out of the way first about the id3, it's the negative I already knew about so I wasn't disappointed, and that was the interior not being as good as the i3.

The rest is positive. Where do I start?

The ACC.

Normal four doors, easier getting out of the back seats.

A fatter steering wheel, much more comfortable to hold, and heated, that is good for me in winter for my bad circulation problem.

The LED lights with automatic high beam, and corner adjustment.

Larger boot.

There are so many safety features to mention them all.

My insurance was about a £100 pound cheaper from the same insurer.

The ride over rough ground not so harsh.

I am happier having wider tyres.

Faster charging available 125kw. If only I could find a faster charger in my town, but where they are available you can charge faster.

The Rex on the i3 was always a concern for me. Cost if it went wrong. And it is nice having a pure EV. With a long range.

I can't think of any more.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I changed from a BMW 2017 i3 REX to a VW Tour.

I waited a while before doing a comparison, your post got me thinking.

Let's get the negative out of the way first about the id3, it's the negative I already knew about so I wasn't disappointed, and that was the interior not being as good as the i3.

The rest is positive. Where do I start?

The ACC.

Normal four doors, easier getting out of the back seats.

A fatter steering wheel, much more comfortable to hold, and heated, that is good for me in winter for my bad circulation problem.

The LED lights with automatic high beam, and corner adjustment.

Larger boot.

There are so many safety features to mention them all.

My insurance was about a £100 pound cheaper from the same insurer.

The ride over rough ground not so harsh.

I am happier having wider tyres.

Faster charging available 125kw. If only I could find a faster charger in my town, but where they are available you can charge faster.

The Rex on the i3 was always a concern for me. Cost if it went wrong. And it is nice having a pure EV. With a long range.

I can't think of any more.
Perfect, you're in the exact same boat @M C Williams

I can live with a cheaper looking interior, so long as its not Kona-bad lol. Second gen is maybe a bit better but the 1st edition Kona was horrible.

I too like the fatter wheel, and the heated wheel will delight my wife.

Downside for me is that (not sure it's the same in the UK) the choices for the 77kWh car are the Tour or the Tour 5.

I prefer the Tour 5 as I think the 5 seater will hold its value better. Also it has the Area View which again, the wife will love. She was gutted to lose it from the Leaf to the i3. But the Tour 5 doesn't have the HUD and that was my favourite feature.

My main reason to change is the same as yours. An out of warranty EV is a worry. An out of warranty EV with the REx is worse.

My reverse camera packed in last year. Managed to get BMW to cover the cost of the part but had to shell out a few hundred for labour. Now my window motor has given up the ghost and that'll probably be twice as costly to resolve.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
182 Posts
We went from i3 to ???? and ended up on ID3 Tour

I3 was:
  • Best all round car I've ever had
  • Beautiful interior, and practical interior
  • Comfortable
  • Good if you're tall
  • Fast, good size for driving around lanes etc
  • Spacious but not actually that practical especially with the small boot
  • Very efficient and easy to drive efficiently
  • Fun doors, but confused everyone who got in it, and never worked in supermarket car parks!
  • Just all around a great car that felt quality
ID3:
  • Loads of boot space, loads of interior space
  • Far better range
  • Good doors!
  • Not as interesting interior materials wise BUT keeps some of the fun 'conceptual' side of the I3
  • Really 'planted', much less bumpy and spritely, which long run, I prefer
I did feel though, I had to go to the top of the spec range with the Tour to get something that "felt" as good as the i3. The i3 is a seriously luxurious car for what is just a little hatchback, so the ID3 had to make up for it in features.

I still think that overall, the ID3 is the choice people should make if they want a more PRACTICAL car - it just is full on the "people's" hatchback by design. But the i3 is the more fun car, without a doubt.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
182 Posts
We live rurally with terrible roads and I can say driving the ID.3 was a very welcome change to the i3, no matter how much I loved it. I like that it is smooth, but hatchback 'planted' - Golf-like - not "SUV" smooth. I drove the E Niro and hated the way it felt like other SUVs with that lack of connection to the ground.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I can live with a cheaper looking interior,
Does it look cheaper? From what I've seen of the i3, it looks a bit dated now in comparison to the ID.3 (though, the ID.3 has borrowed a lot of design ideas from it).

This 'interior quality' thing comes up time and time again on this form. We should really pin a thread about it at the top one day. My view is that it is massively overblown by YouTube reviewers tapping at panels randomly in order to find something to say to fill up their videos.

The interior of the ID.3 in my view looks cool, interesting, minimalist and modern. Everything is well screwed together and solid. There is a far greater feeling of space than there is in any car I've ever sat in of the same class. That's partly because there is a lot of space, but also partly because the design is open, minimalist, and flows well.

But yes, there are some scratchy plastics in places you don't touch anyway. They don't 'look' scratchy though. Anyone posting about this really needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and ask whether they really care that plastics they'll never touch would feel scratchy if they ever did touch them (which they won't), or whether they're just repeating something from YouTube without really thinking through whether they really do care.

Also worth saying, the ID.3 is really cheap to buy! There isn't much else that has the range of the ID.3 for the same price (62kWh Leaf, honourable mention). How should VW have hit that price point? Reducing the battery size or not blowing a load of money on soft touch materials in places you don't touch? I know which would get my vote.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
2,863 Posts
For those who do not like people discussing the interior difference between the VW id3 and the BMW i3, here is the interior of the BMW i3 even from 7 years ago.

I am not complaining it is just a comparison between the two cars.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,836 Posts
For those who do not like people discussing the interior difference between the VW id3 and the BMW i3, here is the interior of the BMW i3 even from 7 years ago.

I am not complaining it is just a comparison between the two cars.
I had the loft interior, I thinking was that anyway, with the dark brown ‘leather’ seats and the bamboo dash top. With the big screen it looked a nice place to be, and I liked the flat floor between driver and passenger.

My particular example creaked like a Spanish galleon though, so although it looked the business it didn’t feel a particularly quality interior.

Strangely, it’s a car I’d have again though, even though there were things I disliked about it. I even liked the rear doors, albeit with just me in it, but the handling did fall apart on poorly surfaced roads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've just gone from a 5 year old i3 94ah REx (my first EV) to a Family ID3, and don't regret it at all.

In terms of driving, when I first picked it up, i did wonder if it did feel slightly slower compared to the i3 off the mark, but when I put the ID3 in to Sport mode, I think that feeling has now gone. It defintely feels a more solid car, and the fatter steering wheel helps with that, but also the general feel you get. Overall, I much prefer driving the ID3.

My i3 was reasonably low specced, so no ACC, reverse camera, sunroof, fancy lights etc. and going up to the Family Spec was a big step up, and the ID3 does feel a lot more car as a result, but perhaps not a completely fair comparison. The i3 was great, but didn't give me the same grin that I had the first time i drove the ID3 home from the dealer.

In terms of interior quality, I really dont see/care about that much of a difference in interior quality. I think if anything I was slightly underwhelmed by the i3, but that's possibly because of all the hype, and again because it was low spec. The ID3 still feels quality, but wouldn't describe it as luxuxry, but then I wasn't expecting luxury so all good from my point of view. Family and friends that have seen the inside of the ID3 have remarked on how "futuristic" and "fancy" it looks. Like a few have said above, just ignore all of the youtube reviewers who pick up on the same things over and over again that don't really mean anything in the day to dar driving of it.

There are a few things I prefer about the i3 having said that. The steering wheel buttons are a bit of a pain, i have accidently changed song instead of upping the volume (I swear they've put those buttons the wrong way round logically), and also brushed it accidentally a few times. I did like the little wheel in the i3 that meant you could cycle through songs before pressing in to actually change to that song. Also, not having any physical buttons on the infotainment system does take a bit of getting used to after the i3, but it's not that big of a deal.

I think one of the main things that convinved me to move on from the i3 was the REX. I never used it, and seeing it come on every couple of months for its maintenance cycle just felt so dirty. That, and the extra £100-200 it cost during servicing. I've got more range in the ID3 than with the i3 even with the REX, so couldn't really think of a reason not too. I think also the exterior looks of the i3 never really grew on me in the way that i'd hoped they would.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The base model BMW i3 costs roughly £6,000 more than the base model VW ID.3. That base model ID.3 has a bigger battery and greater driving range... better cabin space too.

For anyone worried about the opinions of YouTube reviewers tapping on panels, if VW offered a 'soft touch plastics pack' for £6,000 that upgraded all the interior plastics in places you don't touch in the ID.3 with new softer touch versions of the same panels, would you pay for it?

And because I know I've opened myself up for some pedantry here... I am comparing base prices listed on the BMW and VW websites. I've not bothered to compare discounts on carwow, check average lease payments, etc. etc. Perhaps the price difference you'd actually pay is less, I don't know. But if so, I would counter by saying that the i3 is a much older model and it is normal for discounts to be higher once cars are a bit longer in the tooth. You pay a premium to have 'the latest thing'. But my point remains that before discounts at least, the BMW is more of a premium price than the VW, especially considering its driving range is less.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The steering wheel buttons are a bit of a pain, i have accidently changed song instead of upping the volume (I swear they've put those buttons the wrong way round logically), and also brushed it accidentally a few times.
Have you noticed that in the infotainment screen the station list for the radio are arranged vertically and the buttons on the steering wheel then move up and down the list in the direction indicated by the button arrows. Go to favourites and the icons are arranged horizontally and up down arrows make no sense. Has anyone worked out a way or ordering the icons to your liking?

On the Zoe map page it has a small box at the top that displays what radio station you're listening to. I wish the ID.3 had something similar. The Zoe also put navigation directions on the home screen map, so distance to the next turn and direction, plus distance to and time to destination, again missing on the ID.3.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts