Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just waiting for my 1st Edition to arrive but have a question about lane keep assist. I'm coming from an XC90 with Autopilot which did a very good job of lane keeping. I was unable to test drive a VW with the lane assist so the question I have please, is the LKA basically semi autonomous or does it just wait for you to cross the white lines and then correct itself with a beep. Obviously if it's the later then not a very relaxing experience on long journeys.

Anyone, particularly in the UK, have any input on this please?

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts
Hi, just waiting for my 1st Edition to arrive but have a question about lane keep assist. I'm coming from an XC90 with Autopilot which did a very good job of lane keeping. I was unable to test drive a VW with the lane assist so the question I have please, is the LKA basically semi autonomous or does it just wait for you to cross the white lines and then correct itself with a beep. Obviously if it's the later then not a very relaxing experience on long journeys.

Anyone, particularly in the UK, have any input on this please?
Assuming it's the same as the ID.3 LKA, then you will now get a range of responses from "it's lethal and will try and kill you and other road users - I am going to reject my car as it's dangerous and demand compensation for it scaring me", to "it's a vital / legally required safety feature that could save your life, stop bitching and moaning".

Based on my ID.3 experience - it's vaguely annoying on occasions, but barely noticeable most of the time, unless you're really not paying attention and it's trying to help you, and can be turned off with little hassle. It's not in any sense "autonomous", but then neither is any LKA - some are just better / more cleverly implemented than others.

Could it be better? Yes
Is it worth affecting your decision about whether you like / keep the car? Probably not (and definitely not for me), but there's no accounting for personal preferences.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh dear, thanks for the reply firstly. So all I really need it to do is keep in the centre of the lane (appreciated this won't happen 100%) whilst on a motorway. Assuming it's straight roads and gentle bends, does it do a good job of keeping it central or is it more of a 'go outside the lane and I'll make a loud noise and correct the steering' system?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have an id3, and a base one at that so don’t have the fancy travel assist stuff. The basic lane keeping has a couple of different levels of input. It will first beep and throw a message on the screen to stay in the centre of the lane. It will wiggle the wheel a bit too. If you go a bit further out the lane then it steers into the lane for you to correct. It won’t actively follow the lane for you, with no input from the driver it sort of pinballs from one side of the lane to the other like bowling with the kiddy bumpers up. For motorways and a roads it’s fine. Obviously it gets spooked by odd line markings sometimes and it did one time start steering in to a runner but it’s very easy to steer through it and correct.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So with the XC90 on the motorway, if I was happy to stay in lane I hardly ever had to adjust the steering, other than wiggle it to show I was alive. Are we saying the LKA (not the Travel Assist) isn't capable of doing that? It will make annoying noises (and therefore ruin and comfort gain from not steering) and I'll be bouncing between white lines and other road users will think I'm drunk?

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
189 Posts
OK so this video shows the difference...

Lane assist basically notifies you as you leave the lane (LKA)... I've turned off vibrate so basically it is just a visual indicator for me, ive not noticed it do anything with the steering. The video shows it doesnt controll the steering.

Travel assist does steer the car and keep it in the lane (LFA)

Quote from elsewhere... LKA is a basically a warning system and is only activated when you cross a lane line while LFA is an assistance function that is only active during smart cruise operation.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts
So with the XC90 on the motorway, if I was happy to stay in lane I hardly ever had to adjust the steering, other than wiggle it to show I was alive. Are we saying the LKA (not the Travel Assist) isn't capable of doing that? It will make annoying noises (and therefore ruin and comfort gain from not steering) and I'll be bouncing between white lines and other road users will think I'm drunk?
That's not what it is, or what it's for, or what VW advertise it as.
LKA is a safety, last-resort feature.
If you want to drive along the motorway, "hands-free", you'll need the Travel Assist.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you want to drive along the motorway, hands-free, you'll need the Travel Assist.
Hands free... not recommended! you need to be in control of the car all the time.
And if you keep your hands off the wheel for any time it will alert you and if you ignore the alert it will bring you to a stop. (with hazards going etc)

Now here is the point... the reason people think they want autopilot or travel assist is because they can switch off and let the car do the work... NOOOOOOO... you still have to control the car and drive it yourself. Autopilot is a bad name because it implies you dont need to think... Travel assist is a better name because it is there to help you drive more safely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
or you could actually drive your car like 99% of the other road users and keep it pointing in the right direction.
Helpful thanks, I must be the only idiot wanting a car to keep it centred in the lane on a motorway, not sure how the car manufacturers are planning to post a profit with the millions they are investing in this technology if 99% of car buyers are in the wrong... But no, I'm sure your opinion is the correct one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hands free... not recommended! you need to be in control of the car all the time.
And if you keep your hands off the wheel for any time it will alert you and if you ignore the alert it will bring you to a stop. (with hazards going etc)

Now here is the point... the reason people think they want autopilot or travel assist is because they can switch off and let the car do the work... NOOOOOOO... you still have to control the car and drive it yourself. Autopilot is a bad name because it implies you dont need to think... Travel assist is a better name because it is there to help you drive more safely.
And in addition to this you know what we're thinking and planning! Your talents are clearly wasted online my friend, I simply cannot allow you to waste your time with us, go forth child and save the world from itself!!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,652 Posts
The basic VW Lane Assist is designed to mitigate a moments inattention and possibly save you from leaving the road or having an offset head-on collision.

Travel Assist is what you need if you want the car to be more proactive and keep you in the centre of the lane, as well as have additional features like bringing the car safely to a stop should there be no response from the driver.

Both have their place on a car, but as others have said, even the latter doesn’t replace steering tasks entirely which is quite right if you think about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The basic VW Lane Assist is designed to mitigate a moments inattention and possibly save you from leaving the road or having an offset head-on collision.

Travel Assist is what you need if you want the car to be more proactive and keep you in the centre of the lane, as well as have additional features like bringing the car safely to a stop should there be no response from the driver.

Both have their place on a car, but as others have said, even the latter doesn’t replace steering tasks entirely which is quite right if you think about it.
Thanks for the reply. Scratching my head really, in no way do I think this replaces the wheel, I've driven many miles with Volvo Pilot Assist, it's hardly new technology. One dealer said it keeps it lane centred, another one said Travel Assist is just a link button for ACC & LKA and not its own technology in its own right, more a link system for the two. Can't even find a ID4 with LKA to test drive, very annoying may just cancel the car for the moment.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Helpful thanks, I must be the only idiot wanting a car to keep it centred in the lane on a motorway, not sure how the car manufacturers are planning to post a profit with the millions they are investing in this technology if 99% of car buyers are in the wrong... But no, I'm sure your opinion is the correct one.
the car has been around for over 100 years and peole have been able to keep it in the centre of a lane without the need of an autonomous system.
Just saying!

·
Registered
189 Posts
And in addition to this you know what we're thinking and planning! Your talents are clearly wasted online my friend, I simply cannot allow you to waste your time with us, go forth child and save the world from itself!!
you said it yourself...

It will make annoying noises (and therefore ruin and comfort gain from not steering) and I'll be bouncing between white lines and other road users will think I'm drunk?
You dont want to steer and then the car will bounce between the lines... it you're not driving the car and letting the car do the work.

·
Premium Member
6,652 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Scratching my head really, in no way do I think this replaces the wheel, I've driven many miles with Volvo Pilot Assist, it's hardly new technology. One dealer said it keeps it lane centred, another one said Travel Assist is just a link button for ACC & LKA and not its own technology in its own right, more a link system for the two. Can't even find a ID4 with LKA to test drive, very annoying may just cancel the car for the moment.
They’re kind of right when they say Travel Assist links ACC and Lane Assist, but obviously the combined functionality is better than one alone. The video that @Tigga linked to shows the practical difference.

I took these pics from my ID manual that may help, my paper manual was taken away when they updated the car to 2.1 software.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the car has been around for over 100 years and peole have been able to keep it in the centre of a lane without the need of an autonomous system.
Just saying!
Amazing input again, and from someone with an Electric car, just boggles the mind... People have been speaking English since the 5th century without needing a device to speak to each other. People have been able to speak long distance since Bell invented the phone in the late 19th century. People were able to send letters to each other prior to emails in the 1980's.

The points you raise are well thought out and in no way retard the conversation, despite what others may think. Please send me a letter or walk over to where I currently am to discuss further.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They’re kind of right when they say Travel Assist links ACC and Lane Assist, but obviously the combined functionality is better than one alone. The video that @Tigga linked to shows the practical difference.

I took these pics from my ID manual that may help, my paper manual was taken away when they updated the car to 2.1 software.

View attachment 144583
View attachment 144584
View attachment 144585
Thank you, very helpful information and a big thanks for taking the time to take the pictures. Very polite (y)

·
Premium Member
6,652 Posts
Thank you, very helpful information and a big thanks for taking the time to take the pictures. Very polite (y)
No problem. I took the pics previously when it was being discussed, they removed the manual from the car when it went in for its software update, just mentioned it as means I can’t take any more unfortunately, there might have been a bit more information.

The electronic manual in the car is good, as are the online VW versions, but you need a reg number or VIN to access the latter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

So that to me, which is a ID4 1st Edition is doing what the Volvo Pilot Assist does...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts