Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ID4 First Edition which I obtained as a demonstrator in late June (build date April 2021).
I first noticed very wet carpet in the driver's foot-well late last week when I removed the protective mats to clean them. Tried to dry carpets out but wetness kept coming back. Also kept getting condensation on lower front screen some mornings; this was observed soon after owning the car.
Has anyone else found any leak problems?
I took the car into the garage this morning and they peeled back part of the carpets and found extensive water throughout the car. So this is not a bottle of water spillage. The whole internal lower trim and carpets need to come out, and carpets replaced. At this stage there is no diagnosis of what caused the leak. Car will be off the road for at least a week.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,742 Posts
Could be the A/C drain hose that’s come off, if it’s warm weather.

If it happens after lots of rain, probably the front screen or drain holes in the scuttles are blocked.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,778 Posts
Silly question, but you haven't driven through deep water?

Otherwise, even a small leak through one of the door seals can add up over time, especially if the car is always outside.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My bet is either:-

Drains blocked (as previously mentioned)
Bulkhead not sealed properly
Windscreen

·
Registered
Renault Zoe
47 Posts
Hi Robby, my only advise from dealing with water leaks and finding them is they are very tricky and take a lot of patience. What I would do is remove as many trims as possible around the area pull back the carpet and expose the area.
it’s either coming off the Airconditioning system or through the windscreen/door seal. Once you have exposed the area use a watering can and pour it around the area with someone watching inside.

we are based in Newcastle upon Tyne if you need further help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just had an update from the dealer and the A/C wasn't installed correctly at the factory; it is connected to A/C drain issues identified above (thanks for the suggestions). So, the car must have had water collecting over the last 6 months (build date was February; registered in April), although mostly over the summer months.

This may just be a one off, as appreantly no indications of similar issues as far as the dealer knows.

Waiting for new carpets and various trim to arrive so they can be installed next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had an update from the dealer and the A/C wasn't installed correctly at the factory; it is connected to A/C drain issues identified above (thanks for the suggestions). So, the car must have had water collecting over the last 6 months (build date was February; registered in April), although mostly over the summer months.

This may just be a one off, as appreantly no indications of similar issues as far as the dealer knows.

Waiting for new carpets and various trim to arrive so they can be installed next week.
Hi I have just discovered wet carpets in my ID4 in the drivers floor. Had the car since May.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found out more about my car yesterday. The A/C runoff pipe push-fits into and through the floor under the dashboard at the top of the driver's foot-well. I've seen a video of my car stripped out showing this and also tell-tail watermark from where the pipe connects into the floor, although the remainder of the floor is remarkably clean and corrosion free. The dealer has done a great job in cleaning it all up, so far. I hope it doesn't happen again. Its a massive repair job. As the plastic pipe is only a push fit into the floor, then I'm not certain what prevents it from becoming dislodged, so it possibly has the potential of being a common issue.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If my car had a leak that bad over that amount of time I would be asking for my money back. Your asking for all kind of electrical problems down the line. Just my opinion 👍

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,742 Posts
I found out more about my car yesterday. The A/C runoff pipe push-fits into and through the floor under the dashboard at the top of the driver's foot-well. I've seen a video of my car stripped out showing this and also tell-tail watermark from where the pipe connects into the floor, although the remainder of the floor is remarkably clean and corrosion free. The dealer has done a great job in cleaning it all up, so far. I hope it doesn't happen again. Its a massive repair job. As the plastic pipe is only a push fit into the floor, then I'm not certain what prevents it from becoming dislodged, so it possibly has the potential of being a common issue.
I had the same issue on one of my Zoes.

Because the car was driven by the previous owner with the AC off most of the time the issue was hidden. I only noticed because I used the AC a lot during the summer.

The amount of water produced by this drain is staggering and the footwells were sloshing with water.

The good news is the water is very pure, so you don’t get a lot of corrosion. It took ages to dry out the acoustic foam however.

The Zoe drain pipe was also push fit. So long as no-one knocks it I’m sure it just stays there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank very helpful information I will be off to the dealer in the morning.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are you able to capture still images from the video to show the path/routing of the A/c pipes and post them here, so we are aware of its location please?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still images from the video, as requested. Image quality not great as there was a lot of panning around on the two images showing more of the stripped out internals.
Reptile Snake Scaled reptile Gas Tail
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Rim
Building Motor vehicle Office equipment Metal Machine

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,373 Posts
Sounds to me that a small bead of silicone sealant covering the hose to metal, after the hose is pushed through, would solve this problem at assembly stage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man8, yes the A/C condensation pipe routing is from inside the dash down to the top-left of the driver's foot-well. I don't know how it is protected (from left feet or anything else); that occurred to me too and I asked that question but no response yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man8, yes the A/C condensation pipe routing is from inside the dash down to the top-left of the driver's foot-well. I don't know how it is protected (from left feet or anything else); that occurred to me too and I asked that question but no response yet.
I assume any hard pressure from the left foot might cause the pipe to crush or get dislodged.
Poor design choice, strange VW designed it this way!?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had a reply from the dealer today regarding possibility of future repeat issues. There is a polyurethane protector for the pipe and so it should not get accidentally knocked out of position or crushed. Plus apparently the tube is a very tight fit into the hole in the floor, which is why they concluded that it had not been installed correctly.

Car is now ready, so although it has been off the road for 8 eight days in total, the dealer provided a rental car (non-EV).

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,778 Posts
Is this just a RHD issue then? If so, this is another area where the design decisions for the RHD ID.3 and ID.4 have boon poor; such as the fuse box and wipers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts