Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Leaf lover
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do we love our cars, not just EVs , but all cars?
Because we like our independence.
So anything that enhances that independence more so for an ev than for an ordinary car will I’m sure be a big plus for their greater adoption.
I would like to be able to drive through the Channel Tunnel in my lovely blue Leaf.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Why do we love our cars, not just EVs , but all cars?
Because we like our independence.
So anything that enhances that independence more so for an ev than for an ordinary car will I’m sure be a big plus for their greater adoption.
I would like to be able to drive through the Channel Tunnel in my lovely blue Leaf.
Unfortunately the reason you can't drive through the channel tunnel is not because of emissions, but because of rabies. The theory is that all trains going through the tunnel are (relatively) sealed and so no litter can get thrown out in the tunnel meaning that there would be nothing for rats etc, to live on, meaning you have a sterile 22 mile long tube so they will not cross.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have heard that before, also the tunnels were never designed for cars, no ventilation for fumes and a hugely increased fire risk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fumes and safety were also real concerns. At the time the tunnel was first proposed, there was very little experience of very long undersea road tunnels (and there still isn't, most undersea tunnels over 10km are rail). On land tunnels can have regular shafts to the surface for handle ventilation and emergency access.

In the channel tunnel this isn't possible, and so it is far easier to make it for rail only. Not only do you climate the problem of having to have massive pumps to handle the build up of fumes (all trains in the tunnel are electric, though there is sufficient ventilation to allow for diesel locos to be used temporarily to rescue stranded trains etc.) but also you massively reduce the chances of accidents. A motorway pile up in a 30+km undersea tunnel is pretty much the stuff of nightmares.

Finally, it also avoided having to deal with the problem of switching lane direction (RHD/LHD) en-route - not a huge problem but apparently there was concerns that without a break in driving people would be more likely to make mistakes and cause accidents.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Proper EV reserved/enforced parking a la parent and child bays. Our Waitrose almost always has a BEV or PHEV in the car park on Saturdays.

Chuck in a charger if it's helpful (Leicester's John Lewis car park has ~6 EV pays on every level, each with a 3-pin. Over 2-3 hours shopping one can get about 20% charge back on; nearly worth the grief...).

I don't know if they are enforced or not....

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
Proper EV reserved/enforced parking a la parent and child bays. Our Waitrose almost always has a BEV or PHEV in the car park on Saturdays.

Chuck in a charger if it's helpful (Leicester's John Lewis car park has ~6 EV pays on every level, each with a 3-pin. Over 2-3 hours shopping one can get about 20% charge back on; nearly worth the grief...).

I don't know if they are enforced or not....

You spend too long in Waitrose. Most of your food must be defrosted or semi-perished before you even get to the till. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts