Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My iOn was backed into a brick post and, needless to say came off the worse for it.

I need to know the name of this bent part so I can source one. Here's photo with it circled in blue. The photo was taken from under the center of the rear bumper, looking towards the rear passenger side wheel arch. What is it called, and is it hard to change out?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd take the bumper off and then try hitting the bent bit with a big lump hammer first

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd take the bumper off and then try hitting the bent bit with a big lump hammer first

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
No need to hit it, it is not that tough. It is a fairly weak piece of steel U-channel, forming a strap between the steel car shell and the plastic bumper. The end at the bumper is held by a plastic "pop" fastener, which can be hard to release and may well break apart. The other end is probably a very rusty bolt. The U-channel part is soft enough to bend back into shape by hand, without removing or replacing anything. The two vertical lips of the channel will have deformed outwards or inwards. If you bend them back to the original 90 degree angle with a pair of pliers ( e.g. waterpump pliers ), the bracket will regain its original shape and the bumper will sit correctly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks. I'll go give that a try.

Just out of curiosity, what is the name of that part?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure, something like "rear bumper nearside support bracket".
There are two of these supports, left & right, plus a centre one - which is plastic.
When I was preparing my iOn for the first MOT in my ownership I found that the RH one was bent and hanging loose after some earlier shunt. I doubt if anyone would have this part in stock. If required, it could easily be fabricated from 1mm sheet steel, or from galvanised builder's strapping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts