Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
We have a leaf and now an ID4 and I wondered if there was a simple explanation (can’t work it out from the manual) which tells me how to delay charging in the way I do with the leaf.
In the leaf we have the charge timer set to 00:00 and no end and it just ‘waits’ when plugged in until then and then kicks in the charging.
If we want to override we press the override button and charging starts when plugged in.
Any clues as to how to replicate simply on the ID4? I don’t want to say when I leave, just ‘delay start until’.

thanks!

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,684 Posts
Hi.
We have a leaf and now an ID4 and I wondered if there was a simple explanation (can’t work it out from the manual) which tells me how to delay charging in the way I do with the leaf.
In the leaf we have the charge timer set to 00:00 and no end and it just ‘waits’ when plugged in until then and then kicks in the charging.
If we want to override we press the override button and charging starts when plugged in.
Any clues as to how to replicate simply on the ID4? I don’t want to say when I leave, just ‘delay start until’.

thanks!
Short answer, no.

The system is based around departure times and/or off peak hours, and so the car looks at when to end the charge, rather than when to start it. This is the opposite of the e-Golf which behaved like your Leaf and started charging at the time you set for off-peak, and finished whenever the charge was complete.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
169 Posts
use a smart charger and let it do the work.

if you know the car is 77kWh battery and have a 32A (7kWh charger) Start at midnight and finish 10 hours later and that should be fine... its pre midday so if you dont plug in again till the evening, that should be fine.

The the chargers usually have an override and you can charge right away if required.

Zappi has this and (I think wallbox) and many others.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Short answer, no.

The system is based around departure times and/or off peak hours, and so the car looks at when to end the charge, rather than when to start it. This is the opposite of the e-Golf which behaved like your Leaf and started charging at the time you set for off-peak, and finished whenever the charge was complete.
Thanks. I was hoping if I set off-peak to midnight- 7am then it would wait until midnight to start but appears not. I’d rather avoid the charger because I have/will have pod points which ignore scheduling if the wifi goes.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,684 Posts
Thanks. I was hoping if I set off-peak to midnight- 7am then it would wait until midnight to start but appears not. I’d rather avoid the charger because I have/will have pod points which ignore scheduling if the wifi goes.
Yes, if you set off peak for midnight to 0700 it will charge between those times, but sometimes underestimate the time it takes. Some people have created off peak times of 12-1, 1-2, 2-3 as a cludge to make it work.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
169 Posts
im using the charger to set the time because I have solar and the excess solar charges the car during the day like mad dogs and englishmen!!! (for those who know the song!)
I dont want the car to prevent the solar charging at midday!
But as Meevee said, you need to be careful because some chargers the functionality is lost if the wifi goes down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts