Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fighting in Nissan's corner on their Leaf page. As I expected, there are some morons - one woman won't buy a Nissan because she had an un-named model in 1987/88 which gave problems.

It was hard to resist winding the haters up so I have referred them to the forum instead, not that they will pay us a visit.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
255 Posts
...won't buy a Nissan because she had an un-named model in 1987/88 which gave problems...
My first thought on reading this was ”didn’t every car in 1987/8 give problems?”. Then I remembered I bought a Fiat Uno in ’87 that was - as far as I now recall - absolutely flawless. Sadly in ‘91 I was seduced by a Rover 214 in British Racing Green, which was... an absolute nightmare...

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who was it on here who wouldn’t buy a French car, because reasons?
Not moi. I've had 3 Pug 205s, 2 DS3s, and a C5. The C5 was 10years old and needed a steering rack due to a known (not to me at the time) fault with the input shaft seal, otherwise no problems. (if you exclude the DS3 1.6THP having the (BMW Prince) engine replaced under warranty)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bias is always an issue and I think the press are worse if anything - always banging on about German reliability and build quality when it's been going downhill for decades, iD3/4 getting glowing reviews despite many issues/cost-cutting which French or Far Eastern brands would be slated for. I've got friends who won't buy Renault because they had a Scenic which had an engine blow - they conveniently forget the warning light was on for 6 months and they ignored it! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
367 Posts
Who was it on here who wouldn’t buy a French car, because reasons?
I would definitely fit the bill and half of France would agree with me.
And I have ranted about the reliability of the Zoe too.

If the Leaf would be a POS I would be screaming all over the forum too.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,591 Posts
I've got friends who won't buy Renault because they had a Scenic which had an engine blow - they conveniently forget the warning light was on for 6 months and they ignored it!
K-series engine will blow its head gasket at exactly 70,000 miles.

Won't stop me buying another Lotus Elise though. :)

·
Banned
367 Posts
On our third Zoe and have no complaints.
What happened to the 2 others?
Why did you sell them if you were happy with them?

I'm planning to keep at least one of my MK1 Leafs for as long as they are economical to keep running, even if I have to swap the battery.
It still looks like a spaceship from the future compared to all the rest that's parked in front of my house.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,470 Posts
Bias is always an issue and I think the press are worse if anything - always banging on about German reliability and build quality when it's been going downhill for decades, iD3/4 getting glowing reviews despite many issues/cost-cutting which French or Far Eastern brands would be slated for. I've got friends who won't buy Renault because they had a Scenic which had an engine blow - they conveniently forget the warning light was on for 6 months and they ignored it! :rolleyes:
Yes, bias is everywhere, depends where you look.

For example, the Kona fires seem to have escaped serious attention, but Tesla have one or two and it’s world news.

On the subject of engines blowing, years ago a mate of mine had his work efforts rewarded by being presented with an Austin Montego company car. He hated it, to the extent that he drained it of most of the oil in an attempt to kill it.

A few weeks later it was still going, but now sounded like a bag of spanners, not that it was silky smooth before of course...

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
792 Posts
I was a bit cautious buying my first Renault car, first EV and first brand new car, the Zoe due to Renaults reputation for dodgy electrics but apart from the satnav crashing on the way home from Eastbourne no problems in two years of ownership. Fixed the satnav the next day by holding down the power button for 30 secs doing a hard reset, wiping all my settings :)

Interestingly peoples attitudes at work are start to change and they are showing a little interest in buying an EV, I tell them not to buy one because they will like it too much :LOL:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yes but you also have the world’s only working Tesla ;)
D'oh! :cry: I thought mine is fine ...4 & 1/2 years old & still going strong... but there must be a problem with it, I'll go check the motor spindle to make sure everything is fine...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts