Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
350mile round trip in the iPace today. It was a stiff test of the Jag, which made the best of a bad deal:

The good:
-Easy and quick charges at the 150kW/Hr machine at BP Chargemaster HQ for both legs of journey: I started on the 50kW/h unit until an employee moved his e-Niro for me. He explained I'd not see more than 75kW/Hr as the unit needed a firmware upgrade (I'm a Polar member, having taken up the 3 months "free" offer; this seems to mean this unit is free to use at the moment). Obviously the iPace is unlikely to get near 100kW/h anyway.
-Hidden bonus: excellent blackberries along a permissive path by charger.
-Scorchio weather (though a couple of greasy showers).
-Great roads and scenery
-Car is effortless to drive swiftly and safely: exiting corners it just digs-in and goes. Overtaking achieved with simple titration of accelerator/regen (almost like a sportsbike)
-Steering feels direct and hides the weight of the car with quick and accurate turn-in (for such a lump with squadgy tyres)
-Base level seats ("S" model) continue to be comfortable
-Remote climate control/condition is great when it's 34degC (according to the car)

The bad:
-Two road closures which sat Nav didn't know about and on the way there, Worcester ring road had roadworks all the way round. Accordingly I went a different way back: more roadworks, clogged by people trying to avoid ring road, presumably.
-V slow roadworks at heads-of-valley road, worsened by broken down farm vehicle and a rear-end accident in single-lane contra-flow!
-Car fire on A465
-Loads of combine harvesters and bale-towing tractors due to sunshine with storms forecast.
-Lane assist can be annoying on narrower roads (especially if no/poor nearside markings), roadworks where cones direct you across lanes or when lanes merge/split
-Several times I had the opportunity to explore the limit of the car's normally-impeccable handling (happily that limit is not somewhere I intend to spend time but it's good to know its character): becomes slightly wallowy and wayward over mid-corner bumps and undulations (NB: Base-spec "S" with no extras, 18" wheels). I did not notice any intrusive corrections by "nanny" in the dry (the showers produced some diminished adhesion areas where it was easy to provoke a response, though I could not tell what was being done.)

Gratuitous pics for ZapMap check-in:

Faster-charger in the background, to which I moved when an employee freed-it-up.

Loving the car and the EV "experience".

So far the DC charging has not been an issue (with the exception of the BP/Polar app, solved with RFID card).

Last week I drove from West Wales to South Devon (and back) with 2 adults+3 teenagers, one of whom is 6'5", and luggage. All were surprised with the comfort as we would normally take an Alhambra 7 seater or aging Merc ML350 (which the Jag replaced) for such a trip.

This weekend I'll be off the beaten track: into the Cambrian mountains, where I would previously have taken the Merc 4x4. It's certainly not off-roading, as such, but unsealed/tarmac'd tracks which will get slippery and muddy if the storms are as bad as forecast. Hopefully the Land Rover DNA will rise to the occasion...

...without the JLR reliability issues ;)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Nice car!

I'll be the pedantic one and say that the chargers you were using were 150kW and 50kW (etc.) chargers.

kWh is stored energy in your battery pack. kW is power.

I'm a fan of the Polar/BP network at the moment. Their 50kw units all take contactless (and also give the option of cheaper with a subscription etc.), they seem fairly reliable, they are rolling out the 150/175kw units and also they seem fairly responsive to customers.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
994 Posts
Their 50kw units all take contactless
Some. Not all.

My closest Ultracharge unit still doesn't support contactless. Nor do any of the Polar 50kW Units manufactured by DBT.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice car!

I'll be the pedantic one and say that the chargers you were using were 150kW and 50kW (etc.) chargers.

I'm a fan of the Polar/BP network at the moment. Their 50kw units all take contactless (and also give the option of cheaper with a subscription etc.), they seem fairly reliable, they are rolling out the 150/175kw units and also they seem fairly responsive to customers.
Useful stuff thanks. As someone soon to have their first EV this is still a bit of a minefield. Is polar the only brand under the BP unbrella, in England at least? Cheers

·
Registered
994 Posts
Useful stuff thanks. As someone soon to have their first EV this is still a bit of a minefield. Is polar the only brand under the BP unbrella, in England at least? Cheers
There is also CYC which is under control of BP Chargemaster. You can use the Polar card to access them. But it is mostly a network made up of old, abandoned and long forgotten chargers.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Some. Not all.

My closest Ultracharge unit still doesn't support contactless. Nor do any of the Polar 50kW Units manufactured by DBT.
Admittedly, I haven't visited everyone one in the country, but I have visited a decent amount and they were all contactless.

Their site says all the 50kw-150kw units support contactless, so maybe you should tell them...?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Admittedly, I haven't visited everyone one in the country, but I have visited a decent amount and they were all contactless.

Their site says all the 50kw-150kw units support contactless, so maybe you should tell them...?
Just checked the site. All new installations from now on will have it and they will retrofit Ultrachargers within the next 12 months. So my local ultracharge unit will likely get it at some point. But the DBT's will not get that. Not all 50kW chargers are ultrachargers.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
704 Posts
wish there was a filter on zap map to filter on contactless accepted rapids

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice car!

Thanks; pedantry is educational in this circumstance!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts