Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
BMW i3
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just traded my 2017 Leaf Tekna for a 2016 i3 Rex. I like driving the car, but the iDrive system seems to be an overcomplicated nightmare. I have a Honda Civic, and both Honda and Leaf systems were so much more intuitive. The iDrive really is the worst system to use I have ever seen. The complex menus within menus make it difficult to ever find what I want. I find the online guide useless too. Sure, I can play with the menu and see what is there, but cannot easily find what I ask for. In desperation, I tried the voice command. I ask for Radio 4 and up comes classics FM. I ask it to go home, and it sends me to Northampton, where a friend lives. Maybe the voice recognition is designed for Americans with a German accent, or Germans with an American accent? Seems to be no voice recognition trainer.
I don’t find the YouTube efforts to explain very useful. Can anyone recommend a tutorial before I give up and use Google maps on my iPhone to Navigate!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think that you will find the iDrive is one of the most intuitive and regarded as the best and most copied of all the in car infotainment systems.
I think you will just get used to it. I was the same after having never driven a BMW before.

·
Registered
BMW i3
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that you will find the iDrive is one of the most intuitive and regarded as the best and most copied of all the in car infotainment systems.
I think you will just get used to it. I was the same after having never driven a BMW before.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 1st Edition https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
811 Posts
I hope so!
I found the i-drive very unintuitive too when I had an i3, I think it depends how your brain is wired up, some like, others struggle..
I found the easiest way was to set up the shortcut buttons for the common things you use then they're just one button press away without the crazy knob twiddling through the i-drive menu...

·
Registered
BMW i3
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the i-drive very unintuitive too when I had an i3, I think it depends how your brain is wired up, some like, others struggle..
I found the easiest way was to set up the shortcut buttons for the common things you use then they're just one button press away without the crazy knob twiddling through the i-drive menu...
Thanks for the suggestion - I have managed to put a few things on the buttons.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If iDrive is the 'best on the market' I hate to think what the others are like.
Intuative and iDrive are contradictory terms.
I have successfully used voice recognition and direct input to insert destination addresses, but if the journey is to a new destination I have to allow at least 5 minutes before starting a journey to do so. I've tried inputting while on the move and found the task requires so much attention it's dangerous. If I'm going to input data mid-journey I find a place to stop and do it then.

The freestyle buttons are useless; an admission of defeat by the designers.
I may have two buttons programmed, but only remember one, to switch traction control off, and to effact that takes three operations;
press the store button,
turn the circular control to make the selection (and turn it again if the first turn was in the wrong direction),
then press the circular control again to confirm the selection.

For those not familiar with traction control, the default position is that if a wheel spins the engine power is cut until the spinning stops. Where traction is low this is no help at all as the vehicle cannot move forwards.
Switching TC off means there is no power cut, so the wheel with traction still turns and the vehicle moves forwards, to a surface with more grip. Useful on dirt, wet grass, wet leaves, snow and ice.

I have every sympathy with the OP. Either persevere and try not to loose your temper, or use an alternative you are already used to.

Regards.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Having used several of the systems at length I have to say that the idrive system is pretty good and it's a matter of taste which offering you prefer, I did find the conroller fiddly at first but I have grown to appreciate it. If you want to see a truly bad interface drive a Zoe. In the end these are complex machines with many controls and you have the choice to never access the menus once you have set it up how you like it. I like the freestyle buttons and you don't need to remember which is which because if you hover your finger over the button then the function you have programmed is shown in the display. The voice control is a good as any other i have used and works enough of the time to be useful. I tend to programem destrinations of the PC at home and send them to the car.

·
Registered
626 Posts
When my wife & I first used it it was confusing as SO MANY settings and functions. And we were also not used to it. But then really does become intuitive. Set it up to how you like and then not much need to enter the menus and sub menus.
I know iDrive came in for criticism when it was first launched on the 7 series I believe many years ago, as it attempted to tie together so many modern car functions in to one “dial and press” system.
But after driving many other cars it is safer than infernal touch screens although touch screens are unfortunately the way the market is going. A combination of the two is probably best. And it does help to declutter the dash of a multitude of buttons although there is no doubt pressing a button for an individual function is the easiest thing of all.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I use very few functions apart from the SatNav and the radio so have programmed “1” to get home and two other buttons for radio stations. Difficult to se how it could be made simpler but if I want to find a function I do a search in the Drivers Guide on my phone/iPad which will indicate which menu and sub-menu the command is located in.
Voice commands hit or miss and a bit disappointing when I consider how good Siri is on my Apple desktop. Also, when sending a destination to the car from your phone it can be difficult to find it in the car menu unles you know to look in Messages.

·
Registered
BMW i3
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use very few functions apart from the SatNav and the radio so have programmed “1” to get home and two other buttons for radio stations. Difficult to se how it could be made simpler but if I want to find a function I do a search in the Drivers Guide on my phone/iPad which will indicate which menu and sub-menu the command is located in.
Voice commands hit or miss and a bit disappointing when I consider how good Siri is on my Apple desktop. Also, when sending a destination to the car from your phone it can be difficult to find it in the car menu unles you know to look in Messages.
Getting the hang of it now thanks. Most things working, but was surprised the map doesn’t show current speed limits. My leaf had no roadside sign detection, but used the map to decide and show the speed limit, which was very useful.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I
Getting the hang of it now thanks. Most things working, but was surprised the map doesn’t show current speed limits. My leaf had no roadside sign detection, but used the map to decide and show the speed limit, which was very useful.
It seems to be a fact of life that in-car SatNavs can’t match the features of stand-alone devices. We use a Garmin in our motorhome and it has (very accurate) speed limits throughout Europe.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Think speed limits were an optional extra and came as part of one of the “packs”. The sat-nav and drivers display showed the speed limits on ours.

·
Registered
BMW i3
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a new i3 ownerI have a query about the charging timer. I set the timer for the 4 hour low tariff of Octopus, chose off peak charging, and it worked fine to 100% charge. I tried to do a shorter charge, and set it for 3 hours (12.30 to 3.30 instead of 4.30). Started fine, but did not stop at 3.30 - simply continued to 4.15, reaching 100% again. Departure time was 8.30 am. Do I need to put in a false departure time (e.g. 3.30 am) to stop it?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don’t believe that it is possible to stop the charge at less than 100%.
Actually there is no real need as the Battery Management System (BMS) ensures that the cells are kept just below maximum voltage (90 - 95%) which prolongs the life. This is a much debated topic but anecdotal evidence suggests a battery life of hundreds of thousands of miles so unless you are contemplating going around the world several times I wouldn’t worry about it. If you don’t fully charge you will not get the full range benefit.

·
Registered
BMW i3
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks - I recall from when I had a Leaf there were a lot of owners worried about 100% charging, and advice to stay between 20% and 80% unless planning a longer journey

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a new i3 ownerI have a query about the charging timer. I set the timer for the 4 hour low tariff of Octopus, chose off peak charging, and it worked fine to 100% charge. I tried to do a shorter charge, and set it for 3 hours (12.30 to 3.30 instead of 4.30). Started fine, but did not stop at 3.30 - simply continued to 4.15, reaching 100% again. Departure time was 8.30 am. Do I need to put in a false departure time (e.g. 3.30 am) to stop it?
No. Set the departure date for another day:

·
Registered
BMW i3
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No. Set the departure date for another day:
Thanks! That worked. Would never have figured that out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts