Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking for the socket listed above at sensible prices to charge (when it arrives ) my Model 3. Can anyone assist.
Thanks in advance
Barry..

·
Premium Member
10,189 Posts
To charge your Model 3 you need a hard wired, professionally installed charging point, you can't just wire up a socket. With the OLEV grant they start around £300.

You can use the included UMC on a normal 13A socket but it isn't really recommended as slow and not 100% safe (depending on socket, wiring etc.)

Some people get a commando socket fitted (again professionally) and use the UMC at 32A but that doesn't provide any resilience if the UMC breaks. I prefer to see the UMC as a backup and recommend a proper 7kW (tethered) charging point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your rapid response, the situation I have is I do very little miles my Audi TT only covered 6k in two years, so I will
only be slow charging my model 3 slowly (WHEN it arrives). On the rare occasion I need quicker charging there are several 7kw points nearby my home.
I feel if I buy a box of tricks it won't get used the way it should.A good friend is a retired sparks and checked my garage power supply
its a 20amp plus cable with RCB on the main board and a 20amp fused switch box at the garage end.His professional opinion would be to fit a
blue commando socket close to the switched fuse box and see how I go initially, if not successful I will gladly purchase a Rolec or similar .
You comments would be most helpful.
Thank again.
Barry..

·
Registered
924 Posts
You can charge with a granny lead - via a commando socket, a 3.6kW or 7kW charge point, but not just uncontrolled AC.

There has to be a controlling electronics between the AC supply and the car. If you use the granny lead, just need a normal AC socket for your area.

·
Premium Member
10,189 Posts
The Model 3 comes with the UMC which as you say, includes a 16A blue commando.

Your retired friend may not be up to date in regulations, so if used for charging a car it does need to be an interlocked socket on a dedicated circuit with relevant protection. A DC fault on the car could blind your house Type AC RCD if on the same circuit. In that fault condition occurs you have no protection against electric shocks in the house.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can charge with a granny lead - via a commando socket, a 3.6kW or 7kW charge point, but not just uncontrolled AC.

There has to be a controlling electronics between the AC supply and the car. If you use the granny lead, just need a normal AC socket for your area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ralkbirdy for the info. I think I will go with the simple option you suggested initially, I can assume the Model 3 lead
has a plug on one end obviously for the car and the other is a male commando.
Thanks again all for your info and assistance.
This is what these sites are for thanks for all your inputs.
Barry..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts