Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and the family aren't planning on going anywhere for the next few months.

Whats the best battery level to leave the car at?
Any other tips for leaving a car sitting unused for months?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The manual is wrong and I don't understand why it says that because battery deterioration is always at its very worst when left at a high or low state of charge. If you can, leave the battery at 45% - 55%. At that state the battery will likely go for ages without any significant deterioration.

Some people even use the charge timer on the car or on their charger to ensure that their charging finishes just before they are due to leave for work so the car stands the minimum time at full charge. I am not convinced myself that is worth the effort but if you are going to leave the car for anything more than a day or two unused then best to aim to keep it at around 50% and certainly if you are going on holiday then the best approach is to not leave the car at the airport empty or full. Charge up to 50%, go on holiday, then charge up to full on your return for your journey home.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,294 Posts
You know, in the current climate and with everything that’s going on, I really don’t think it matters in the grand scheme of things.

Remember that 100% charged isn’t actually 100% anyway (Tesla excepted), there’s a top buffer and charging to full and letting it ‘self discharge’ to whatever won’t kill it, especially if you aren’t around to keep managing the charge to 50%.

There’s plenty to worry about, battery degradation shouldn’t be very high up the list IMHO.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Move it occasionally to avoid "flat spotting" the tyres and make sure the brakes aren't seizing up. If on level ground probably best to not apply the parking brake.

Reactions: rosinchard

·
Registered
2019 Kona 65Kw 2017 Outlander phev gx4hs
539 Posts
Like your mobile phone best battery life is found when left between 40 to 80% so leave it at 80 and charge when it's at 40. I am sure you will use it occasionally

·
Registered
180 Posts
The manual is wrong and I don't understand why it says that because battery deterioration is always at its very worst when left at a high or low state of charge. If you can, leave the battery at 45% - 55%. At that state the battery will likely go for ages without any significant deterioration.

Some people even use the charge timer on the car or on their charger to ensure that their charging finishes just before they are due to leave for work so the car stands the minimum time at full charge. I am not convinced myself that is worth the effort but if you are going to leave the car for anything more than a day or two unused then best to aim to keep it at around 50% and certainly if you are going on holiday then the best approach is to not leave the car at the airport empty or full. Charge up to 50%, go on holiday, then charge up to full on your return for your journey home.
Here's an article that probably answers the question:
Kia's recommendation (like that to charge to 100%' i.e. about 95% in fact, once a month) probably won't make that much difference in the grand scheme of things, as others suggest. But yes, by all means keep it low-ish, keep it cool, and give it a little and often seems to be what the doctor orders.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I don't think you're interpreting Kia's advice properly.
Charging the car to 100% once a month when in regular use is common across the board for any EV.
This goes inline with using the battery between 20% to 80% on a regular basis and then as above once in a while (monthly as rule of thumb)
They don't say that if you leave the car parked for a very long period you should charge it to 100% and the advice given here for 50% charge is also valid for any EV.
I never heard a manufacturer advocating for a car to be parked for a very long period.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know, in the current climate and with everything that’s going on, I really don’t think it matters in the grand scheme of things.

There’s plenty to worry about, battery degradation shouldn’t be very high up the list IMHO.
Don't worry*, I have indeed got many many other things to worry about during the pandemic, but still.

Thanks for the advice everyone, very useful

(* = or do, as appropriate)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
I would like to see evidence that 50% SOC is any different to say 70% or 80%.

Personally I leave the Tesla at 70% most days and I think that’a being ultra cautious.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unlocked to protect the 12v too if you can with a charger on it every now and again.
My car seems to always lock itself sometime after I leave it unlocked.
Is that a feature I can turn off?
Or is it just that the key is in my pocket and I'm sitting on the button or something?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts