Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems an obvious question, and there's probably an obvious answer, but still I was wondering.

If people starting buying EVs in their droves, in particular longer range EVs, and stopped buying fuel at stations around the country... How would the government make it's tax income?

Surely they rely A LOT on the income they make from fuel duty, and as they cannot "target" EV charging as a separate thing to any other domestic power use, how would they compensate for this loss of very direct, targeted income from drivers?

Toll roads? Crazy road fun license fees? EV owners domestic tariffs?

Feels like they have a LOT of financial incentive for EVs to never become mainstream. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Honestly I don't think they have given it a thought yet, mass adoption is probably 20 years out, and before the majority are EVs maybe 2070. Most governments don't think past the next election.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
There is zero road fund licence on EVs at the moment to encourage take up but I suspect that the lost fuel tax may have to be recovered through a special EV rate of road fund licence.

As you say tho... probably not for quite a few years to come :)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
If there is one thing that governments have never failed to do is work out ways of taxing its population, I dont suspect with EVS at the moment its a huge loss, they are going to get fined though if they dont control emissions so need to encourage efficiency everywhere, the fines will be far more substantial than the loss of revenue from fuel tax, I dont think folks need to worry for a while yet.

The fair thing to do of course would be just to load the difference on to petrol to encourage people away from it, solar panel prices are tumbling, it wont take long before folks can do the maths and work it out? hang on? I can power my car from the sun?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Hopefully they'll load it all on ice car purchase tax like in Norway. The more connected our cars become the easier it will be to levy a mileage based tax - fairer for all.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Pay as you use is really the only fair way to tax road use, however it should include EVs as well
But we are already paying to use the roads through local council tax, road tax isnt used to repair,maintain or build new roads it goes in to the general tax pot, so they need to load the excise duty on to petrol to make people switch to electric but of course as the revenue drops from fuel receipts they will want to claw that back so eventually they will tax you for even looking at a car, like I said governments have never failed to come up with ways of taxing everyone to hell sadly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pay as you drive is edging closer. Insurance firms are very keen on everyone having GPS spy devices fitted to cars, so that they can keep tabs on car use. It is already happening now, for some young drivers whose policies would cost thousands, but if they agree not to drive on Friday/Saturday and Sunday evenings, they can save a fortune. Very easy to turn this into a PAYD system for road tax purposes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts