Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had my Kona serviced about a month ago and the BMS upgrade at the same time, I wanted to check the charging on a high rate charger so dropped into Peterborough services this evening to ‘test’ charge on one of their high performance 150KW charge points.
I had the choice of all 6 chargers – so selected #3. It was a bad choice since it was ‘out of order’ so I switched no #4 instead and logged in. After a couple of minutes reminding myself of the tech involved (QR code scan brings up the right payment authorisation page, confirm credit card details etc), the charger connected with the car and re-charging (at 69p per kWh!) commenced.
The car was at 18% (52 mile range) and it was encouraging to see a recharge rate of 73kW for a couple of minutes before there was a ‘fizz’ and everything stopped (!) I tried re-connecting but the charger initially told me it had ‘lost communication with the car’ and then wouldn’t re-connect at all.
After 10 minutes of trying to re-establish a connection (and fearing I’d broken the car), I called the Ionity helpdesk. The assistant there advised me to start again and tried to activate charging remotely but to no effect. She then suggested I switch to Charger #2 and she started the charge remotely after asking me to "hold the plug firmly in place in the car for the first minute or so, until 2 way communication had been established and everything has settled down". I’m not sure that holding a high voltage / high current cable is advisable when it’s live! – however it worked out OK and I recharged at 72kW for the next 20 minutes or so with no further problems….. When I unplugged at 68%, the charge rate had decreased to 27kW and I’d added about 150 miles range (approx. 32kW). So – I hope my BMS upgrade has worked!
But I'm disappointed with my Ionity experience:
  • My stop was about an hour in total (including charger problems)
  • I ‘tested’ 3 of the 6 Ionity chargers on offer before I could make one work effectively. That’s a 50% redundancy rate.
  • I added 32KW at a cost of £22.
Is this Progress? I usually re-charge with my Polar plus membership at 15p per kwH, which would take about an hour and cost less than £6. I’ve even re-charged with a Polar at 75kW on a 150kW machine outside Hereford once which cost 20p per kWH

Whilst Ionity have a nice website and new, clean chargers at 69p per kWH they are expensive and if my experience is typical the fabled trouble free Tesla Supercharger network becomes really quite compelling….

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
2019 BMW i3 120Ah
1,613 Posts
Yep, I’ve been less than impressed by Ionity on at least half of the occasion I’ve used them. Cambridge and Peterborough in particular seem quite unreliable. Not good reviews on PlugShare / ZapMap.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I tried Ionity at Baldock when it opened and was on free vend and the first charger I tried didn't work. Bay layout was also poor for cars with front ports.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I tried Ionity at Baldock when it opened and was on free vend and the first charger I tried didn't work. Bay layout was also poor for cars with front ports.
Should be fine as they are stall based? Unless the cables are really short there? Stall layout should be the most flexible...

I think this is likely because the big hitters that are in the Ionity partnership all have the charge ports on the sides of the cars (e.g. VAG, Merc etc.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
As far as i've noticed, most stations had free-to-charge schemes the first few weeks/months after they opened. And also as far as i'm conceirned, i'm never charging at one. Being backed by many EV automakers, they will try their best to keep the prices as high as possible for as long and possible (until it becomes acceptable by the general population). That should not be allowed to happen, under any circumstance. So, for me, i will always charge at the "little ones" :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
The ionity idea is really to only use them with manufacturers charging service (VW WeCharge, E-tron charging service, ...) where you pay a more reasonable ~0.30€ per kWh. Also, in near future, the manufacturers charging services + ionity should work with plug-and-charge. So you just plug the cable to the car and it starts charging. There is of course a couple of catches.

1. There is a monthly fee for charging service subscription. If you dont charge often at ionity, dishing 10€ monthly for the privilege is a bit steep. Then again, anything with car brand name on it is more expensive that then generic alternatives...
2. Given how unreliable ionity chargers are, chances are plug-and-charge won't work reliable either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When (and if) they (ever) have reliable chargers, sure, charge by the kwh at a reasonable rate (0.5 euro / kwh max). But dont ask for a monthly subscription, those are just traps for suckers (and are worth it only if you charge a whole lot). Then people will use your chargers, massively. And your total profit will be worth while (less overhead, but many people charge)

·
Registered
608 Posts
When (and if) they (ever) have reliable chargers, sure, charge by the kwh at a reasonable rate (0.5 euro / kwh max). But dont ask for a monthly subscription, those are just traps for suckers (and are worth it only if you charge a whole lot). Then people will use your chargers, massively. And your total profit will be worth while (less overhead, but many people charge)
The subscription comes with the car for at least an initial period. In fact, I think ID3 customer are actually getting several thousand kwh’s free in the first year.

I think the idea on the high priced charging for cars that aren’t VAG/Mercedes etc with the subscription is to actually discourage their use in an almost Tesla type charging setup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When you invest such huge ammounts of money in the chargers (and location), you favor a few thousand cars over hundreds of thousands of other cars ? That makes no financial sense.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,762 Posts
When you invest such huge ammounts of money in the chargers (and location), you favor a few thousand cars over hundreds of thousands of other cars ? That makes no financial sense.
Unless all your funding comes from those select OEMs in your club and the EU.

Ionity's goal is to get all of the 'other' OEMs to join their club.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,689 Posts
Ionitys partners pockets are deep enough to swallow any loss for a number of years if it sells their EVs. I don't think they care whether they are used or not its just to reassure the partners customers that its there if they want to use it. It will eventually become profitable I imagine.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The ionity idea is really to only use them with manufacturers charging service (VW WeCharge, E-tron charging service, ...) where you pay a more reasonable ~0.30€ per kWh. Also, in near future, the manufacturers charging services + ionity should work with plug-and-charge. So you just plug the cable to the car and it starts charging. There is of course a couple of catches.

1. There is a monthly fee for charging service subscription. If you dont charge often at ionity, dishing 10€ monthly for the privilege is a bit steep. Then again, anything with car brand name on it is more expensive that then generic alternatives...
2. Given how unreliable ionity chargers are, chances are plug-and-charge won't work reliable either.
10€ a month works out at around 2.50€ a week. So if you charge once a week, you will be paying 0.30€ per kWh + 2.50€ for the session.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,838 Posts
It works for Tesla.
Even worse, as Tesla don't allow third party cars to charge at all! Excepting the recent SCv3 software FU. :devilish:

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I think the idea on the high priced charging for cars that aren’t VAG/Mercedes etc with the subscription is to actually discourage their use in an almost Tesla type charging setup.
This.

They want to create an exclusive Tesla like members only network but EU regulations won't allow them. So they just make the price for non members impalatable to keep the peasants away. Problem solved. :p

Even if I had a CCS car I wouldn't be using them at that price.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Other then Tesla most EVs sold in the next few year will come from companies that are members of Ionity. It is a macketing spend for Ionity members so they sell more EVs and pay less in CO2 fines.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The subscription comes with the car for at least an initial period. In fact, I think ID3 customer are actually getting several thousand kwh’s free in the first year.
"Free subscription for X months and free X kWh at fast chargers" are things dealers will dish at you when shopping for an EV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think Hyundai dealers failed to get that memo
Hyundai has only recently joined ionity, and doesn't have "Hyundai charge" service yet. I bet they'll introduce it next year with the next Hyundai EV. It is rumoured to supports 800v charging, and thus takes better advantage of ionity chargers anyways. doubt they'll provide the service to existing owners tho...

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,838 Posts
Hyundai has only recently joined ionity, and doesn't have "Hyundai charge" service yet. I bet they'll introduce it next year with the next Hyundai EV. It is rumoured to supports 800v charging, and thus takes better advantage of ionity chargers anyways. doubt they'll provide the service to existing owners tho...
I think they will throw a lot at their dedicated EV platform: Ioniq. Chances are it will come with a prepackaged deal for Ionity, but I guess we will see.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts