Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used for the first time today on my i3. Tap card and press start, tap card to finish. 48% to 98% in 30 minutes - just long enough for coffee and croissants. Cost £5 for an additional range of around 85 miles.
Now, we just need a to find a way of replacing Ecotricity with Instavolt. In fact, wouldn't it be good if Instavolt were everywhere. No app., so simple, and it worked!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Agreed! I really like the idea of their next gen hardware load sharing as well, so if only one car charges they can get 120kw allowing faster charging at sites with limited supply.

By the way you don't need to tap your card a second time to finish. Just press stop. Although I don't know if this is the case with the latest hardware

·
The best there is at what I do
10,563 Posts
The Shell chargers work exactly the same, I used one in Reading recently after trying EH chargers at Chievely Services, Ikea and Reading Services, it was a life saver.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed! I really like the idea of their next gen hardware load sharing as well, so if only one car charges they can get 120kw allowing faster charging at sites with limited supply.

By the way you don't need to tap your card a second time to finish. Just press stop. Although I don't know if this is the case with the latest hardware
No “stop” on the one I used but the dialogue said to tap card again.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
If only instavolt were everywhere, it would be bad.

I do want them everywhere, don’t get me wrong, but I also wants lots of other companies competing with them.

Imagine if we only had one oil company flogging us fossil fuels...

Instavolt are doing the right things, we need some others to step up to the plate too, with the same multiple chargers model.

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
188 Posts
I don't want Instavolt everywhere, but definitely want to see companies like them everywhere.

1)Their customer service in my experience is terrible. Rude, untrained, argumentative people have answered the phone on 2 of the 3 times I have had to call them up. One of them disconnected the call on me.
2)Also Zoe owners probably don't want to see Instavolt's Tritium chargers everywhere due to the lack of AC43 Connector - Though it does at least keep the PHEVs away, so good and bad sides to that one.
3)Finally the prices are a little steep, especially for their 50kW units. I know other networks are putting their prices up too, some of which are even exceeding the Instavolt prices, but as batteries are getting bigger, you can definitely find cheaper options out there.

Thats the reasons against them. But I definitely see the attraction to their installs. It is very rare to see a single unit. 95% of the time there are at least 2 chargers at a location. The contactless options are good (even though I Personally use these with a RFID tag anyways) to prevent you from having to mess around with apps and memberships. Also their chargers are pretty reliable, don't break down much and when they do, they seem to get repaied within a couple of days, rather than the 6 month wait you will see with operators like CYC.

I'd rather see Polar Ultrachargers everywhere, but with 2+ units at every location, and the emergency stop button behind some glass you have to break to deter people passing by (or other impatient EV drivers) from just pushing it, knocking the whole unit offline and out of action until an engineer resets it - which is where Polar fall down with slow response times. If for example EH collapsed and every motorway services was getting a new operator, Polar would be getting my vote rather than Instavolt.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
1)Their customer service in my experience is terrible. Rude, untrained, argumentative people have answered the phone on 2 of the 3 times I have had to call them up. One of them disconnected the call on me.
That isn’t good to hear.

Out of interest, what were the reasons you’ve needed to call them 3 times?

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
188 Posts
That isn’t good to hear.

Out of interest, what were the reasons you’ve needed to call them 3 times?
The first time was a charger that had no power to it when I arrived. I called up to ask if they knew anything about it. They were just quite dismissive rather than helpful. I mentioned there was another about a mile down the road and asked if they could double check for me if that one seemed to be fine on their end as I was running dangerously low on battery and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be unnecessarily stranded. I got told to download Zap Map and check it out myself rather than blocking up the phone line with pointless requests.

The second time I started a charge fine, but it didn't accept my RFID tag to stop the charge. I didn't want to hit the emergency stop since I know what it can do to some other chargers and didn't want to inconvenience other people. No help to remote stop a session from them on the phone. Just repeated the standard instructions to stop a charge, when I repeated the fact that it didn't work, they cut me off. So I had to press the big red button in the end.

Third time I got to one of their new chargers which didn't seem to accept any cards. Neither my RFID tag or contactless card worked with it. They eventually agreed to start a charge for me but not before giving me a lecture about how it is my fault that it is my card that is the issue and that I should go with a proper bank if I want to use their services in the future. (apparently my debit mastercard that has worked on their chargers many times before is not a REAL card. And she only acknowledged the existence of banks that use visa for debit cards)

I've since discovered I am wasting my time with the call centre people who clearly don't want to be there or help anyone. I now just don't bother calling if I need help. Usually their chargers work fine and I will happily use them. But if there is an issue I can't solve myself, I won't bother calling them up and just look elsewhere if I can't get a charge there.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess they are pros and cons for every type of charger so the Instavolt comment was a bit tongue in cheek, what I meant really was wouldn’t it be nice if all the chargers were so intuitive, contactless card with no app and (apparently) quite reliable. My experience with EH was the opposite.
You drive to any motorway service station and find up to 10 Tesla chargers and 2 EH. The EH may or may not work and you need a pre-registered app. So on my trip up the M40 and M42 rather than risk a motorway services stop we detoured to Ballantynes which added 15 mins. to the journey - but it worked.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,563 Posts
I guess they are pros and cons for every type of charger so the Instavolt comment was a bit tongue in cheek, what I meant really was wouldn’t it be nice if all the chargers were so intuitive, contactless card with no app and (apparently) quite reliable. My experience with EH was the opposite.
You drive to any motorway service station and find up to 10 Tesla chargers and 2 EH. The EH may or may not work and you need a pre-registered app. So on my trip up the M40 and M42 rather than risk a motorway services stop we detoured to Ballantynes which added 15 mins. to the journey - but it worked.
Presume that was Banbury, it's quite a way off the beaten track, it's always worth popping into Cherwell Valley just in case one of the chargers is on FV which it is quite often.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts