Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • I'd like to see a crowd-imagined electric car, that takes all the best parts of every EV...
    • has a big enough battery at least 300miles
    • roof is one big solar panel
    • wind turbines on the front grill to regen while driving
    • better regen braking
    • less heavy metal in the battery manufacturing process
    • better charging infrastructure, universal charging port
    • charge card schemes are universal (i hate having to sign up to a new scheme)
    • comfortable drive without feeling like a heavy bathtub
    • good looking (not like a frog)
    • innovative interior (doesn't feel like a petrol car that has been converted)
    • links to android / microsoft / linux / apple kit easily + internet enabled securely.
    • can tow things
    • manufacturer engages with customers much more
    • services are easier, the parts are available on time
    • recalls are fewer
    • O/S boot up is quicker in car
    • car talks to me, tells me useful things, keeps me company
    • cheaper
    • LIVE parking space sensor for planning journeys to charge points
    • social network link from EV O/S
What would you like to see in your crowd-imagined EV?

·
Registered
331 Posts
  • wind turbines on the front grill to regen while driving
  • You'd need to be driving into a head wind for that to work, otherwise the main battery would be turning the turbine blades indirectly by propelling the car. And my gut feeling is that it wouldn't work even in a headwind. Too near to perpetual motion for my liking.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  • You'd need to be driving into a head wind for that to work, otherwise the main battery would be turning the turbine blades indirectly by propelling the car. And my gut feeling is that it wouldn't work even in a headwind. Too near to perpetual motion for my liking.
Maybe wind flaps on the sides might be more useful?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Even then, it's only a transfer of energy. That means any electricity generation from wind power while moving will be at the expense of the car's kinetic energy. Wind powered generation would only be of any use when the car is parked, which isn't to say that would be bad.

Any electricity generated by the car (other than breaking) would probably be somewhat inefficient though, simply based on weight and practicality (like the sahpe of the car). For instance, a solar panel on my roof would be much more efficient than on that of my car, as said car is almost never in the sun.

With current batteries, I don't want a 300 miles range electric car. Way too big batteries are required for that, that would be wasted most of the time. Give me a 100 miles range with some really good charging instead if possible. If 300 miles range can be achieved with about 500 kg, not too expensive batteries that don't generate huge amounts of polution to make, then sign me up for that though :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I'd be looking for a 200 mile range, packaged in something very aerodynamic.

I guess I must be getting old as all the 'connected' paraphernalia simply doesn't do it for me anymore (or perhaps CARWINGS has put me off it for good). Yes, it needs to tell me what the SOC% is when charging, and have the ability to remotely activate pre-heat or run to a schedule. Anything more than that is unnecessary.

It needs to be rear wheel drive and it needs to be entertaining to drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts