• No, why would I?

Votes: 7 25.9%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a bit of a debate here!

I can't see why you'd especially hire an EV. If you wanted one, you could test drive/borrow one (or several) from a dealer to help decide. If you want to rent a car, it's usually for longer journeys, more people, house moves and such? So why, currently, would people want to hire an EV?

If you feel inclined to do so, please expand on your reasonings below! :D

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's actually something I hadn't thought of, a Tesla would probably be the only electric car I might consider renting as a luxury car, perhaps for a day or weekend, just for fun.

·
Registered
705 Posts

I can't see why you'd especially hire an EV. If you wanted one, you could test drive/borrow one (or several) from a dealer to help decide. If you want to rent a car, it's usually for longer journeys, more people, house moves and such? So why, currently, would people want to hire an EV?

There are times when the situation gives the need to hire a car for shorter journeys like when flying and needing a car at the destination. If I did not have an EV it would be an excellent opportunity to try one. As I have an EV I would not want to hire an ICE if I there was a choice.

·
Super Moderator
7,542 Posts
If I needed to make a single journey of less than 70 miles then maybe an EV would be appropriate. But would I pay more than a Corsa? If it's more than 70, that counts out all EVs except the Teslas as practical in whatever scenario this is.

I'd hire a Roadster for fun, or a Model S to do something like an airport run or wedding, but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Would hopefully guarantee being given it "filled up" and wouldn't get the range anxiety attached to handing an ICE hire car back too full:p:D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Many people do not own a car, myself included! I hire a Nissan Leaf for one or two days per month, although through a car club rather than a traditional car hire company. The car club www.co-wheels.co.uk actually charge less for a Nissan Leaf than for a Toyota Aygo ICE. My total cost for 18 days hire during a year is £405.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
If I am travelling by rail or air and need a hire car I would take an EV if available at a sensible rate. That said, I mostly use public transport provided my destination is served.

I think the co-wheels.co.uk car club looks a great option. If there was one near us we would only need one car.

·
Registered
6 Posts

That's actually something I hadn't thought of, a Tesla would probably be the only electric car I might consider renting as a luxury car, perhaps for a day or weekend, just for fun.
Hi

If you wanted to hire one why not try here as they do hire them out and the experience is well worth it!!

http://www.evrent.co.uk

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,691 Posts
We have a Twizy for a week in January while we are away. Can't wait to give one a go I think they are the coolest and futuristic looking vehicles around.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Stratford upon Avon has an e-car club. They have 4 cars occupying 6 available 7kw points. I've written in the dust on them and they don't move. And they are never unplugged.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts