Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What car , make, model, engine would you have bought/leased, or if you had to, I know you would not once gone electric just interested.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Would be still driving my previous car.

Volkswagen Scirocco GT TDi 170.

Waiting for Volkswagen/Audi to bring out their Golf/A3 full electric with 32A charging as standard.

Happy enough with my LEAF for the next two or three years at least...

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
I was driving a Lexus IS diesel and whilst the car was ok I really liked the brand. I loved the new IS when I went to the launch at the dealers but it would be years before I could afford one.

As a result I had been considering a used CT200 as my next car having had one as a courtesy car one time. Whilst the 1.8 was a little coarse I liked the car. Again I was struggling to justify the cost whilst I would still have a fuel bill.

Then I discovered the deals on the Ampera and went for the great EV adventure.

Derek

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'd still be driving my VW EOS TDi Sport - fabulous 45mpg diesel with a hard top cabriolet that unfolds like a transformer.

I've already warned my OH to hide the cheque book if VW put the eGolf drivetrain in the VW EOS!

Reactions: UKTechie

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I was so satisfied with our Seat Mii SE 3 door that I would have bought a second one, also SE trim but with 5 doors.

·
Registered
394 Posts
In early 2013 I came very close to pulling the trigger on an m135i, I had it all spec'd up, price agreed, etc but then I started reading about the upcoming launch of the i3 and the more I read the more I liked. I'm so glad I changed my mind even though it did take one year from that point before the car was delivered :eek:

·
Registered
268 Posts
With our 2 eldest having flown the coop I was considering a serious downsize from ford c max to fiesta ecoboost (wife has a qashqai) I have a significant commute and was looking for economy. I found it :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'd probably stillbe driving my Yaris (yawn!) but would be forever on the lookout for something more interesting to change it to...
If I had spare cash, I'd be looking at a Toyota GT-86. If my wife was involved in vetoing the GT-86, I'd probably be looking at a Mazda 3 diesel.

Reactions: UKTechie

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it fair to say from this about 50/50 in terms of spending more to get an EV over ICE you would have chose so the EV driving effect swayed you to pay more rather than overall cost.

In my case for my budget I would normally pick a nearly new car for around 18-20K to try and get nicer spec and needed as close to 50MPG or more.

Initially this time I was going to go to 22K for a nearly new 320D ED Auto or a new latest Mini Cooper SD 5 door to be different, but once I tried the i3 REX I've now gone 8K over budget, which according to diesel v petrol calc on Honest John site means I need to do 175,000 miles to break even, so if anyone asks me I cannot say I got one to save money!

Of course if I compare a car near same price then I would be saving on running costs, so example would be new 3 series or Range Rover Evoque.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Would have still had my Megane RS250 which was the best 'driver's' car I've ever owned. A mate bought it and lots of the young lads at work think I'm crazy to have swapped. May take a while to convince them of the merits of EV. Meanwhile my mate can't get the grin off his face...having updated from a 13 yr old Golf 1.6.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I love the old 1 Series coupé (135i etc) and the new 2 series is quite nice... not sure I'd ever have bought one though.
Seriously? The old 1 Series had to be one of BMW's ugliest models, and the coupé even more so! (Says he who drives a Leaf...)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,435 Posts
After having my wee Corsa LPG for over 8 years and 240,000 miles I was seriously looking at another LPG Vauxhall. Only downsise was they stopped producing them shortly after I got mine. It looked as though it might have to be an imported Opel Corsa or even an Astra from Holland where they still offer the LPG as a factory fit option.
The 1.4 Astra GTC I have as a courtesy car for the week is showing 50.9 mpg on my usual commute and a range of 580 miles, downside it was over £60 to fill it when I got it . If this was on LPG it would be 40 mpg at less than 70p per litre.
But I still like my Ampera.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts