Volt or Ampera?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Well-Loved Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked this question before, I know.

If I recall correctly, the consensus was leaning in the direction of the Vauxhall because of dealer backup: as we've seen, you can still pick up a recently registered car that will still have some period to go on the factory warranty.

I'm asking again because the Renault has recently given me two causes for concern (not to mention a motor swap), and the Ampera is to date the only likely replacement that I not only liked but which also makes sense from a long term BEV owner's point of view.

But there are some very reasonably priced Volts on the market right now, and given it's the simpler, below-the-radar sort of design I prefer, I wondered if the majority view here remained that they're probably best avoided. I am still toying with the idea of that Ampera Earth, because to me the plain cloth seats and door trim make the interior more appealing, but the Earth as we've seen is the thick end of 18 grand.

Any wisdom to share?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
There are some Vauxhall dealers who are ok with providing service to Volts given the HV training their mechanics have is totally applicable. I don't know however what they can do about GM warranty claims. Why don't you ask mine who had three Volts in for service when I was last there. Go Vauxhall Wimbledon. They should tell you what they will and won't do up front. Other dealerships may have arrived a their own policy, so finding the one you would want to use first is probably best, and asking them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd have to go with either, but I'd expect a Volt to be cheaper than an otherwise identical Ampera, just because of the dealer issue.

I had to get shirty with my local Vauxhall dealer to get them to fix a fault with the tyre pressure monitoring system on a car which I'd bought a few days earlier from a different branch of the same company. The reason they tried to give was "It looks like a warranty issue and we cant do that because, unlike the other branch, we're not a Chevrolet dealer".

They fixed it in the end, but only because it was a fault that should have been fixed before I picked the car up. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a warranty job anyway. More likely just a sensor re-learn or something like that.

It's not an issue for me since I have a Chevrolet dealer quite nearby (not the same company I bought the car from), but the amount of discount I'd expect to see on the Volt would be proportional to my distance from the nearest Chevrolet dealer.

Cheers,

Volty.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Unless your local Vx dealer is Ampera-approved, they may refuse to have anything to do with it. Local Vx dealer not even allowed to sell me carpets/touch-up paint!!!

Whereabouts in the country are you? My local Ampera dealer's 45 miles away! Despite that, I still think it's a great car - but if you're dependent 100% on having it available 24/7 e.g. you commute & have no other backup way to work, you might want to consider a different car. Mine was off the road for a couple of weeks when my unexpected-but-preventable electric meltdown happened. But the 8 yr/100,000 mile wty meant the repair cost me nothing, and £90 for my one-off special recovery from breakdown-cover firm (Britannia - I didn't have home-start, where it happened - v helpful guys) was a small price to pay. I now have a 12V battery monitor permanently on display, as these cars tend to kill the 12V battery after 3 years, and that can be bad news. So keep a close eye on the 12V battery and that's got that problem sorted. Older & wiser!

So if I needed 100% guaranteed availability in all weathers/situations, there's nothing else for it - I'd have 2 Amperae!
One would be my car for the day's commuting, the other would be recharging at home on solar panels for nearly-free motoring, and I'd just swap over daily. Sorted. Except he Airbus would probably have taken me out, along with the car, house, family, half the city ...!

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I doubt the payout on mine would buy an Ampera, so easy answer for me, would have to be a like-for-like as nothing else in the price range.

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
My Ampera bring written off is a nightmare scenario as I have lifetime warranty and it would be very difficult to find a replacement were I would still get that - it would have to be ex demo reg before end Dec 14. I would probably replace with newest registered I could find to at least get long standard warranty.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,638 Posts
If I recall correctly, the consensus was leaning in the direction of the Vauxhall because of dealer backup
That seems a sensible outcome, but if you happen to live next door to an ex Chevrolet dealer who will sort warranty stuff out on a Volt then go for that.

TBH, if you are nowhere near a competent Vauxhall or ex-Chevrolet dealer, then I'd pause to consider the whole thing. They aren't new cars any more, and unless you've lived with the car for a while, I would not really trust one at the outset. Cars are designed to be used, not sit around for years. It's why I bought one when I did. I could've held on for a bit more depreciation, but decided I wanted a 'runner' so to speak, not an old left-over.

·
Registered
929 Posts
To buy outright I'd use the Gap insurance and buy another one of the 14-64 MY13 Ampera's again. there are more choice used than Volt's ( 4 for sale last time I looked ).

otherwise I'd lease a 94amp 30KWh i3 BEV

1 - 9 of 9 Posts