Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Would you rather charge at home, or your place of work?

• At home

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • At work

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Both equally

Votes: 7 58.3%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...would you charge there more than at your residence (assuming they're different)?

Turns out (as is probably no surprise to most of us) that the VAST majority of EV charging takes place at home, and usually overnight.

But if you could charge at your place of work every day, would you "flip" your habit and charge there? Would this be overall good, or bad?

Pros are obvious; cost could be taken on by companies, PR as people will see EVs charging and be green with envy, warm car without battery drain at the end of a work day/night.

Cons I guess are demand on the grid at the "wrong" time of day, not being "in control" of your main charge supply, being ICEd or block if too many people by EVs... not so many downsides perhaps?

I only ask as I've been working in a place this week with a charge point (two in fact) right outside, and it's awesome!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Definitely at home.

I will always want to charge overnight. That is where we can have the biggest impact on emissions and CO2 and that is where the spare capacity exists in the Grid. Even though I have Solar PV I always charge at night and let my surplus solar go out to the grid in the day so reducing the daytime grid loading and emissions.

I can see that some people may want to preheat their cars before leaving work (nice!) so being plugged in at work will help with that as the pre-heat will then not reduce range.

There is also the issue of Benefit in Kind. How will the Tax Man view it? I am not sure this one has even been considered yet by the lovely folk at HMRC... has it?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These chargers apparently are (or should be) on the Polar/Chargemaster network, so I guess that's coming off your "membership card" fees rather than a true work benefit, although the parking is easier, so that's a bonus!

I think you're right though, the administration side of many of these things have not been thought through. Did you know you can claim the "standard" mileage expenses for EVs, which seems crazy to me, but I wont complain!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
My commute is/was/will be (recently made redundant but another job a few miles further away) around 50+ miles one way. Too far for one charge on any vehicle which is why I went for the Ampera. I had been asking about the installation of a charging point at my last place of work and it had finally been approved and due to be installed this month. Unfortunately I will not be there to use it. New place will be in a new building so I will keep my fingers crossed that there is some EV charging facility put in place there.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I don't need a regular charge at work as I can usually make it both ways on battery, but it would be nice to have charging available at work on occasion. Also I have a colleague who would buy something like a Leaf except he would need to be able to charge to be sure of completing the round trip.

Putting in a charging point was discussed earlier this year, but when I queried the outcome of the discussions they said that charging points cost £5000 and they cannot afford that. I pointed out that ZCW points are available for rather less but money is short right now (and we're a charity) so I don't expect anything will happen. That's a pity as when installing a security barrier they did put in cabling for a charging point (i.e. there's a heavy mains cable just lying in the flower bed).

Also, to add to the frustration the next building along has 4 fast charge points (and I think they may now have added a rapid charger), as well as another fast charger in the parking for their previous offices across the road from us.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't need to charge at work as it's only 4 miles away. However I believe we should have chartge points at work for visitors/colleagues from other locations. I know of one who had to bring his ICE car rather than EV due to lack of charging availability whilst at an all day meeting

Tax implications, perception of fairness, and H&S, as well as "cost" seem to be the most quoted factors preventing such an install

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would love to charge at work. My company is in a shared building with about 1,000 people in total, I'm the only EV driver and I raised the point about EV charging bays and you would have thought I'd asked them to change led into gold.

So I can't see it happening, that's not to say I'm going to give up on it. I think it would be good for the company, I don't think building facility teams know enough about EV's. Example they thought the cost of electricity for EV's would be huge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts