Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Agile last week, and discovered last night that this 'IFTTT' thing I downloaded once and thought "that might be useful" is actually pretty revolutionary.
I've now got sockets that turn on/off based on price. Not much, but it's a start. Will eventually do the same with the car at some point.

We've got an old under counter freezer - I don't think it's particularly efficient. Thinking perhaps it's time for a new one, maybe one that is far more efficient, but also smart - what I'm hoping is that I could set the temperature lower when prices are low, and higher when the prices are higher...

My phone notifies me when Agile prices drop below 3p as well, just in case I missed it or I'm busy, and there's something else not already connected to a smart socket that I want to turn on.
I've also setup a thing where my phone notifies me if it detects that I've left the house, and reminds me to check I've turned things off (e.g. sockets, heating) via the various apps.

It feels to me like smart tech is really here, and it's the future happening right now. Windy day with an excess of generation? Not a problem, millions of households with varying levels of price thresholds will absorb it, just so long as energy companies are pricing based on supply/demand. Are Octopus the only ones so far? With more smart meters rolling out, this is surely the future, a level and efficient grid?

Any other good (or just fun) uses of IFTTT ?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That's the end of the freezer idea. Can't find any smart under-counter freezers....

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
That's the end of the freezer idea. Can't find any smart under-counter freezers....
Maybe just get a more efficient one anyway.
In the lab industry we now have peltier freezers - without compressors and no refrigerants. Quieter as well as more efficient. Don't know if they made it to the domestic market yet.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Peltier cooling is dramatically less efficient than conventional reverse rankin compressor/refrigerant coolers - around 25% of what is already a low efficiency. It is more reliable, quieter and has nothing to leak which all strike me as major advantages for Labs, but should not be allowed into homes unless we are willing to risk further global warming.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
324 Posts
Make it yourself then. Of course, it requires some tweaking, but it could be pretty easy like this:
  • set the freezer temp at its lowest
  • put a thermometer in the freezer that can be monitored by e.g. a raspberry
  • if the temp rises above a certain point, let the raspberry command a smart plug to switch on, and off when the temp is safe again
  • when electricity price drops below x, turn on the smart plug

Whether you actually save money after buying all the kit I am not sure. But it's fun.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make it yourself then. Of course, it requires some tweaking, but it could be pretty easy like this:
  • set the freezer temp at its lowest
  • put a thermometer in the freezer that can be monitored by e.g. a raspberry
  • if the temp rises above a certain point, let the raspberry command a smart plug to switch on, and off when the temp is safe again
  • when electricity price drops below x, turn on the smart plug
Whether you actually save money after buying all the kit I am not sure. But it's fun.
I was talking to a mate about the idea and he said he could jury-rig something. I think we'll cling on to the existing one for another year or two and hopefully some smart freezers will hit the market that will do the job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts