Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Has anyone charged at IKEA since the New Electric Highway tariff was launched?
Are IKEA still refunding the fee at the till? Are they refunding just the £3 connection fee or the full invoice amount including the kWh charged?

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,654 Posts
My assumption is that they'll either refund the £3 connection fee, or they'll just carry on refunding £6 a time seen as that is probably going to be the average charge anyway. I can't see them faffing around with trying to run different discount amounts for every customer - it's kinda crazy too.

We of course don't know the commercials between Electric Highway and IKEA - it might be that IKEA were simply running it as a promotion out of their own pockets, in which case it's up to them what they do with it.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Ikea's website confirms that it will remain a £6 refund:

"Although Ecotricity are changing their pricing structure, the IKEA offer remains the same. In order to continue encouraging customers to use this mode of transport, a £6 voucher will be redeemable in IKEA stores on the same day. Customers simply need to show their Ecotricity email payment receipt at the IKEA checkout in order to receive a £6 discount off their total in-store purchase, terms & conditions apply."

Electric vehicle charging - IKEA

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm guessing that means Ecotricity customers will now get this deal as well because we will have an amount on our receipts?

·
2,654 Posts
I'm guessing that means Ecotricity customers will now get this deal as well because we will have an amount on our receipts?
I always assumed they did anyway. I don't see why not.

·
2,654 Posts
So if I connect and take 2kWh then EH will charge me £3.34 and Ikea will give me £6?

This isn't going to last very long is it.
As I mused above, I think this is very much IKEA's promotion. I suspect they've been funding it all along, probably from a sustainability and/or marketing budget, although who knows if there is a profit sharing agreement in place with Ecotricity.

It's a clever way for IKEA to incentivise people - a £6 rebate encourages people to drive EVs to their stores and not fossil fuel emissions, and is probably the average spend under the new tariff. But also, those who were previously tempted to leave their car on a rapid charger for 2 hours whilst they shopped are now more likely to stay with their car for a few minutes, only take the electricity they need, then benefit from a small discount for leaving the charger for someone else to use.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
How do you get a receipt out of an EH charger? And surely it won't do that 'till you've made your IKEA visit, paid for any goods, loaded up, disconnected and are ready to drive away. 'Oh, where's my refund?' Or do you just tell them at the checkout you're charging up your EV outside?

·
2,654 Posts
How do you get a receipt out of an EH charger? And surely it won't do that 'till you've made your IKEA visit, paid for any goods, loaded up, disconnected and are ready to drive away. 'Oh, where's my refund?' Or do you just tell them at the checkout you're charging up your EV outside?
You get emailed when the charge is completed - which if you're in the store you can pick up using their WiFi, but remember that if you're in the store past the point at which the charge finishes there'll inevitably be somebody outside getting annoyed with you for not moving your car out of the way ;)

I've only done it twice, but it's been fine both times.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
You get emailed when the charge is completed - which if you're in the store you can pick up, but remember that if you're in the store past the point at which the charge finishes there'll inevitably be somebody outside getting annoyed with you for not moving your car out of the way ;)
Aren't you allowed your 30 - 45 minutes worth then? I thought the idea was the car charged while you shop, not that it has to add another 30-45 minutes to your visit. That's what happens at Lidl.
If I drive to my nearest IKEA my battery would be down from 100% leaving home to around 30% at the store which is 80 miles away from me. A 5 minute boost won't help me get back home.

·
2,654 Posts
Aren't you allowed your 30 - 45 minutes worth then? I thought the idea was the car charged while you shop, not that it has to add another 30-45 minutes to your visit. That's what happens at Lidl.
If I drive to my nearest IKEA my battery would be down from 100% leaving home to around 30% at the store which is 80 miles away from me. A 5 minute boost won't help me get back home.
Of course you can charge for up to 45 minutes, but the general etiquette is that you then move your vehicle. I charge whilst I shop because I generally can't stand more than 30-45 minutes in IKEA anyway, but there have been many people complaining on here before of people leaving their car on the charger for hours on end when realistically they could have moved it.

Unfortunately, the rapid chargers at IKEA are not destination chargers, and sadly they didn't have the foresight to install the desination chargers that really should be there instead, so we are stuck with them - but this doesn't mean they should be used as desination chargers.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Thanks fo that. Still wondering how you get a receipt out of an EH charger. I suspect the Leeds store won't even have a receivable mobile signal to initiate a charge or receive any communication from the EH. Guess I'll continue not to bother with them.

·
2,654 Posts
Thanks fo that. Still wondering how you get a receipt out of an EH charger. I suspect the Leeds store won't even have a receivable mobile signal to initiate a charge or receive any communication from the EH. Guess I'll continue not to bother with them.
You are emailed a receipt, as I said.

If there isn't any mobile signal, then the charger will be on free vend anyway. If the charger has signal, then you can use the charger's low power WiFi hotspot to start the charge.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Last time I was Leeds IKEA I couldn't get a mobile signal which was before charging for charging started. But that doesn't mean the charger can't get a signal surely, or maybe it does? Is the Leeds IKEA on permanent free vend?
As to not being a destination charger, for me it would be, if one's local maybe that wouldn't be the case!

·
Registered
152 Posts
You get emailed when the charge is completed - which if you're in the store you can pick up using their WiFi, but remember that if you're in the store past the point at which the charge finishes there'll inevitably be somebody outside getting annoyed with you for not moving your car out of the way ;)

I've only done it twice, but it's been fine both times.
I used the Ikea at Warrington a couple of weeks ago (less than 2 miles away) just so i could have a go of a rapid charger for the first time and get my head around using the app etc. All easy enough and went for a very quick shop around to buy some bits to offset the then £6 charging fee! Got held up in the queue so was in for about 40 mins. Once back to the car another Leaf had pulled up opposite and disconnected the Chademo from mine and started a charge on theirs. My charge had finished so am completely fine with that, they'd replaced charging cover so all was fine. Just wondered what the usual etiquette would be in this situation.

Set your charge off and go shop or eat in the store. Once it's finished, you'll get an email invoice/receipt which you just show at the till to be deducted from your shop (only from item purchases not food in the restaurant I believe) Your correct it's unlikely you'll have a good signal once inside Ikea but just connect using their free wifi.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
My experience of free wi-fi's is that your presented with a page or two of A4 T&C's which you have to read and agree to and then try to input a password if you know what it is to log in to access the wi-fi.
Typical example here: Wi-Fi User Terms & Conditions - IKEA

Trouble is my tiny screen makes these pages only readable by ants. While OK at home on the PC monitor, not helpful in a store when I haven't got my PC with me. I've experienced this by several providers, eg rail and bus operators Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury's. I just give up and don't bother with it.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Wow, how’d you get 80 miles from 70%? Is yours a 30?
Indeed it is. Managed 100 on Monday from 97% and still two bars on the GOM when I got back and that was after ascending Sutton Bank during the journey and a 25 mile sprint on the A1. (Works out at approx 5m/kWh.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts