Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to IKEA last night with the family. When I arrived, one ZOE and one LEAF (both apparently charging/in need of a charge). When we left some time later, another ZOE (who I know uses it in lieu of a home charger) was on the plug.

We did need A charge, but fortunately we could get home (a few miles away) so it wasn't a major deal.

Recently I've driven by at different times of day and it's ALWAYS occupied at MK Ikea.

Is it time Ecotricity doubled up, or does having a dealer rapid a couple of miles away put them off?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would agree with the doubling up..... I popped into IKEA on a genuine trip later in the evening this week and nobody was on it.... so I thought I'd have a cheeky charge.

Came out about 15 minutes later to a reception party, partly asking about the car and partly asking why I was charging? :oops:

It appears that free charging within a stones throw from home is a great draw..... when Ecotricity start charging I suspect it may not get the use it does now! ;)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I went to IKEA last night with the family. When I arrived, one ZOE and one LEAF (both apparently charging/in need of a charge). When we left some time later, another ZOE (who I know uses it in lieu of a home charger) was on the plug.

We did need A charge, but fortunately we could get home (a few miles away) so it wasn't a major deal.

Recently I've driven by at different times of day and it's ALWAYS occupied at MK Ikea.

Is it time Ecotricity doubled up, or does having a dealer rapid a couple of miles away put them off?
I tend to use it about 8:30 in the morning if I know I'm planning to use the car after I get home that evening. It's never been in-use then!

However, it clearly does get decent amounts of use - I wonder if Ecotricity have a threshold at which point they decide a second charger is required. Though I also wonder if they will ever double-up IKEA chargers given that they are rarely the only Rapid in the area, unlike Motorway chargers.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Although you're using it, so it's in use. ;)
Pedant! It's always free at 08:29 and always free at 08:51, in my experience :)

Reactions: nattydread

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
How is it of a night time? I will need to use it around 10.30 at night in a month, I expect its not busy then? just store opening times? I have only used it once at night, there is a security guard on site.

·
Registered
307 Posts
How is it of a night time? I will need to use it around 10.30 at night in a month, I expect its not busy then? just store opening times? I have only used it once at night, there is a security guard on site.
I used to charge there at 8:10 am during school term time but don't now that I can slow charge at work instead. I agree that it's always seems busy during the daytime. Definitely got a lot busier since Chargemaster put in fees.

Nightime is fine. I occasionally use it when coming back from tennis at 9:30 pm and it's always available.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Pedant perhaps but consider this... anyone turning up at say, 8.40 every day, might conclude that it is always in use when in fact it might not be used for the rest of the day :)

I think that this shows that we should be cautious when assuming the level of use at a charging location. Our impressions are always subjective and may lead us to incorrect assumptions. The only people that know how much a location is used is the network operator (Ecotricity in this case).

A good example of this is that I used a Electric Highway location a few months ago. It was one that had been live for many months, I had used many times and I know many others had also used it from #ukcharge tweets. Nevertheless, I was approached by the services manager who said he was pleased to see it finally getting used and said I was the first to use it!!! I explained that I wasn't the first but he looked rather disbelievingly at me.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Pedant perhaps but consider this... anyone turning up at say, 8.40 every day, might conclude that it is always in use when in fact it might not be used for the rest of the day :)

I think that this shows that we should be cautious when assuming the level of use at a charging location. Our impressions are always subjective and may lead us to incorrect assumptions. The only people that know how much a location is used is the network operator (Ecotricity in this case).

A good example of this is that I used a Electric Highway location a few months ago. It was one that had been live for many months, I had used many times and I know many others had also used it from #ukcharge tweets. Nevertheless, I was approached by the services manager who said he was pleased to see it finally getting used and said I was the first to use it!!! I explained that I wasn't the first but he looked rather disbelievingly at me.
You make a valid point - except that I'm not there at at that time every day (once or twice a month, probably!)

However, I have been there at various other times, including weekends, and I'd say it's been in use on most of those occasions *or* someone has arrived to use it while I've been there if it's been during store opening hours.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm over there a couple of times during the week at random hours to do a small mid week top up shop at Asda or heading over to the Post Office pick up point. In general, when I've glanced over there's a vehicle on charge. You have little chance of getting an immediate charge at lunchtimes now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've never seen another EV there when we've been - and yes, we have charged up while we're shopping so that's one out of two spaces out of action for the duration. (That said, we don't visit very often and it's almost always after work so early evening time.) I've not seen it ICEd either, but there are quite often trolleys stacked up nearby which can make it a bit squeezy...

·
Registered
585 Posts
I dropped in Saturday lunchtime to pick up some bits and both bays were free...
So I thought I'd have a cheeky charge while I did the IKEA sprint. No one was waiting when I got back.
The rest of the car park was rammed as was the store...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Well on Tuesday there was a tesal on the rapid for 3.5 hours the guy was from Denmark, I had enough miles to get home, but the 2 nissan's waiting were not happy

1 - 20 of 39 Posts