Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking if i need a card from ecotricity to use the rapid charger at Ikea Milton Keynes, or does Ikea lend it if you do not have one.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ecotricity card required. It was down last time I checked though, so be sure to confirm before heading out.
Indeed, Ecotricity tweeted that it was offline a couple of days ago.
You could always use the rapid at Glyn Hopkins, the Nissan dealer, just a couple of minutes away. That one doesn't need a card, and was working fine this morning.

Reactions: Aftab Ahmed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, Rapid chargers do seem a bit flaky. A new Rapid Charger installed a few months ago at BMW in Cambourne (CB23) has never worked. I phone Nissan in Peterborough and that was not working either.
I took delivery of my Leaf a week a go and I am really enjoying it. Getting British
Gas to fit my home charging unit is proving a bit of a challenge, no one turns up at the arranged time. I will ask someone else now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a source east card, so is the idea we have to have all those different cards for the different providers. They are not compatible with each other?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Sometimes they will work on other networks, but generally speaking they don't. Most Ecotricy rapids now seem to accept Charge Your Car (@CYC) although not sure if that works the other way, and sometimes the various "source" regional cars will work on rapids in their region I believe. It's a bit messy just now for sure!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the replies, Rapid chargers do seem a bit flaky. A new Rapid Charger installed a few months ago at BMW in Cambourne (CB23) has never worked. I phone Nissan in Peterborough and that was not working either.
I took delivery of my Leaf a week a go and I am really enjoying it. Getting British
Gas to fit my home charging unit is proving a bit of a challenge, no one turns up at the arranged time. I will ask someone else now.
We spent three weeks chasing British Gas to even return our initial call. Gave in eventually and went with Pod Point. (Still waiting...)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
We spent three weeks chasing British Gas to even return our initial call. Gave in eventually and went with Pod Point. (Still waiting...)

There are a bunch of companies who will happily install a charging unit for you!

The Phoenix Works are on this forum as are a few others. Mine came direct from Chargemaster who were excellent in getting it in

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I have a source east card, so is the idea we have to have all those different cards for the different providers. They are not compatible with each other?

Yes - you're likely to want to get a few cards. This will depend on where you want to charge

If you want to use the IKEA chargers & other Ecotricity then you'll need ElecHighway, CYC or Source London. Of these three ElecHighway card is free so try that one

Nationally Chargemaster has a fair number of chargers - many (ie. ASDA & Waitrose) are free. You need to register £20 at Polarinstant.com and use the iPhone app or the RFID they send you

In 6500 miles these are the only cards that I've used but also have a CYC card.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts