Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Ikea implemented a £6 fee I decided I'll try their discount policy. I red their rules and offer as well as T&C from their website to know where I stand.
After I've done my shopping (Christmas tree) to my surprise the discount have not been applied by till man as requested. After speaking to several till staff, team leaders etc. it ended up my purchase was not qualified for the discount.
So there you go if you want a Christmas tree you won't get £6 discount because the shop staff knows better even when there is no mention in their T&C about Christmas trees being excluded from it. :(

·
The best there is at what I do
10,482 Posts
How do you show that you have paid the £6 fee, do you have to wait for the charging to complete the 30min charge cycle and wait for the email to arrive from EH.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
How do you show that you have paid the £6 fee, do you have to wait for the charging to complete the 30min charge cycle and wait for the email to arrive from EH.
Yes.

I visited IKEA Birmingham last Saturday in the Leaf.

Parked as far from the door / charge point as I could. Always do this at any shop car park.

Went to customer services and asked them about using the rapid.
Girl behind the desk hadn't a clue but a passing member of staff informed me that I should plug in and start my charge, obviously using the EH app, and when the charge finishes (whilst I am still walking around their store), simply show the email receipt that Ecotricity will send me, to the checkout operator. Apparently there is a code in the email they use to enable their till to deduct the £6 I've been charged, from my shopping bill.

Didn't want to chance it as I was worried that the email (if it ever came - never had one before, as I've never been able to get a charger working with the app) would read £0 or FREE (as I'm an Ecotricity home customer), and so IKEA's system would be unable to refund me.

Also don't trust Ecotricity to also not deduct the charge from my 52.

Left car where I parked it and didn't bother.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. I waited for an email to arrive while eating and shopping. They were not really interested in email. They had a quick look and scanned a barcode from one of the tills to apply discount. But in their opinion because it was Christmas tree the discount didn't go through.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Yes. I waited for an email to arrive while eating and shopping. They were not really interested in email. They had a quick look and scanned a barcode from one of the tills to apply discount. But in their opinion because it was Christmas tree the discount didn't go through.
But what assurance have Ecotricity home customer's that they won't be "billed" by the Electric Highway, despite IKEA picking up the tab ?

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Um, if Ikea take £6 off your bill, you have had a free charge either today or at some point in the future. Even if Ecotricity take it off your 52, when you get to charge 53 that is the "free" one paid for by the £6 discount from Ikea, surely?

·
Electric Leaf Man
1,898 Posts
What I'm saying is that it's worth charging at IKEA as an Eco customer even if you don't need to as you'll get £6 off your bill.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Yes.

I visited IKEA Birmingham last Saturday in the Leaf.

Parked as far from the door / charge point as I could. Always do this at any shop car park.

Went to customer services and asked them about using the rapid.
Girl behind the desk hadn't a clue but a passing member of staff informed me that I should plug in and start my charge, obviously using the EH app, and when the charge finishes (whilst I am still walking around their store), simply show the email receipt that Ecotricity will send me, to the checkout operator. Apparently there is a code in the email they use to enable their till to deduct the £6 I've been charged, from my shopping bill.

Didn't want to chance it as I was worried that the email (if it ever came - never had one before, as I've never been able to get a charger working with the app) would read £0 or FREE (as I'm an Ecotricity home customer), and so IKEA's system would be unable to refund me.

Also don't trust Ecotricity to also not deduct the charge from my 52.

Left car where I parked it and didn't bother.
So in over 4 months since they introduced the "52 free charges for customers" you haven't yet managed to use any of your 52 and yet you're so worried about going over the limit that you refused to even use one of them?

I don't understand where you're coming from on this. You're complaining about what you imagine might happen, that you'd end up not getting a £6 refund on a free charge and yet you have no idea what would actually have happened if you had charged.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you're not using the 52 charges then leave them as your paying substantially more for your electric and gas. I see Ecotricity fan boy Ian Sampson on his latest YouTube blog has ditched them and switched provider

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
So in over 4 months since they introduced the "52 free charges for customers" you haven't yet managed to use any of your 52 and yet you're so worried about going over the limit that you refused to even use one of them?

I don't understand where you're coming from on this. You're complaining about what you imagine might happen, that you'd end up not getting a £6 refund on a free charge and yet you have no idea what would actually have happened if you had charged.
App doesn't work. It's total crap.

Ecotricity taking 1 of my (still remaining) 52 if I charge at IKEA is about principle.

Whether I ever use up all of the charges, or never use a single one is irrelevant.
If IKEA comp it, then Ecotricity are dishonest to deduct it.

No one seems to know for sure if they do or don't deduct these charges.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
No one seems to know for sure if they do or don't deduct these charges.
I think it's fairly clear how it's supposed to work now (though of course there may be cockups in the actual implementation):

• Your use of the chargepoint and payment or use of free charges is exactly the same as at any other Ecotricity location. This is your contract with Ecotricity which makes no mention of Ikea.
  • Ikea have decided to offer a discount in their shop to people who have successfully charged at the chargepoint. They are free to set what terms they like on this (though obviously they ought to adhere to the terms they publish: charging a different price at the till to what they advertise in advance is not acceptable).
Exactly what the deal is between Ecotricity and Ikea we have no idea - whether Ikea get some share of the £6 towards the electric bill, and/or if Ecotricity are now paying the electric bill, whether or not Ecotricity pay rent, who paid for the installation cost etc. Almost certainly it costs Ikea more if you charge and then take the discount, compared to shopping there without using the chargepoint - maybe it's worth it to them for the extra sales generated (but if so probably only in terms of maintaining a green image rather than extra sales directly to chargepoint users).

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Best thing IKEA could do, one morning before their car parks open to the public, is place a huge chain around the EH rapids, attach the chain to a heavy vehicle and wrench the things right out of the ground.

They then order EH to come collect their junk, or a skip will be hired and the cost invoiced to EH.

If I had the money that IKEA had I would deliberately get into a very public spat with Ecotricity over their way of doing business.
I'd invite them to sue me, and remind them through my solicitors, that I intend to counter sue for the bad information they gave me regarding EV charging. They advised me that rapid chargers were the way to go, when I have now found out that 7 kW chargers were much more suitable, and many times cheaper. The advice, I believe, was given to enable them to get a profit from my customer's on my premises, which goes against our company ethos.

Faced with the might of an organisation like IKEA they'd have little choice but to back down and scuttle away.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Best thing IKEA could do, one morning before their car parks open to the public, is place a huge chain around the EH rapids, attach the chain to a heavy vehicle and wrench the things right out of the ground.

They then order EH to come collect their junk, or a skip will be hired and the cost invoiced to EH.

If I had the money that IKEA had I would deliberately get into a very public spat with Ecotricity over their way of doing business.
I'd invite them to sue me, and remind them through my solicitors, that I intend to counter sue for the bad information they gave me regarding EV charging. They advised me that rapid chargers were the way to go, when I have now found out that 7 kW chargers were much more suitable, and many times cheaper. The advice, I believe, was given to enable them to get a profit from my customer's on my premises, which goes against our company ethos.

Faced with the might of an organisation like IKEA they'd have little choice but to back down and scuttle away.
How would a 7kw charger be better than a rapid. It would be blocked all day by one car trying to get a meaningful charge.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

I remain a supporter of Ecotricity and IKEA.

I agree the 7kwh chargers would have been better at IKEA. Worth remembering that some IKEA chargers were funded by the EU rapid charge network - hence the emphasis on the rapids

I wonder if some of the criticism people on this forum express is emotionally based rather than rational. I wonder if the "free" offer appealed to people feeling they were smart enough to see an advantage over others and take advantage of it. The change to having to pay may have triggered anger from their judgement being wrong. When we get things wrong we sometimes feel ashamed - and that shame gets displaced or discharged into blame. Hence the blame and anger directed to Ecotricity. Not fair to them in my view.

Ecotricity remain cheaper than Polar for most payg rapids - £6 instead of £7:20 for 80% charge.

My personal take is that Ecotricity are values led - they genuinely believe in sustainability - as opposed to purely financially driven as companies like Polar / Chargemaster are with their emphasis on a revenue stream for shareholders.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Because you don't put a single 7 kW charger, you put about a dozen, in dedicated parking places, that you have your staff police.

Customer's then get whatever their car can take in the hour or so they are visiting your store.

More benefit to more people.
If IKEA can't police one or two charging spots against blocking how are they going to police a dozen?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
About this Discussion
93 Replies
38 Participants
dkelly84
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing