Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I used this yesterday as I had to get a "Billy" for my mum.
1. Using the electric highway app start your charge (I registered with them to make the process quicker)
2. Get your 30 minute charge.
3. Disconnect and move your car from the charger into a parking space
4. Make sure you have the emailed receipt from Ecotricity/electric highway (I took a screenshot as there's no signal in the shop)
5. Do your shop and when you get to the till ask for your electric car charge discount, they'll need to see the emailed receipt from ecotricity/EH
6. The nice lad on the till will scan a barcode and the discount is applied
7. Pay for your stuff and leave the shop
8. Put the boxes in your car, put the trolley away and drive off.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I used this yesterday as I had to get a "Billy" for my mum.
1. Using the electric highway app start your charge (I registered with them to make the process quicker)
2. Get your 30 minute charge.
3. Disconnect and move your car from the charger into a parking space
4. Make sure you have the emailed receipt from Ecotricity/electric highway (I took a screenshot as there's no signal in the shop)
5. Do your shop and when you get to the till ask for your electric car charge discount, they'll need to see the emailed receipt from ecotricity/EH
6. The nice lad on the till will scan a barcode and the discount is applied
7. Pay for your stuff and leave the shop
8. Put the boxes in your car, put the trolley away and drive off.
Thanks for the info - I want to try a couple of rapids on mine so assumed I'd just have to pay the £6!

Electric vehicle charging - IKEA

·
Registered
918 Posts
As an Ecotricity customer, will a rapid charge come out of my 52 charge allowance?
If it does, can I still claim the £6 off an Ikea spend?
Re this point, once you're signed up as an Ecotricity customer, then yes, any use of the IKEA chargers will come out of your 52 allowance. At the end of the charging session, you'll get a receipt for £0.00, so there's nothing you can claim back from Ikea.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So you arrive, plug in to charge, then what? Are you supposed to wait 30m in the car, repark and then do the shopping? It makes no sense at all!

Shouldn't you be able to charge while charging?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Ecotricity has said they will never again put chargers somewhere like Ikea, as that type of location does not work for their system.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've managed a couple of times to plug in, do some shopping and get out again within 30 minutes. Alternatively, that's also enough time to have something to eat. Other times, I'm happy just to sit & read the paper.

As an Ecotricity customer, it doesn't bother me that the Ikea usage comes out of the 52 a year allowance, as outside of Ikea, I'm not going to use up all of the allowance. For myself, I find it very convenient, but I appreciate I may be in a minority!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've only used the charger at IKEA once, and I couldn't fault it.

Turned up, rang up Ecotricity to start the charge. Went to the restaurant and had breakfast. Rang Ecotricity back because I'd forgotten to ask for an email receipt, wasn't an issue. Finished breakfast after 35 minutes, moved the car.

Did the big trek round the shop, realised my Yahoo mail app was being useless again, and explained to the girl at the checkout I'd charged but had no way of proving it. Gave me the benefit of the doubt, and I was on my way.

On another note, if the IKEA refund is eating into people's free charge allowance, could you sign up for a second electric highway account that isn't linked to your ecotricity account and use that for the IKEA charges? Bit of a faff signing out and then in again, but I suppose it depends how much you want that £6. Or you could always ring up like I did if it's during peak hours.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
What a faff.
Can't IKEA simply put in their own chargers and say to customers... here you are, use them !
No cards, no apps. If the Brunswick Shopping Centre in the centre of Scarborough can do it that way I'm sure IKEA can.
Half a dozen Rolecs or Pod-points like the ones at home should do just fine and fraction of the cost of a rapid.
I wonder why IKEA went in with EcoT to create such a stupid system.

·
Registered
634 Posts
What a faff.
Can't IKEA simply put in their own chargers and say to customers... here you are, use them !
No cards, no apps. If the Brunswick Shopping Centre in the centre of Scarborough can do it that way I'm sure IKEA can.
Half a dozen Rolecs or Pod-points like the ones at home should do just fine and fraction of the cost of a rapid.
So you'd rather no rapids at all and just destination chargers?

Not everyone wants to spends hours in IKEA, if I've trekked all the way down there, I want the option of getting in, out and charged, quickly and for free, especially when it's manic at the weekends.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts

Ecotricity obviously filled IKEA's head with stuff along the lines of "these rapids are the only way to go with electric vehicle charging" and "just think how good having these things on your premises will look for your company's green image".

The entire exercise was all about securing locations for the EH, nothing else.

I am amazed that IKEA didn't insist in the contract that at no point may EcoT ever charge money for the use of chargers at IKEA. Proves they were genuinely "green" (and I mean inexperienced) with all this EV mallarky.

On principle IKEA should get rid, and install their own chargers, AC 7kW (just plug in) and a rapid (£5 for 45 minutes, or free with a code given when you spend over a certain amount in store)

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
So you'd rather no rapids at all and just destination chargers?

Not everyone wants to spends hours in IKEA, if I've trekked all the way down there, I want the option of getting in, out and charged, quickly and for free, especially when it's manic at the weekends.
Prefer no EcoT rapid. A Pod-point like the Lidl ones would be good perhaps. Pod-Point seem to be able to offer a more flexible system to suit their customers. All EcoT can offer is a one size fits all.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Not everyone wants to spends hours in IKEA, if I've trekked all the way down there,
My nearest is more than 30 miles away. This makes it a day trip. We could be a couple of hours in there and only buy lunch (actually, more likely to spend lots). This makes destination charging much more attractive.

People forget that this is the way things are at the moment and only think of their current needs. In the, hopefully not so distant, future there will plenty of chargers, with a good mix for all use.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Units at Ikea Reading are on free vend most of the time, and they even have "Welcome Break" on the display, so no prizes for guessing where these came from or were destined for.

I've had no issues other than a 10 min wait to get my £6 whilst they found the barcode. Works well, and look forward to more chargers at new Ikea shops.

·
Registered
634 Posts
My nearest is more than 30 miles away. This makes it a day trip. We could be a couple of hours in there and only buy lunch (actually, more likely to spend lots). This makes destination charging much more attractive.

People forget that this is the way things are at the moment and only think of their current needs. In the, hopefully not so distant, future there will plenty of chargers, with a good mix for all use.
Mine is 48.4 miles away. It can take just over an hour in traffic to get there, and the same back.

Some times I can be there for an hour, maybe 90 minutes if I have to feed my toddler while I'm there, but most of the time, the thought of traipsing all the way round the shop with a toddler at a snails pace is a waste of a day, I'd rather drive down there, go straight to the warehouse area and get the item while the car is charging, then drive home again and have an afternoon I can put to better use.

Please don't assume I'm close just because I don't like fighting my way around crowded shops. I probably could do it without charging, but then the car would be empty when I get home and leaves me stranded at home while it charges slowly.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Went to ikea leeds yesterday.

Discount refused in the restaurant (can anyone clarify this based on the tweet from November)

Discount grudgingly given at the till but the lady wasnt sure given my EH receipt said £0.

How this will work with the new regime I do not know

·
Registered
4,161 Posts

Discount refused in the restaurant (can anyone clarify this based on the tweet from November)

Discount grudgingly given at the till but the lady wasnt sure given my EH receipt said £0.

What difference does it make to IKEA whether you paid the £6 or not ?

They are offering a charge, with a street value of £6, free to customers as an inducement / reward for shopping at IKEA.

There is no way that they are paying Ecotricity Electric Highway for those charges, to do so would be mightily screwed up. They'd suffer a double whammy of not only losing a chunk of profit from the items they've sold, but also then having to pay EH £6, despite the fact that the electricity used came straight off their shop's supply, and the outdated slow charger is on their property.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

The discount is not allowed for food, food items, and delivery costs. So, you at least have to buy something from the main shop.
Full terms and conditions are on their website, link below-
Electric vehicle charging - IKEA

41 - 60 of 94 Posts
About this Discussion
93 Replies
38 Participants
dkelly84
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing